Help me understand secondary springs
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Help me understand secondary springs within the CVT, Sheaves & Wet Clutch forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I put a Hunterworks sheave, slugs and clutch kit on my wolverine (27" Bearclaws), and am trying to figure out what changes the secondary spring ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MassiveOverkill
  • 1 Post By mzwiz

Thread: Help me understand secondary springs

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I put a Hunterworks sheave, slugs and clutch kit on my wolverine (27" Bearclaws), and am trying to figure out what changes the secondary spring make.
    I have the purple spring and 16gr. weights. I have been seeing things about guys running the green spring, but Hunterworks says its more for the Viking. What differences will you notice with a green or a gold spring? (are they stiffer?) What kind of riding is benefitted from green or gold springs? I am in eastern Pennsylvania and generally ride rocky trails in the coal region. I am just trying to better understand how these cvt's work and how changing components will affect them. Thanks in advance for any input.

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1451 times
    Increasing secondary spring pressure generally keeps your CVT in a lower gear ratio longer and lowering it allows it to shift out quicker. Guys who are mudders, running big tires, or hauling heavy loads will run a heavier spring. More pressure or too much can lead to increased belt wear and not enough can cause your belt to slip. Primary roller weights also have the same affect with lighter roller weights acting like a heavier secondary spring while heavier roller weights will shift out quicker.

On Gen 1's, you have some RPM headroom to run a slightly heavier spring AND lighter weights without the RPM limiter holding you back. X2/X4 is a different beast.
    MORSNO likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 8000 miles and 500 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks, that helps me understand it better
    MORSNO likes this.

Sponsored Links