CVT cover modification - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

CVT cover modification

This is a discussion on CVT cover modification within the CVT, Sheaves & Wet Clutch forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; There is another way to get belt clearance. Some of the guys over on Grizzly Central have went to a narrower and shorter belt to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: CVT cover modification

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is another way to get belt clearance. Some of the guys over on Grizzly Central have went to a narrower and shorter belt to keep the belt at the top of the secondary and the narrower part of the belt sits in deeper for a lower take off clutch ratio. In the link they are talking about 3.45 to 1 clutch ratio. It's a very long thread at 20 pages if any of you care to look at it.

https://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum...velopment.html
    Budro2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrt1200 View Post
    There is another way to get belt clearance. Some of the guys over on Grizzly Central have went to a narrower and shorter belt to keep the belt at the top of the secondary and the narrower part of the belt sits in deeper for a lower take off clutch ratio. In the link they are talking about 3.45 to 1 clutch ratio. It's a very long thread at 20 pages if any of you care to look at it.

https://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum...velopment.html
    Thank you I’ll read it. I’m playing with belts right now only longer and wider since I have all the room I need. Don’t know if I’ll find success. Maybe I’ll learn something in that thread!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    I appreciate that heads from zrt1200. I enjoyed the read! I learned a few things especially another place to research belts!

Thoughts:
    #1 itís an old thread and later aftermarket machining has surpassed a lot of what is discussed.
    #2 primarily the people testing are using 600 and 660 sheaves, all of which lower ratios were accomplished with in the past than has been done with the 708!
    #3 the original OP of the thread was using a 600 sheave in his Viking to achieve the results (supposedly) and then dropped out of the conversation all together so I assume that means he failed on the 3:45 1 ratio
    #4 many people experimented with different sheaves belts shims etc. but also reported problems after real world testing and it never really was confirmed a valuable mod.
    #5 the last person to do something was fairly recent and showed video of his awesome grizz in action but with all Iíve done Iíve learned one thing for sure, I thought I had it figured out and it worked great till it didnít, so Im even skeptical that his work will succeed long term. However Iím not claiming it wonít!

That info may help someone interested take a different path at it if interested but if you do and you read this keep in mind those are lightweight grizzlies and the load on the CVT and the belt heat created are not the same as the wolverine or Viking!
    Taking the cover contact issue out of play I have achieved similar ratios (temporarily). I donít care if you shim or use a shorter narrower belt the bottom line is the belt can only go so far down in the primary before it loses grip or gets hot from the tight radius and goes kaput! That is why Iím hoping to find a belt in the opposite direction where it is longer and wider so it rides higher in the primary and secondary where it has good grip and less heat all while maintaining at least a 3: 1 ratio.

My belt failed with 1.5mm of shim. It works flawlessly with .5mm of shim. I just put 700 miles on a belt and it still measures like new and looks perfect. Noload ran a 1mm without problems but with smaller tires and heavier spring although he did brush the cover but the belt was fine and it didnít get hot and ate up on the inside where mine did with 1.5mm and 28s. Iím presently going back together with 1mm and my stock spring to see how it goes while I wait for this experimental belt. I fear that even if it works long term that I wonít like the belt temps when I get in deep snow due to the tight radius it turns in the primary. It works with .5mm but it still gets warm in there when I push the deep snow very long. This will be a test to see if the stronger spring keeps it from slipping in that scenario and eliminates the heat. If it doesnít then Iíll know the heat is just from the tight radius itís turning.
    It will be nice if Iím fortunate enough to find a belt that works to get it up out of the bottom of the primary and still function properly since cover is no longer an issue.
    erik likes this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Budro do you run a Razorback belt temp gauge? If not it might be a good additional tool to check belt temps under load for comparison. Its a nice unit and it reads belt temp not air temp inside the belt case. The SXS Blog.com guys use them on their turbo machines.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Budro do you run a Razorback belt temp gauge? If not it might be a good additional tool to check belt temps under load for comparison. Its a nice unit and it reads belt temp not air temp inside the belt case. The SXS Blog.com guys use them on their turbo machines.
    No I don’t, but I have considered it and looked into it a little!
    When i get in those situations I can pull the console and feel the cover and it’s pretty dang warm compared to normal driving so I know that heat is coming off the belt.
    The temp gage would be nice!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Well I finally got time to put the new sheave in and slug the wet clutch. Still no gain in speed in 660'. still running low 13's @ 48 mph. It does ingage the clutch at a lower rpm and I can crawl consistantly so slow the speedo says 0 mph. Seems to come off the line really hard but kind of flattens out through the midrange, but seems to come back on the top end. But I ran out of road to find out. LOL I have to try my new 28" Carnivores and see what happens.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Well I finally got time to put the new sheave in and slug the wet clutch. Still no gain in speed in 660'. still running low 13's @ 48 mph. It does ingage the clutch at a lower rpm and I can crawl consistantly so slow the speedo says 0 mph. Seems to come off the line really hard but kind of flattens out through the midrange, but seems to come back on the top end. But I ran out of road to find out. LOL I have to try my new 28" Carnivores and see what happens.
    Well I suppose if you wanted a race buggy you would have bought something different.
    I think you’ll like driving it a lot more now, especially if you do some crawling or mud.
    It’s still going to be better than it was stock by a good bit but just bear in mind as soon as you mount those 28s you’ll lose about 1/2 of the lower take off ratio you just gained.
    I’m assuming you didn’t put in a shim when you did it?
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    No shim. Todd said he did'nt recommend the shim because of the belt to cover clearance or lack of. I wish I had a tachometer so I could watch where the rpm's go through accelleration. I only had time to make a half dozen runs today. I'll have to spend some more time running it to get a better feel of how its working. It does shread the lawn good! LOL Installing it went pretty easy but those #@%/^&ing plastic fasteners stink, they slow the whole proccess down.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    No shim. Todd said he did'nt recommend the shim because of the belt to cover clearance or lack of. I wish I had a tachometer so I could watch where the rpm's go through accelleration. I only had time to make a half dozen runs today. I'll have to spend some more time running it to get a better feel of how its working. It does shread the lawn good! LOL Installing it went pretty easy but those #@%/^&ing plastic fasteners stink, they slow the whole proccess down.
    Good deal, just making sure!
    I see in your signature that you already have 27s. I thought you were on stock tires so you won’t be changing as dramatically as I first thought in your take off ratio when you mount the 28s from what your feeling now.
    Last edited by Budro2; 06-17-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    erik likes this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Well I put the 28" Carnivores on, witch actually measure 28.75" and in my 660' run I was only able to get 46 mph instead of the 48 I got with the 27" ITPs. But I guess thats to be expected with a taller heavier tire. I will have to get out the old GPS and see how far the speedo is out of wack. LOL
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels