CVT cover modification - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

CVT cover modification

This is a discussion on CVT cover modification within the CVT, Sheaves & Wet Clutch forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; The gold came off cousins, it probably ran a season or less??? It has 200 lbs of force when I compress it to 2.75 inches....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: CVT cover modification

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    378 times
    The gold came off cousins, it probably ran a season or less???
    It has 200 lbs of force when I compress it to 2.75 inches.
    2016 708 R Spec
    Hunterworks sheave 18gr rollers .75 shim, factory spring

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Well I guess we ruled out the stock spring! If it is an issue that can be solved with more spring Iím concerned white may really hold it back in the mid and top range with the larger tires as it runs out of power. Ive been bouncing this all around in my head and keep rethinking my problem solving strategy. The engine and CVT came from a light four wheeler with one passenger, now itís in a heavy machine with 2 passengers and gear, ď quoting TINKENĒ then we add bigger heavier tires etc. all this is bound to create heat even if the clutch setup is right. I guess the Viking was worse so they gave the wolverine larger air ducting which helped. With that in mind Iím still feeling like thereís a limit on heat produced through tire size sheave ratios and driving conditions. Iím not yet certain if slipping is 1st and heat 2nd or vise versa. All I know is TINKEN has proved the CVT can do more when heat isnít trapped around the belt. Furthermore, while the cover modification eliminates contact it also in a small way creates more space for hot air to be trapped inside in slow moving high load situations where itís not getting blown out well. Iím not even going to consider a fan. TINKEN runs a green spring and a lower ratio than me with success so later I think Iíll pull the cover and stick 1.5 back in and see where it leads. If it works Iíll know itís a heat 1st issue. The good thing is, is can reproduce the high load environment and Iíll be able to pull the center console and just look and feel down in there to see if damage is happening. Even check the belt wear periodically with no tear down. It may be that to go much beyond where your at that the cover has to go away! I still feel the spring can be at play due to your personal experiences as well. Just trying to decide the best way to troubleshoot it!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, .5 mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 blackwater evos, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links