CVT cover modification - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

CVT cover modification

This is a discussion on CVT cover modification within the CVT, Sheaves & Wet Clutch forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; The gold came off cousins, it probably ran a season or less??? It has 200 lbs of force when I compress it to 2.75 inches....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: CVT cover modification

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    The gold came off cousins, it probably ran a season or less???
    It has 200 lbs of force when I compress it to 2.75 inches.
    2016 708 R Spec
    Hunterworks sheave 18gr rollers .75 shim, factory spring

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Well I guess we ruled out the stock spring! If it is an issue that can be solved with more spring Iím concerned white may really hold it back in the mid and top range with the larger tires as it runs out of power. Ive been bouncing this all around in my head and keep rethinking my problem solving strategy. The engine and CVT came from a light four wheeler with one passenger, now itís in a heavy machine with 2 passengers and gear, ď quoting TINKENĒ then we add bigger heavier tires etc. all this is bound to create heat even if the clutch setup is right. I guess the Viking was worse so they gave the wolverine larger air ducting which helped. With that in mind Iím still feeling like thereís a limit on heat produced through tire size sheave ratios and driving conditions. Iím not yet certain if slipping is 1st and heat 2nd or vise versa. All I know is TINKEN has proved the CVT can do more when heat isnít trapped around the belt. Furthermore, while the cover modification eliminates contact it also in a small way creates more space for hot air to be trapped inside in slow moving high load situations where itís not getting blown out well. Iím not even going to consider a fan. TINKEN runs a green spring and a lower ratio than me with success so later I think Iíll pull the cover and stick 1.5 back in and see where it leads. If it works Iíll know itís a heat 1st issue. The good thing is, is can reproduce the high load environment and Iíll be able to pull the center console and just look and feel down in there to see if damage is happening. Even check the belt wear periodically with no tear down. It may be that to go much beyond where your at that the cover has to go away! I still feel the spring can be at play due to your personal experiences as well. Just trying to decide the best way to troubleshoot it!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Budro, any new results on your clutch testing? I ordered my Hunterworks sheave last week and I'm waiting for it to come! I'm going to mark out a 4 or 500 foot distance and time the machine in stock form and then put on my HMF pipe and PVC to see what I gained. Then I'll add the sheave and see what that gain is. I also want to check the top speed with each mod.
    Budro2, MORSNO and erik like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    No new testing yet! Still relying on it every weekend for turkey season. Then I’ll start something new.

Hey that’s great! I just threw everything on at once but still with stock exhaust. I got the PCV for the lean condition but always wondered weather there are minimal gains with it. Do me a favor and put it on 1st and test it. Then do the exhaust. I have a feeling that the exhaust is going to do the most and the PCV Not to much!

Don’t be surprised if your speeds go down in your test after the clutch work, depending on what weights and springs you go with.
    It’s not so much for drag racing as it is low end and better torque curve for muddling or hill climbing!

Noload and Overload have tested different setups and the machine with 14 gr weights and purple spring with a PCV Always loses to the one with gold spring and 18 gr weights with no PCV, until he hits the rev limiter and then the other one takes over of course!

Can’t wait for a report about your findings, it will be interesting and educational!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Ok, here's my base line runs. My machine is all stock engine and clutch. First three runs were at 660ft./1/8 mile, 1st run, 47mph-13.40 seconds. 2nd run, 48mph-13.33 seconds. 3rd run, 48mph-13.40 seconds. Next three runs were at 300ft. 1st run, 40mph-7.93 seconds, 2nd run, 40mph-7.95 seconds, 3rd run, 40mph-7.95 seconds. This is hardly an Accutime System, just me on a measured distance watching the speedo and using a stopwatch. I will post my results after I install my HMF exhaust and the Power Comander V. Once I record those times and speeds I will install the Hunterworks clutch kit and do it again. Another thing that might scew my results is weather, in typical Wisconsin fashion it was 81 degrees two days ago, and today 47. Who knows what it will be by the time I get the next mods done. LOL
    Budro2 and Jraoffroad like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Here's the next set of runs with the Power Commander V and HMF exhaust installed. 1st run [email protected] 47 mph, 2nd run [email protected] 47 mph, 3rd run [email protected] 48 mph. No improvment from stock. :-( Thats disapointing! I'm glad I only paid $20 for the pipe ( used ). I did notice the PCV did smooth out the engine and it starts much better! These runs were at 660', I didn't bother with 300' runs as I saw no improvment at 660'. Next step, install the Hunterworks sheave. As per typical Wisconsin weather it was 82 degrees yesterday when I was out riding, and today I had close to the same coditions as the last runs. 54 degres and 82% humidity.
    Budro2 and Jraoffroad like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    I didn’t think the PCV would help but I did think the exhaust might. The PCV is still a great investment in my opinion to fix the lean condition and get past the rev limiter! What spring and weights are you installing?
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    LJ3- the Titan is advertised with dyno numbers of 4 to 5 HP if I remember correctly and I am sure that those results are with proper afr setup with a fuel curve. About 10% increase in power would surely have to give performance improvement. So what program were you running or how was it setup?
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, OEM stickguards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    LJ3 - first wanted to say I appreciate your testing, it's hard without a dyno and 100% controlled conditions, but the info you're providing is still, imo, useful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    LJ3- the Titan is advertised with dyno numbers of 4 to 5 HP if I remember correctly and I am sure that those results are with proper afr setup with a fuel curve. About 10% increase in power would surely have to give performance improvement. So what program were you running or how was it setup?
    I thought I read that too (about a few HP increase). Todd told me there would be no noticeable change going from his map to a 'custom' for this exhaust.

So I agree with Jimclemjr's question, what map/program are you running on the PCV?
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    I'm using the program that Todd has on his PCVs for the HMF pipe with the AIS blocked off. When I get time I will put in the clutch kit, I have a green spring and 16 gram weights.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels