Electric fan not running
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Electric fan not running

This is a discussion on Electric fan not running within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Well I went riding a few weeks ago and noticed that my over heating light came on. I saw it a little too late and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Electric fan not running

Member #
    Member #

Electric fan not running

Well I went riding a few weeks ago and noticed that my over heating light came on. I saw it a little too late and my overflow cap came off and antifreeze boiled over. So the fan would run when the red over heating light would kick on but wouldn’t kick on at all when it got up to normal operating temp(where it should kick on). So wired the fan direct, it kicks on fine it’s not locked up. Replaced the Thermo sensor above the thermostat. Still fan doesn’t work. Checked the relay it works. I bought a Thermo Switch but cant find where it is located. It’s got two wires on it but can’t find it. After I find this switch and replace it, I might just run it on a toggle switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    3500lb Synthetic Mad Dog Winch
    Dragonfire Four Point Harnesses
    24" Lightbar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    I am not but maybe its a thermo fuse which is at a cluster of wires behind and top of the rad area wrapped up. could the dealer or parts blow out image help. I haven't heard this mentioned before.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Southern, Ont. Canada

>6000 km and going June 22nd, 2020
    [/B]
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires (threads look excellent w/5000km on them now)
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar
    Backup Lights & interior overhead added

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    If you have a 2019 X2 the thermo switch is located in the wiring harness. Go to Partspitstop web site and it shows that part number and a location. Difficult to explain but you can use that for a start. Most likely the same for a 2020. Electrical 3. Good luck.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    @stacked01
    Go to settings and fill out your signature. It really helps us help you!
    It eliminates the questions about which machine you have, etc...
    Harry
    blast likes this.
    2020 Wolverine X2 XT-R
    Front and Rear anti-sway bars deleted
    OEM center mount mirror
    OEM cargo box
    OEM front A frame guards/skid plates
    OEM spare tire rack in bed
    Yamaha Adventure Pro
    EMP drivers door mounted side mirror
    WiFi back up/rearview camera monitored on either my iphone or the adventure pro.

Member #
    Member #
    I probably should have mentioned that it’s a 2016 R-spec. Number 42 in the picture is what I’m looking for. It’s not on the chassis either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    24" Lightbar

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacked01 View Post
    Well I went riding a few weeks ago and noticed that my over heating light came on. I saw it a little too late and my overflow cap came off and antifreeze boiled over. So the fan would run when the red over heating light would kick on but wouldn’t kick on at all when it got up to normal operating temp(where it should kick on). So wired the fan direct, it kicks on fine it’s not locked up. Replaced the Thermo sensor above the thermostat. Still fan doesn’t work. Checked the relay it works. I bought a Thermo Switch but cant find where it is located. It’s got two wires on it but can’t find it. After I find this switch and replace it, I might just run it on a toggle switch.
    If the fan ever comes on then that isn't the problem. It is just a auto reset circuit breaker.

You said fan will run when overheat light is on. That tells you that the part is passing current to the fan.

The sensor in the thermostat housing controls the fan THROUGH the ECU.
    Paul65, Stacked01 and blast like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    553 times
    Thermo fuse location
    Name:  15892437552428086282065588922537_1589243785222.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  895.8 KB
    Paul65 and blast like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2017 Hunterworks - AIS Block Off Plate
    2017 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plug
    2019 Yamaha - Windshield
    2019 Yamaha - Rear View Mirror
    2019 Yamaha - Roof
    2019 Emp - Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv - Rear Window.
    2019 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2019 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plugs

Member #
    Member #
    So what you're saying is that the ECU controls when the fan kicks on? Replacing the thermo fuse would essentially do nothing for me. So to fix the problem I would have to replace the ECU, which I probably won't end up doing. Instead I would just run it to a toggle switch and install a water temp sensor. It's strange that it seemed to happen all of a sudden on the trail. This thing has been a tank until this, first problem so far with 900 miles.
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    24" Lightbar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    Don't forget to burp all the air out of system. The thermo sensor at the t=stat stays in an air pocket and will not read properly until its bled. You should also replace your t'stat if you have overheated or at least pull it and check it, as often they get damaged.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Member #
    Member #
    Yea I bled the air out before starting it up. When I install the temp sensor tomorrow I will have to bleed it all over again haha. I did an Ohm test on the old thermo sensor before I replaced it and it passed. (The resistance decreased when I put it in hot water) But I replaced it with a new one anyway. Now the thermostat itself I think is working because I removed the radiator cap when the motor was running while cold and it wasn't circulating but when the engine warmed I could tell the thermostat opened up because it was circulating. I might still replace it though just to be safe. I found a Wolverine fan override online for about 100 bucks that is looking like my best option at this point.
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    24" Lightbar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links