Electric fan not running - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Electric fan not running

This is a discussion on Electric fan not running within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; IIRC the sensor is a one wire which grounds to signal the ECU, so if you used a lot of teflon tape and did not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Electric fan not running

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    IIRC the sensor is a one wire which grounds to signal the ECU, so if you used a lot of teflon tape and did not torque very tight to get it grounded, maybe disrupt the signal. Could try an alligator clip jumper to block on it to check. Probably not the problem but maybe worth checking your motor grounding thru the big ground cable on front of the block.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    BTW when you wired the fan direct did you do both leads + & - ? Check the ground on the fan lead to make sure it is making connection. Might check the wiring diagram to make sure where that ground goes.....
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Member #
    Member #
    Grounds are good and clean. Didn't use any teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads cause it didn't look like they used any from the factory. When I wired it direct what I did was ran one positive lead up to the battery and one up to the negative terminal started right up.
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    3500lb Synthetic Mad Dog Winch
    Dragonfire Four Point Harnesses
    24" Lightbar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    557 times
    I thought I remembered reading someone else had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad ECU.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2017 Hunterworks - AIS Block Off Plate
    2017 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plug
    2019 Yamaha - Windshield
    2019 Yamaha - Rear View Mirror
    2019 Yamaha - Roof
    2019 Emp - Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv - Rear Window.
    2019 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2019 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plugs

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacked01 View Post
    Grounds are good and clean. Didn't use any teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads cause it didn't look like they used any from the factory. When I wired it direct what I did was ran one positive lead up to the battery and one up to the negative terminal started right up.
    You just need to confirm a good negative is in factory supply. Had you only ran the positive and running off of the factory negative that would have already confirmed that it is a good negative.

Member #
    Member #
    How would I go about that? Leave the factory negative hooked up then just run a positive right up to the battery right? So the weirdest thing happened last night while installing my aftermarket temp sensor. I let the motor get up to around 195 to check for leaks and stuff fan never kicked on. Turned the motor off then and put the key in the on position without starting the motor.. bam fan started running. So I was excited started the bike up. Shortly after I started it maybe 5 seconds the fan shut off. Fairly confused now I will try what you suggested about the ground. Any idea where the fan wiring is actually grounded to the frame? Thanks for the help guys feels like I'm getting closer to finding the problem.
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    24" Lightbar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacked01 View Post
    How would I go about that? Leave the factory negative hooked up then just run a positive right up to the battery right? So the weirdest thing happened last night while installing my aftermarket temp sensor. I let the motor get up to around 195 to check for leaks and stuff fan never kicked on. Turned the motor off then and put the key in the on position without starting the motor.. bam fan started running. So I was excited started the bike up. Shortly after I started it maybe 5 seconds the fan shut off. Fairly confused now I will try what you suggested about the ground. Any idea where the fan wiring is actually grounded to the frame? Thanks for the help guys feels like I'm getting closer to finding the problem.
    Question, you are aware the fan doesnt turn on untill around 205 or 209 cant remeber which one though.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2017 Hunterworks - AIS Block Off Plate
    2017 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plug
    2019 Yamaha - Windshield
    2019 Yamaha - Rear View Mirror
    2019 Yamaha - Roof
    2019 Emp - Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv - Rear Window.
    2019 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2019 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plugs

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    I think fan is on at 207 and off at 195. If you turn the car to ON when the motor is in that temp range , the fan will come on. If you turn it OFF with key, it turns off the fan power rather it has cooled or not.
    Grounding... once again check the wiring diagram. The ECU will only control the fan relay. I am not sure if it does it by negative or positive??

Member #
    Member #
    Yea I found out that it does kick on at about 200 or so. Least that is what the gauge says. So I did danielplace1962's idea and it didn't kick on with the factory ground. So I spliced the ground wire going to the fan and gave it a really good ground connection. Let her warm up to operating temp around 200 and bam kicks on. The ground connection was the issue. I never got a chance to look at a wiring diagram to see where the actual ground connects but it works now with that little fix.
    2016 R-Spec
    HMF Exhaust
    HMF Optimizer
    24" Lightbar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    A DC current is only completed when it travels full circuit back to battery thru the ground. The collective sizes of all positive leads that use the same ground requires the ground be sized to handle the total load. The Rhinos had some issue with grounds connections failing and then the load would take a shortcut to the battery thru an undersized ground load, which caused the wiring to overheat, melt wiring jackets and short out inside the harness. Which is not a fun bit of maintenance. I have not seen this reported on our cars, but that is a principle that can be at work and possible. So encourage you to check the wiring diagram and find the fault and fix it if other grounds are affected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links