Any tips for reinstalling cams?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Any tips for reinstalling cams? within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I'm having one hell of a time getting the cam sprockets under the timing chain on re-assembly. Any tips for getting them reinstalled? Thanks....

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By noload
  • 1 Post By kdt1970
  • 1 Post By jimclemjr

Thread: Any tips for reinstalling cams?

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times

I'm having one hell of a time getting the cam sprockets under the timing chain on re-assembly. Any tips for getting them reinstalled? Thanks.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Warn 3500 Provantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Hard Coated Windscreen
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Warn #3500 Pro Vantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Folding Windshield
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    Have you removed the tensioner?
    Tracen8r likes this.
    2016 708 R Spec
    Hunterworks sheave 18gr rollers .75 shim, factory spring
    Replaced decompression spring, dip stick, repaired header pipe at 1500 miles, new one at 5500 miles,
    top end rebuild at 3500 (new rings and valve seals) for excess oil consumption, tie rod ends at 5000.

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Yup. I replaced the piston, rings and cylinder with the update kit from the TSB. Bolted back up and stuck at getting the cams under the chain. I have the intake side installed, small pita, but the exhaust side just can't seem to get it worked over.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    How did you get the cams out in the first place? you may just need to reverse those steps.
    Do you have a Factory Service Manual?
    Last edited by kdt1970; 06-22-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    Tracen8r likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2017 Hunterworks - AIS Block Off Plate
    2017 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plug
    2019 Yamaha - Windshield
    2019 Yamaha - Rear View Mirror
    2019 Yamaha - Roof
    2019 Emp - Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv - Rear Window.
    2019 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2019 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plugs

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1048 times
    I have not torn mine down yet but from the manual, here is what I assess... you have run ahead and bolted the cam cap on without the chain being installed on both cams. The manual gives you a step by step with the little alignment holes in cam sprockets in the correct positions AFTER you have set TDC of the crank. You probably released the top cam cap while the chain was on and you need to reverse that process but with the crank and cams in correct locations and chain installed before torquing down the cam cap. When the crank is at TDC and cams are in firing position with the little holes up. There will not be any preload of the cam pad buttons so if you feel resistance, then something is not aligned properly or the pads are too thick under one or more of the cams. If that occurs and you suspect it the cam pad clearance put some strips of notebook paper between the cam and the pad and then put some pressure on cam cap and pull the paper, if there's pressure the paper will tear. After bolting down the cam cap be sure to check your valve clearance, and write them down in case you need to calculate and order new pads to get clearance correct.
    Last edited by jimclemjr; 06-22-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    Tracen8r likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harn, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kdt1970 View Post
    How did you get the cams out in the first place? you may just need to reverse those steps.
    Do you have a Factory Service Manual?
    Apparently not correctly! Damn things! Lol!
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    I have not torn mine down yet but from the manual, here is what I assess... you have run ahead and bolted the cam cap on without the chain being installed on both cams. The manual gives you a step by step with the little alignment holes in cam sprockets in the correct positions AFTER you have set TDC of the crank. You probably released the top cam cap while the chain was on and you need to reverse that process but with the crank and cams in correct locations and chain installed before torquing down the cam cap. When the crank is at TDC and cams are in firing position with the little holes up. There will not be any preload of the cam pad buttons so if you feel resistance, then something is not aligned properly or the pads are too thick under one or more of the cams. If that occurs and you suspect it the cam pad clearance put some strips of notebook paper between the cam and the pad and then put some pressure on cam cap and pull the paper, if there's pressure the paper will tear. After bolting down the cam cap be sure to check your valve clearance, and write them down in case you need to calculate and order new pads to get clearance correct.
    I followed the manual, mostly....The hiccup comes in for me trying to see the Magneto mark and lining it up to TDC, reading "Counterclockwise" and translating that into "Clockwise" in my head as I'm juggling the timing chain and the inspection camera and rotating the crank. I finally get the mag mark lined up and and start with the intake cam. I get it in, then the exhaust cam. NoGo! Just can't get it to go. Fight, fuss, Cuss, avoided the throwing of wrenches across the garage and decided to take a break.

Reset to today. Lined up the Mag mark with the screwhole mark by rotating Counterclockwise Check. Fiddle with cams a couple times, went with exhaust side first. Got it in. Intake side, struggling. Lightbulb moment! Looking down onto the head, exhaust cam in left hand, cam chain in right. Rotate camgear so the opposite end of the camshaft is at 10 o'clock is and raised up 20 degrees or so with the chain over the top of the cam gear . At the same time rotate the cam gear to the left, guide the cam bearing race into the Journal in the head, and push the tail to the 12 o'clock. there is a stepped cut away in the head for the cam gear to rotate into when you start it. Same with intake side, except start at 2, not 10. Then there's the whole into and out of to get the dots lined up. Easy Peasy.

Thanks for the replies folks!
    Last edited by Tracen8r; 06-23-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift