water pump seal! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

water pump seal!

This is a discussion on water pump seal! within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Looking over the service manual it really does seem the only thing it can be is the mechanical seal. It appears to me that it’s ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: water pump seal!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    Looking over the service manual it really does seem the only thing it can be is the mechanical seal. It appears to me that it’s 2 oz over full, however mine always looks like that when I pull the stick then after I wipe it off and put it back in its right at the top of the hash marks so I’m not sure if that’s the case here. The only reason I mention it is I’m wondering if it’s leaking just a small amount shown but it’s hard to gauge that its going down since it’s possibly a bit over full? I think 2oz would look like a lot of oil if you poured it out in comparison to what the rag is showing!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan
    exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 Blackwater Evos 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    2" Gorilla lift- Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    An out of the box thought.... make sure that you do not have a case gasket leak, albeit rare, if the overflow tube is not visible and just laying on the pan it could come from another source. Dipstick does look overfilled and I do not know if these motors will puke it back up if it is overfilled. if so you could see some oil on the side of the fill tube...??
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    I'm working on an overheating issue on my 2016 Wolverine R-spec SE. Only 550 miles. I replaced the fan, which ended up not needing replaced, Thermostat was stuck open so I ordered a new one and it is on the way. Flushed the old coolant, Relay and fuses are in working order. Someone told me i should check my Impeller before i fill the fluid back up. I don't have the manual but from what I gather I need to remove the engine to perform this task. Would you all recommend this as well? The only other issues I see causing the system to overheat are the Thermosensor, the ECU or the Water pump. Does anyone have any suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    You do not tell us type of riding you do or what the overheating 'ISSUE" has been. Your experiences and when they show up. So hard to give full input. If its been on-going "issue", my thinking is not the catastrophic drive sprocket nut failure. But to answer the question about impeller, if it were me:
    Take off the inlet and outlet hoses of the water pump, put a light in the front inlet side and use a probe and look to see if you can see the impeller and see if it moves under some moderate pressure. I am not so sure that if nut is not totally loose on drive sprocket that this will produce the info you need. If the impeller spins freely without a lot of pressure then its loose. But if loose it still moves the sprocket chain and drives oil pump so that will be some resistance. To see this you need to take off the intake system to the noise catcher below throttle body, jackstand!!! and remove right rear tire/wheel to get in a position to probe/look in the outlet side. You could maybe crank it without starting and see if you get good water delivery out of the outlet side hose that goes to back of engine. However you also need residual pressure while running so you need to probably hold a hand over it to see if it is developing the pressure with no flow.
    Since you do not describe your issue or events or type riding I offer.. how much mud or dirty water have you been riding? Ever time you go thru dirty water it leaves a little film as the water steams off. Just cause a fan runs does not mean it delivers the CFM it needs or that it can get it thru a dirty radiator. I recommend you take off the radiator and soak/clean it in a tank to get all the junk out of the fins and then install JBS radiator guards
    Put your thermosensor probe in a pan of boiling water and check resistance as per the manual, is not time wasted for your anxiety factor.
    Hope you got the upgrade fan.
    From my experience the T'stat will probably do it until the heat gets up from hard riding or summertime ambient and the dirty radiator chokes the system down again.

Hope this helps!
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links