Oil consumption recall for 708 cc engines - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Oil consumption recall for 708 cc engines

This is a discussion on Oil consumption recall for 708 cc engines within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by jimclemjr Yea they want photos of smoking. A couple things tho: Item 4 of Service Procedures says that after Yamaha approval and ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Oil consumption recall for 708 cc engines

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    Yea they want photos of smoking.
    A couple things tho: Item 4 of Service Procedures says that after Yamaha approval and receipt of parts kit, get customer's approval for teardown cause if they find dirt scratches on Pistons and rings then Customer is responsible for the labor of teardown and inspection. But it doesn't say if Yamaha will continue with repair and it will be covered. But seems to indicate that.
    Also doesn't seem fair that customer has to pay for the shims and valve setting cause you cannot do this procedure without that piece of the puzzle, hard to believe it would not be a couple thousandth`s different either way.
    I agree, shims, stem seals valve adjustment should have been included but I was so ecstatic to get it fixed and a top end done at 5000 miles I really didn’t mind paying that little bit. The price of the stem seals and shims was minuscule but there was 160 or so dollars of labor for that part. I asked them if they checked anything else for Yamaha upon tear down because I wanted to know the info to pass on and they said no. I was told multiple times they couldn’t believe how clean everything was! I think if you can confirm smoking and they approve it to send parts it’s a done deal, no looking back. Dealers should be on your side trying to get approval for you and not working against you to try and prove it’s not Yamaha. Yamaha already owned up to the problem. For me at least, knowing mine was consuming below 1000 miles and knowing the air filter had never been dirty, if they had not approved it, I would have had it fixed on my dime and it would have been the last Yamaha I ever owned. I give them credit for owning up to the problem. They have to draw a line somewhere on negligence but I believe there trying to take care of the issue for the most part!
    jimclemjr, LJ3 and Tripplec like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan
    exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 Blackwater Evos 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    2" Gorilla lift- Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    It just occurred to me, while scanning forum, that a MOST SIGNIFICANT factor in this matter that I had forgotten, is that Yamaha points to as a Customer responsibility and absolving itself, is the air filter cage issue that Gen 1 and the Viking suffered.
    https://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...ilter-fix.html
    So hardly seems fair that they create this problem and then try to crawfish out of it! Of course a good close inspection will show dirt scratches on the engine interior that had the air filter issue. Wonder what kind of a class action case a good lawyer could build out of this?
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Not wanting to take this thread sideways but I wonder what the 708's in the Grizzly's are doing... it is the same engine? Is anything happening in Grizzly world that affects us?
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec bought new 8/9/2019
    Yamaha windshield & full soft cab, rock sliders, rear fender flares, rear bumper
    Yamaha Warn Winch on EMP front bumper (looks great - not made for winching!)
    Richochet A-Arm guards
    Front & Rear LED pod lights
    Backup Camera
    Seizmik Windshield Vents
    Seizmik mirrors
    Removed all the warning stickers & badges
    Signs from doityourselflettering.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Black Magic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    Well, when the engine is worn and using oil and/or blowing it are not the head cylinder marked/scratched etc as well as the piston. All due the metallurgy utilized in engineering of the engine as well as design.

Its not like the owner is misusing the machine assuming the oil changes are done of course. As above it seems like a cop out to look for an out IMO.

Thus far my engine is fine but i expect a lot of KM more to go onto it without issues. I've no idea how Yamaha is going to address out of warranty machines in Canada but they should not wear out on there own the way some have thus far. Maybe a lot have failed resulting it this kit for the engine. I don't want to be putting many thousands down on an engine rebuild because of this.

If it wears out prematurely and not covered or addressed by Yamaha. Well it would be my last Yamaha machine. Period, if you cannot trust the manufacturer they don't deserve the business nor my money. I'd buy something else but not another Wolverine!!! You have to note this is NOT even a Yamaha designed engine, but a Subaru engine they used as well. So they used something they'd not vetted out and we pay plenty for the SxS tech. Close to double the money in Canada over their ATV Grizzly for example.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    Not wanting to take this thread sideways but I wonder what the 708's in the Grizzly's are doing... it is the same engine? Is anything happening in Grizzly world that affects us?
    The same problem is wide spread with it as well and Yamaha issued a service bulletin for the Grizzly also!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan
    exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 Blackwater Evos 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    2" Gorilla lift- Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Black Magic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    TSB's generally advise the servicing dealer mechanic how to rectify a problem or situation when it occurs. That how I understand it on automobiles. The don't make it a warranty service though.

6 months warranty on a $20,000 vehicle is nothing and how far or much you'd have driven in those 6 months.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Sponsored Links