Running Hot (Not Overheating) Questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Running Hot (Not Overheating) Questions within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; 2017 Wolverine R spec Special Edition. Very accurate Temp Gauge, Upgraded Fan with Fan Override Switch. Radiator fins are totally clear. (Use the Genie water ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By MikeZ
  • 1 Post By jimclemjr
  • 4 Post By doober
  • 1 Post By LeadSled01
  • 1 Post By MikeZ

Thread: Running Hot (Not Overheating) Questions

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times

2017 Wolverine R spec Special Edition. Very accurate Temp Gauge, Upgraded Fan with Fan Override Switch. Radiator fins are totally clear. (Use the Genie water and air religiously)

Just finished a 570 mile saddlebag trip in the UP of Michigan. I was noticing that the temp is getting to about 205 (fan comes on) temp drops to about 190 fan turns off but back to 205 in about 3 minutes. I was with a friend who has the same buggy and he is running 180-195 with the fan only occasionally coming on.

Questions: Could the thermostat be starting to fail? Could the water pump be starting to fail? Is there a heat sensor that could be starting to fail? If any of these could cause this situation how do you know which one? I looked up the replacements for thermostat and a water pump and they are not that expensive.

Not very mechanical so thank you guys for taking the time to respond.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I have the X2, but my fan also goes on when it hits 205, same as yours. That sounds pretty normal to me

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Thanks for your response. Yes, the fan is working perfectly my concern is that the temp is hitting 205 constantly meaning the fan is rarely off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Answer Found. I was wondering why I was not getting any responses to my post and since learned that what I had listed would not cause overall higher operating temps. I had failed to mention that I had switched to EVANS WATER-LESS COOLANT. I would have never imagined that it would be the cause.

EVANS is a very good product and have friends using it in in their machines and are very pleased with it. (None of them have a YAMAHA engine) A water-less coolant does not perform optimally with my 2017 Wolverine engine. (The engineering reasons are beyond my understanding) The Yamaha engine operates at the lowest temp with a 60/40 coolant. I learned that there are some other engines out there that are also not optimal with a water-less coolant but they are few.
    Scurvy and Jraoffroad like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    500 times
    Search some other threads and get informed on system and upgrades. The t'stat starts to come on at 158 deg (IIRC) and is wide open at 185. So once at oper temp the fan cycles due to signal from heat sensor at tstat housing, given by ECU to turn on at 207 and off at 190 (IIRC). If you have never had your radiator off and totally cleaned it, you might be surprised how much congestion it has in the lower sections, even with the genie and it looks clean on the outside. Never run one without a t'stat as for some reason they will overheat. I think the tstat serves as port to control flow.
    MikeZ likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    My buddy has a 16, had an overheating issue but swore up and down his rad was clean, I took out the bolts for the fan shroud, and started spraying water through the rad from the back, he was shocked how much fine silt came out, did this for 45 minutes switching from front to back until the water came out clear. He cleans it better now.
    LeadSled01, MikeZ, Budro2 and 1 others like this.

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Yep seen this many times. Just because you see dirt don't mean its clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by doober View Post
    My buddy has a 16, had an overheating issue but swore up and down his rad was clean, I took out the bolts for the fan shroud, and started spraying water through the rad from the back, he was shocked how much fine silt came out, did this for 45 minutes switching from front to back until the water came out clear. He cleans it better now.
    MikeZ likes this.

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadSled01 View Post
    Yep seen this many times. Just because you see dirt don't mean its clear.
    When you see dirt you know it is still dirty.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Resolved: The Yamaha engine is not compatible with a waterless coolant. 60/40 is the optimum mix. Running back at normal temp now.
    atkbike likes this.

Sponsored Links