engines dies ... sometimes
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on engines dies ... sometimes within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I just read through both PlumberJim's and Leadsled's posts about having engine trouble, as they seemed similar to mine, but not exactly the same. I ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: engines dies ... sometimes

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    343 times

I just read through both PlumberJim's and Leadsled's posts about having engine trouble, as they seemed similar to mine, but not exactly the same.

I haven't had a chance to really start trouble shooting it yet, but wanted to post and see what others thought it may be, because I'm kind of at a loss... here's the story/details other then some basic stuff like spark plug, etc.

This past weekend I wasn't able to finish the ride, needed a tow home. The ride was pretty muddy, but I've been in worse, and it was a bit wet, but I'd been in A LOT worse. I just rode for 3-4 hours the day earlier in similar conditions, no problem. Anyhow, so I was humming along fine around 5500 rpm, then it missed a beat, and engine was clearly not running right, lost power and died on me. Tried to restart, after a several cranks it goes, but sounds rough runs a few seconds and then dies... wait a mine and then managed to get it started again... was not starting nicely but I was able to get it going... then seemed to idle ok. Rev the shit out of it, bounce it off the rev limiter, engine is sounding ok. However as soon as I put it in gear and tried to give gas, it died (High or Low). seemed like not enough fuel or air, but it was revving and running in neutral fine.... I opening the air filter box, and no water, everything looked good. then a few hours later I tried again... same thing... but I decided to try Reverse, and it ran fine in reverse... WTF... got it on the trailer in reverse and took it home. Got home the next day, started it up just fine, put it in low, drove off the trailer just fine. washed it, moved it around the driveway a bit, everything seems fine now... but I can't trust that... going to take it to a back road this week and try some more testing.

One other thing: When I was getting it on the trailer to get back to base, I used the winch, since it wouldn't go forward (didn't consider Reverse at this point) and I had the bike running in neutral so it wouldn't drain the battery as much, well as soon as I press the 'in' button on the winch the engine dies. This as me thinking it might be something electrical???

Pretty frustrating getting towed home, this thing has been pretty bullet proof for a lot of rides... hoping to fix this, but intermittent issues ARE THE WORST to deal with!!!!

thanks for any suggestions or tips.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Mine started acting like yours and got worst as the miles went up.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadSled01 View Post
    Mine started acting like yours and got worst as the miles went up.
    cleaning the fuel injector was your solution? Did you have the same problems with it dieing in gear?
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Sounds like a bad battery or charging system to me, spark draining battery and possibly intermittent charging. Or...plugged fuel tank vent or water in fuel or other fuel issue.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-29-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    blast likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Alpine white

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Yep started out dieing in gear then rough idle and got worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    cleaning the fuel injector was your solution? Did you have the same problems with it dieing in gear?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadSled01 View Post
    Yep started out dieing in gear then rough idle and got worst.
    ok that's kind of promising. I've cleaned fuel injectors on my sport bike before, so that shouldn't be too bad. Guess I better clean out the gas tank too so it doesn't happen again. What's the fuel filter like on these? not good enough I guess.... I also saw you mentioned about being careful with around the gas cap when fueling, it can be pretty dirty there... I have noticed the same, and tried to be extra careful not to let anything in, but yeah you never know. need to be 'super anal' I think was what you said.

Thanks for your input!
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Even if that ain't your problem it can't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    ok that's kind of promising. I've cleaned fuel injectors on my sport bike before, so that shouldn't be too bad. Guess I better clean out the gas tank too so it doesn't happen again. What's the fuel filter like on these? not good enough I guess.... I also saw you mentioned about being careful with around the gas cap when fueling, it can be pretty dirty there... I have noticed the same, and tried to be extra careful not to let anything in, but yeah you never know. need to be 'super anal' I think was what you said.

Thanks for your input!
    Budro2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Keep us posted Erik. This is the best kind of discussion on the forum cause one day it happens to me and I don’t have to pull out what little hair I have left and i just get to fix it!

Hopefully we discover a pattern here! I’d be curious if the injector was the problem with Plumberjims too, before he throws in the towel and changes brands!
    Last edited by Budro2; 04-29-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    LeadSled01 and erik like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I cleaned the fuel tank and checked and cleaned the fuel injector. The dealer did the same also. Jim
    Budro2 likes this.
    2019 Can am maverick sport 1000R
    Lots of goodies

2016 R-spec eps (sold)
    3500 lbs Superwinch
    KFI mounting plate
    20" light bar
    2 Pillar mount Rigid dully d2s
    2" Super atv lift
    Super atv flip up windshield
    27” Tusk Terrabites
    Yeti cooler copy