engines dies ... sometimes - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

engines dies ... sometimes

This is a discussion on engines dies ... sometimes within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta Rocky Mtn. ATV sells the Yamalube Engine Med and ships to Canada https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ngine-med-rx-p Thanks PapaSkeeta, I saw that, however in the ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: engines dies ... sometimes

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    Rocky Mtn. ATV sells the Yamalube Engine Med and ships to Canada https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ngine-med-rx-p
    Thanks PapaSkeeta, I saw that, however in the fine print they said they do not ship chemicals internationally. As far as I can tell, my best bet would be amazon.ca at around $60 for the 16oz bottle... which I am considering... but I also may just stick with the Ring Free Plus... we always get the shaft for this kinda thing in Canada, ah well. c'est la vie.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    The inspection camera was kind of a let down... this is about as good of a shot as I could manage... seems like i can see some carbon but its hard to tell.

Name:  20190509_195649.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  3.94 MB
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    You likely don't have enough to be an issue then. Maintain the better gas for at least two tanks and see how it goes.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Well had her out for a decent run last night and no problems at all. Certainly feels like I'm in the clear, but more testing will be required I guess. Started using yamalube ring free plus additive, im sure i didnt get through enough gas to make a difference yet. Either way, with a nice clean fuel injector and new plug, shes running well. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    Good to hear. Once everything is good and hot for a while. It should be fine if its handles the riggers of the driving and not complain. EG Heavy throttle take offs, some high speed spurts holding its own etc.

You have the same machine I just got in Dec last year. I am being as careful as I can fueling the tank due to the back wheels mudding up the area. there is a gap in the factory mud guards I was noticing this week. its at the top and near the bottom but an area directly middle without any flare. Why on earth would they omit that area. I even get mud/water spread along my arm as well as jacket, side mirror, bars and the controls knobs because of this. It so wavy body area only a custom formed piece would fill it in.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    91 octane won't burn the same as regular due to the flash point. Many may use it due to some brands don't add ethanol to their 91 octane. Shell indicated this on their website that is all gas, 0 % ethanol. I'd have to check but go to their website for Shell Canada!!! No USA

Unless you're using Ultramar or such run along with Engine Medic RX. Don't run 91 as well. I wouldn't do it together. Ultramar is a fairly big chain and we had a few stations around here. Until you sort this out and clean out carbon it its there. I'd stay away from the no name station unless you have to. Keep it to a min.

PS: I'd stick to Ultramar if no tier one is available. Its not at the same level of cleaning but they'd adhere to standards better and have a higher turn over in their fuel tank. If there are tier ones in reasonable distance get a gas can of it for you Wolverine. It might thank you fairly quickly. Some peoples say it comes all from the same place but even if so won't have the additives the brands put in as well. Each one has their own package put into the gas.
    Ditto.....
    I had my Duramax breathed on by Bernie at BR Powersource years ago (this guy knows his shit....which I had is why I drove from Ottawa to Oakville area to get it done), and he was the one who enlightened me about good fuel versus regular fuel retailers. He told me to stay away from noname retailers, as they buy from cheaper suppliers to keep competitive. Seems that there is a big difference in additives at places you mentioned (Petro Can top of his list) and in the case of the Duramax, the injectors and fuel pump will be happier, longer, than if I continue to run discount fuel.

Might be a PITA, but try to keep a couple jerry cans set aside for toy gas. I throw empties in my truck and then fill em when I'm in town. I've got 2 diesel cans, 7-8 gas cans (2 for premix), and then some baby cans (1-2gallon) for straight and premix.....then again, I'm in the country so my wife can't question my sanity or motives as it's all about being prepared!

One more thing.....at least petro can has a points card, so you can score car washes, fuel, etc. My weakness is the black licorice whips or cigars at the counter.
    MORSNO likes this.
    2016 Wolverine SE EPS
    DFK Cab Enclosure
    Heater and Wiper/Washer
    SSV Works Overhead Radio

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gergis View Post
    Ditto.....
    I had my Duramax breathed on by Bernie at BR Powersource years ago (this guy knows his shit....which I had is why I drove from Ottawa to Oakville area to get it done), and he was the one who enlightened me about good fuel versus regular fuel retailers. He told me to stay away from noname retailers, as they buy from cheaper suppliers to keep competitive. Seems that there is a big difference in additives at places you mentioned (Petro Can top of his list) and in the case of the Duramax, the injectors and fuel pump will be happier, longer, than if I continue to run discount fuel.

Might be a PITA, but try to keep a couple jerry cans set aside for toy gas. I throw empties in my truck and then fill em when I'm in town. I've got 2 diesel cans, 7-8 gas cans (2 for premix), and then some baby cans (1-2gallon) for straight and premix.....then again, I'm in the country so my wife can't question my sanity or motives as it's all about being prepared!

One more thing.....at least petro can has a points card, so you can score car washes, fuel, etc. My weakness is the black licorice whips or cigars at the counter.
    Hahaha, thanks Gregis, I suppose it's my fault for thinking 'gas is gas' as it's not really the case is it... I do have several jerry cans around for toys/various purposes. I sold my 2-stroke dirt bike, so that frees up a jerry can. And I use the pre-mixed synthetic stihl gas for the chains saws, now so that's another 'baby' jerry can to use. I don't live in the country anymore, so it's harder for me to put on a lot of miles on the wolverine, which is a bit disappoint, but I'm gonna try!

talking about 'fuel' ... ever use any diesel fuel additives? any luck? suggestions? I have my first diesel truck (ecodiesel, hehe, a baby diesel) and don't want to have any of these issues!

Cheers,

(I see we have few wolverine's in Ontario, would be cool to organize a ride some day!)
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    I live in a small rural town < 2000 people according to the sign. I do have a local Gas station (MacEwen) which is an East Coast company. I talk to them years ago when the built this and opened up about 3 years ago. They claim there gas comes from the big three. It may not have their additives but is good gas. I get gas there time to time. I drive 20km to another town and have Mobile/Esso which is the same gas and a Top Tier grade. 30km and i can get Shell and others. I have at least 3 20L can for lawn tractor, toys etc and stock up when its cheap. It fluctuates a lot.

Its a matter of balance as well getting for example 50% or more of the gas you use in everything from a Top Tier station or whatever. But generic non oil company station I avoid totally. When I trailer my ATV/SxS up to another trail system form my area. I top off and/or fill up at the Shell Gas station as well as a gas can I take with me. I never go on a trail ride without spare gas (NEVER). I built a rack on my Kingquads hanging out the back to carry a 10L generic gas can which when added to a tank flashing low brought it up to 3/4 tank at least. With this SxS I am using one of my 20L because I can with the space.
    MORSNO likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Just as a follow up, I have had 2 good weekends of riding, and the engine hasn't missed a beat.

I have been using Shell premium 91 octane fuel, and adding Yamaha's Ring Free Plus fuel additive.

Also something interesting to note, as others have also found, it would often take 2 tries to start the engine... when I first got the wolvie it was sort of annoying, but after a while, you just realize it's the thing you do. Now, after cleaning the fuel injector, it starts on the 1st try.

Fingers crossed, I think I'm in the clear.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    Excellent to hear Erik. I have been running on TOP TIER gas since I bought this Dec past. I'll be filling up today after 209km of trail riding north of me this weekend. Its on the last segment which is solid. Its the lowest I have had the tank so I don't know how much fuel is in the tank. I have been using Regular 87 grade since other have noted these engine did not run well with high octane fuel and quit a bit more expensive as you know. My Mobil station is the closest one I can drive the Wolverine to other than that for Shell I have to get in cans in Belleville which I have to lawn tractor etc at times. Clean quality gas has to make a difference over time crud can build up. The engine as I read the manual will run on 86 octane so there is a good buffer on tolerance using the 87 standard. Hence 89 octane at shell would be quit satisfactory as well I am sure.

PS: I topped up the tank at a Petro Canada on the weekend close to where I trailered it to ride this weekend. Hence all top tier gas.

Good to hear the fabulous running never the less.
    erik likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsored Links