708 oil consumption significantly reduced! - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

708 oil consumption significantly reduced!

This is a discussion on 708 oil consumption significantly reduced! within the Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by MNDirtRider Thanks @MassiveOverkill - I noticed the updates seem to be working properly now too. What is engine butter? I've not heard ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 708 oil consumption significantly reduced!

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MNDirtRider View Post
    Thanks @MassiveOverkill - I noticed the updates seem to be working properly now too.

What is engine butter? I've not heard of this before.
    HW will be releasing a number of products under the TinkSeal brand which range from additives to standalone lubes. Engine Butter is one of those additives. I've been testing them.
    Budro2, MORSNO and atkbike like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/671163569748779/

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    By no means scientific, I have two recent observations of oil consumption in my bike.
    I told you guys earlier in the thread that i had just changed the oil after a winter's usage. The weekend after, I rode approx 50 miles of rocky, hilly terrain, almost all of it in low gear. I checked oil before the next weekend's ride and found that it had consumed the entire dipstick hashmark section of oil which is damn close to 200ml.
    I topped up, and went for rides on Saturday and Sunday, both very similar....almost all of it in high gear, quicker trails, bunch of road running.....basically the opposite of the weekend before but this time closer to 100 miles over the two days. Zero oil consumed....at least no level difference on the stick.
    Same Yamalube oil, ambient temps about the same, way different trail conditions and driving style. Not enough info to even guess if there's a correlation, but I will be paying more attention to details of my previous ride while checking oil level for the next one and keeping a log of events.
    Anyone notice anything similar?

Buddy offered that seeing how the engine had been used in gennys, that maybe they are designed to operate at higher rpms and they pass less oil by the rings at those higher revs? Just spitballing of course.
    2016 Wolverine SE EPS
    DFK Cab Enclosure
    Heater and Wiper/Washer
    SSV Works Overhead Radio

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    Well it is confusing sometimes for sure, while mine did stop the smoking and has been using much less with the additive I believe I cleaned out some carbon and possibly helped with consumption around the rings is my hunch.
    It is using a little oil and using more as the oil gets more miles on the oil and I think that is the stem seal issue that it has had from the start.
    I’m also thinking there may be something related to driving style or rpms but I haven’t put my finger on it. Papaskeeta stated in a different oil consumption thread that he thought higher rpms used more. All I know is mine used 2oz in the 1st 300 miles then none for 150 then in the last 30 it used 6oz, a little more than half the hash marks. The last 2 hours of that driving was something I’d never done which was dragging my pasture with a rake at 6 miles an hour. It wasn’t working it that hard and the rpms were low. Why did it just suddenly drop? It wasn’t much different than a lot of my driving up steep rocky grades at the same speed when it didn’t consume. Maybe not related but just poorer viscosity!
    I’m just trying to see if I can figure out a pattern in it like you. Don’t know if it will mean anything though!
    Last edited by Budro2; 05-15-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Cannon Ball
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Bummer, but low range forces higher RPM's which is the point to generate more torque but inevitably less strain on the engine.

Never the less it still doesn't wash. Keep and eye on it.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    I started thinking that driving or work conditions had a lot to do with this consumption but I believe for me I’ve found a pattern. The 1st time I added 6 oz of oil was after dragging my pasture. Then I took a couple trail rides and the level held. Then I dragged the pasture again and add 8oz. I filled it up and took to big trips. One was 55 miles the 2nd was 60. It didn’t drop a bit! That’s when I thought working it pulling the drag had something to do with it, but I’m going 6 to 8 mph, hardly in the throttle and it’s really not working it hard at all. Oil still on full took a trip to the same previous two destinations at the same speed etc 6-20 mph easy driving. Put on 80 miles this time, got home and it was barely below the hash marks. I’d say 11oz. What I’m thinking is that after about 350 miles it started to use a minimal amount as the viscosity breaks down, then I add oil and it freshens it up a bit and appears it not using again, but after 100-120 miles it starts drinking it again. I don’t think it’s related much to driving conditions as much as it is a viscosity issue. I’ve got around 700 miles on this oil change and I’m going to change again and also switch to rotella T6.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Budro2, I may have missed it, but what oil are you using? full synth?
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    Budro2, I may have missed it, but what oil are you using? full synth?
    I’ve only used yamalube so far!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought i recognized the name of the service dept, in my hometown, Go Davis! Yeah the head mechanics there are top notch and i would take what they say at face value!
    Budro2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drom5 View Post
    I thought i recognized the name of the service dept, in my hometown, Go Davis! Yeah the head mechanics there are top notch and i would take what they say at face value!
    Your right in my neck of the woods!
    Welcome to the forum Drom5
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Cannon Ball
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    I started thinking that driving or work conditions had a lot to do with this consumption but I believe for me I’ve found a pattern. The 1st time I added 6 oz of oil was after dragging my pasture. Then I took a couple trail rides and the level held. Then I dragged the pasture again and add 8oz. I filled it up and took to big trips. One was 55 miles the 2nd was 60. It didn’t drop a bit! That’s when I thought working it pulling the drag had something to do with it, but I’m going 6 to 8 mph, hardly in the throttle and it’s really not working it hard at all. Oil still on full took a trip to the same previous two destinations at the same speed etc 6-20 mph easy driving. Put on 80 miles this time, got home and it was barely below the hash marks. I’d say 11oz. What I’m thinking is that after about 350 miles it started to use a minimal amount as the viscosity breaks down, then I add oil and it freshens it up a bit and appears it not using again, but after 100-120 miles it starts drinking it again. I don’t think it’s related much to driving conditions as much as it is a viscosity issue. I’ve got around 700 miles on this oil change and I’m going to change again and also switch to rotella T6.
    My dealer said changing for me at around 1000km. I did not check with the manual but its getting its second change of Yamaha oil for its 1st service as I am at 560km on the engine. Zero consumption during the breakin I have driven thus far.

My next oil change later this year regardless of mileage will be to the T6 5W40 my warranty will be done by around then. I picked up a filter while I was there. It seems small but I'll double check the number later to ensure I got the right oem filter for this engine. $20 for it!!
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links