Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Running poorly

26K views 88 replies 15 participants last post by  Ted 
#1 ·
Hatfield outlaw trip last weekend 2016 wolverine 700 started running rough and backfiring , now I see white smoke but it hardly runs at all now. I checked airbox (clean and dry). oil level is good. Going to check spark plug next. No lights on the dash but not sure if these things are like a car and should have warning light on dash? Is there a sequence to check for codes?
Extremely wet this weekend with many deep water crossings, but I really don't think its related, like I said airbox is clean and dry.

#2 ·
White smoke is a sign of burning water/antifreeze, you may have a blown head gasket. What does your antifreeze level look like in the overflow bottle (right front wheel well)?

#4 ·
You'd gone in deep water. How deep is deep, above the gas tank. There is an opening breather just below the filler cap.

If so draining and fresh gas may be the solution.

Reactions: MORSNO
#5 ·
Yeah. This is what I’d go with next to check. Especially if your coolant levels are good and your engine oil is not milky.

#7 ·
Just the right amount of water splashing in one place or another could suck it in. Also, it’s possible his breather hose could be routed slightly higher than yours.

#8 · (Edited)
These tanks don't have a one way valve and are open free breathing. I added a mod to mine. Fuel inline filter and extended the hose as well and then down the vertical frame arm. Its in a thread with photos by the way. If the tank is low enough the cold water will create a vacuum as well as the air contracts sucking in water. I don't like the setup. My Kingquad had a one way valve and the hose was much higher as well most of use move it to the air filter area as well.

But I am near that depth of water. Its costs money and time to fix these if you're boating with them or other terrain.

Reactions: Doc T
#9 ·
Mine did the same thing, but without the white smoke. It was narrowed down to a sensor on the throttle body. Once the throttle body was replaced it ran good for a few rides then started back firing again. Compression, valves, fuel pressure, tps sensor, spark plug was checked and came back within in factory spec. I did clean the gas tank also. The 708 runs too lean. Jim

#11 ·
Last night I replaced spark plug (old plug was good but just wanted to be thorough). Removed and cleaned gas tank ( lots of dirt inside). Drained the fuel line. added alittle dry gas to eat the moisture up. Added new gas and STILL RUNS LIKE HELL.. Also relocated that breather behind the gas cap area to higher ground. We should all be anal about cleaning the gas cap area when refueling (lots of dirt in a 3 year gas tank).

#13 ·
On my ATV the forum have noted that the Injectors screen can get blocked by dirt etc. when the fuel is dirty. Since you've found dirt in your tank (I started a thread on a Pre Filter for it, mostly dismissed by the majority as not needed). There is a stainless screen in the injector which may need flushing out.

#14 ·
Great I will check and clean that this weekend.
While looking over the repair manual (thanks Tinken) manual states that if No fault codes on the dash to look at these four parts.
1 throttle position sensor
2 ignition coil
3 fuel injector
4air induction sytem solenoid
So I will check fuel injector due first due to dirty gas tank. Thanks for all your help. Love this forum.

#15 ·
The injector plugging up from crud in the fuel tank affected the fuel pump filter but also the screen in the intake of the injector on the ATV Kingquad 700-750's in those who played in the mud which they weren't designed for. A big suite of mods were done by the serious riders to endure the deep mud and water. The wolverine is not much different in that its no approved for either excessive environment crossings. Things happen, eventually. But its at least easy to check one you get at it which is a job unto itself on these non tip beds.

#16 ·
I believe it was number 4 on your list. Air/ fuel actuator, which is part of the throttle body. It does have screw attachments, but the sensor is not replaceable and the dealer replaced the throttle body.

Jim

Reactions: atkbike
#17 ·
FIXED IT... Cleaned the injector and it runs like new. Evidently the dirty fuel tank passed enough sediment through the sock filter to F up the injector. I pulled it out inspected it but could NOT see anything wrong. I sprayed it with carb cleaner , reinstalled and test drove it. All good now , thanks to everyone who helped.

#18 ·
Good to hear its fixed with cleaning the injector. It can't be a problem unique to other ATV like Kingquad who expose their gas to mud and dirt. Some use PRE-FILTERS on their gas tanks which are available. But not for the wolverine at this time.
I am happy to hear you're running well now.

Cheers.

#20 ·
#24 ·
I haven't had a chance to run that much gas through it yet, but was out for about an hour and it seemed great. I would greatly appreciate knowing how your cleaning of the vent breather goes. I still have it in the back of my mind that the high compression results from my compression test could of had something to do with it. However I'm starting to use Yamaha fuel additive to try and address any carbon deposits in the engine. Anyhow, good luck and keep us posted!

ps. if you get a chance to do a compression test (make sure the engine is warmed up) I'd be interested to know your results.

#25 ·
Try removing the gas cap while it’s running poorly. See if it makes a difference and breaks a vacuum.

Jim

#26 ·
Yeah, I discovered my breather hose was mostly plugged. A build up of pressure in the tank but ran ok. I believe it was pressure discovered when I opened it to fill the tank. I have since replaced the hose extension.

#29 ·
Damn, that is not what I was hoping to hear. few questions...

Does it run like shit from the get go? or does it run ok at first, then run like shit? Once it starts running like shit, what are you able to do about it? just limp home? towed home?

Did you get a chance to do a compression test on a warmed up engine?

best of luck.

#28 ·
Good luck, checking fuel pump pressure if off will cause a problem. I am not sure of the spec's on this system but other engines around 45PSI or slightly higher.

Reactions: LeadSled01
#31 ·
I would lean toward the new injector. But before installing the fuel system needs to be super clean as another spec moving into the orifice will get same results. Look online for the trick of cleaning the injector with a can of carb cleaner and adapter with a low voltage battery trigger to open it.

#35 ·
It sound like fuel pressure is a likely issue. It requires some specialized tools to connect to measure it. Was the tank dirty before you cleaned it . Pump maybe shot now...

I have not read what sort of pump is being used. Sometimes an aftermarket automotive pump can be used.

#36 ·
I wonder how the pump gets 'shot' since the fuel sock does a pretty damn good job of filtering small and big particles alike. Water maybe not... but would water actually damage the fuel pump?

This issue is so odd, since it's intermittent... I wish I could ride more often, and have a more conclusive determination that my issues, which sounds extremely similar (I'd gander it's the same), is also resolved. It worries me a little that this has re-occurred to leadslead01, and since I believe it was plumberjim, that never actually figured out the issue.... and just got a Maverick instead.... :yikes:

#37 ·
Pressure need to be within a fairly narrow window (PSI). Whatever the spec, dealer I am sure can tell you off the top of their head. Without sufficient pressure you're not getting the fuel and symptoms would be the same. As it is you appear to have looked and addressed all other areas. Hence, a process of elimination in addition to the technical logical deduction and testing have all expired. So whats left that can do this. A blockage somewhere, Ecu overheating, pump pressue dropping over time due to what (it getting to warm even though cooled by the fuel, bad internal motor contacts or some internal regulation failure).

I have come from a long time on Kingquad forum with 700 & 750cc single engines. I still have one machine. The pumps do fail or pressure goes out of spec, too low. You could ask your deal if they can test if when its hot and driven around for a while but getting gas on a hot engine may not be when they'd want to hook it up. I am just saying and trying to help.

there used to be an old saying. "When everything else has been eliminated whatever is left must the culprit"

We'd ask ourselves, what change or rather what can go wrong after it has run for a while. Injector, not likely as it pulses so often it would not unplug itself if it was restricted. IMO

Then Heat of the ECU, well running with the cover off for a while would change the thermal cooling under the hood, and sounding like a fuel issue appears to the issue and given that is accepted, then what could it be. Assuming the spark plug is good. Its lack of fuel. A bad or fouled plug normally doesn't fix itself. I gather its running fine after sitting a long time without really doing anything

Reactions: erik
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.