Brush Anti Roof Disrupting Mod
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Brush Anti Roof Disrupting Mod within the Wolverine How To forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Well I got tired of having my roof tear branches and brush as I go through grown in trails around here. I would be a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Brush Anti Roof Disrupting Mod

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times

Well I got tired of having my roof tear branches and brush as I go through grown in trails around here. I would be a common issues where ever vegetation is growing and not cut back. I am afraid I an going to get one or two that would tear the roof right off one day.

So here it is and intended to deflect all oncomers up and over the roof glancing blows only on the bars only now.

Materials all scrap on hand.
    - 1-1/2" ABS pipe approx 4.25" long
    - tie wraps

I used a hack saw blade in a reciprocating saw (hack saw would work but longer) to cut the angles and drill for the tie wrap holes.

No measuring specific other than the length so they'd be the same. Eyeballed and marked with a pencil.

Getting the slope and overlap was the hardest part. The 1st piece I did is the driver side and worked well enough. The passenger side was the 3rd try. LOL Murphy had me cutting too much away.

No Patent is Pending on this so knock yourselves out.

Enjoy your bush rides now.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Jraoffroad and DirtRider612 like this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    591 times
    Should work. I've seen screw the front to cage also. I've always just thought of it as an automatic trail trimming system.
    Budro2, jimclemjr and DirtRider612 like this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraoffroad View Post
    Should work. I've seen screw the front to cage also. I've always just thought of it as an automatic trail trimming system.
    You wouldn't think of it like that if your roof is left behind on the trail or worst, snapped off. Them plastic screws are only so strong holding it down. At lest the branch can't get under the front lip anymore.

IMO its at must have in my area at this time of the year a lot has grown in and the Wolverine fills the trail width in many stretches. Branches hang too low, on an ATV you can get under them but not on this with a roof.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    The tubes are very thin and I don't like drilling into them if there is another way. There wouldn't be much bite for a screw either and likely come out soon.

This MOD removes the lip from being available for branches to get under. No holes whatsoever.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    I run a lot of tight trails now for 2 years and top hasn't caught any of the larger stuff that is capable of taking off a roof but surely doesn't mean it couldn't.

It appears the lip you created at bottom edge with the PVC is going to catch almost as much as the roof edge did. If the brush is serious enough to remove the roof certainly it will pop tie wraps off like they aren't even there. May try heating it and forming to the tube exactly then tapering that lower leading edge in better.

Just thinking the first 1" branch you find is going to slide up the tube hit the PVC protrusion and pop the tywraps pretty quickly or not but my guess is they are staying there for very long.

Curious about the mirrors sticking out on the tight trails with all the serious roof removing brush. They don't fold just the adjustment ball ? Are they glass mirrors ? Just thinking those will shatter if they were glass on the first tree they hit or put the entire mirror in your face when it removes it.

You think that lip is bad check out how the YXZ roof edge is. There is a 6" section out front that isn't fastened down that can catch stuff .

Last edited by danielplace1962; 07-14-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    The photo likely not showing correctly the tube is very close to the tube, slight space yes as its not that custom or a slight larger diameter tube to curve better around. Any branch will glace and go over fo sure but I will test it. The roof lip is covered over now with this as its notched to go up and over. Hence the roof edge is out of the equation completely now.

I anyone is mounting light bars on the roof as many have in this type of terrain. They're not going to work for long and likely to get ripped off.

PS: I can file/grind the lead edge a bit if I feel its clipping too much (red neck fix!!) But feeling it there is very little there unlike the roof edge now covered was huge.

Mirror is not affected as its back of the tube, its been well beaten and were like $20 for two approx

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Tripplec; 07-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace1962 View Post

Curious about the mirrors sticking out on the tight trails with all the serious roof removing brush. They don't fold just the adjustment ball ? Are they glass mirrors ? Just thinking those will shatter if the were glass on the first tree they hit or put the entire mirror in your face when it removes it.

You think that lip is bad check out how the YXZ roof edge is. There is a 6" section out front that isn't fastened down that can catch stuff .

If that was here I'd prune a bushel of brush if it survived. I'd fab something to deflect since securing it down doesn't remove the lead edge hitting and clipping everything. Thats why I did it this way to remove the impacting edge and the lower edge of my cut tube is a lot lower and steep angle. While the roof edge is like, HIT ME I DARE YOU TO TRY AND RIP ME OFF, I've cleaned out a lot stuck under and figured something better change. LOL
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    I anyone is mounting light bars on the roof as many have in this type of terrain. They're not going to work for long and likely to get ripped off.
    Yes no doubt. I laugh when I see those roof top installations. That certainly would limit your riding to about no where around here for sure. They must have some clear trails to ride.

That would get ripped off first half mile. Lol.

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Some pics

Access to my trail from my property here in Prince Edward County.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    A few shots of tighter areas on the trail. I am whacking branch on the side and roof clipping the overhanging ones as do other SxS going down here. There were a few out today when I took these pics.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links