Cut rectangular Switch Hole. Anyone?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Cut rectangular Switch Hole. Anyone? within the Wolverine How To forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; A lot of rocker switches, USB charger port w/caps are rectangular and I never been good at free hand cutting plastic with anything close to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cut rectangular Switch Hole. Anyone?

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times

A lot of rocker switches, USB charger port w/caps are rectangular and I never been good at free hand cutting plastic with anything close to a clean perfect opening. I typically used round switches which require a drill. There as some round solution but when you get to the round lighter socket and USB port charger opening they very large. Running a bit that big on thin plastic without out of control damage is not easy and a hole punch is needed. Two person job assessing the rear.

I do like the gang switch setups but I do want another lighter socket (live always), add USB charge ports (nice to have and another DVM). I have not see an configuration which will fit and have search Amazon and ebay easily a dozen times and more. Nothing is offered thats not more than 3.5" high (top to bottom). Only switch setups as all switch or not switch for additional lighting etc.

Has anyone figure out how to cut a loverly rectangle for the many gang switches available?
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1334 times
    I've used small triangular files in the past for squares and rectangles after first drilling with a round bit. I have seen bits for drilling square holes but they were designed for wood, they had chiseled corners to make it square. I guess everyone uses Dremel type tools now.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Trace the back of your switch onto a piece of cardboard,cut it out and then keep whittling on cardboard until it slips tightly over switch. Then place cardboard where you want the switch and trace with permanent marker. Drill a small hole in each corner and heat the blade of a utility knife and go from hole to hole, be careful it will cut pretty easy. Then take a file if needed to “hole” until switch goes in.
    Tripplec, MORSNO, atkbike and 2 others like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec SE. Yamaha rear grab bar, Hunterworks PC V fuel controller,KFI winch mount,Motoalliance 2500# Midnight winch,Yamaha wind deflector and more to come😊.
    SSV Works stereo, Tribal Whips 4’ Orange whip.SuperAtv flip up windshield,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    i do it like Pappy except I use a piece of 1/8" aluminum. I have one pattern for just the 4 corner holes (drill template) & another for the complete switch hole to trace. I made template holes square to out side of piece so can use as reference so have them fairly square to dash / whatever.
    blast likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I like that idea!
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec SE. Yamaha rear grab bar, Hunterworks PC V fuel controller,KFI winch mount,Motoalliance 2500# Midnight winch,Yamaha wind deflector and more to come😊.
    SSV Works stereo, Tribal Whips 4’ Orange whip.SuperAtv flip up windshield,

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    To date I haven't found more that a few gang switch solution which will fit that also have another lighter socket and/or USB port chargers. Some have DVM but that is not a must have in this situation.
    Both Amazon.ca and ebay have been searched. Some sites with suppose to have solutions aren't complete and/or prices gone through roof without getting to a final product.
    The bevel of the front plastic is the big issue for other that would fit otherwise.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    I've used small triangular files in the past for squares and rectangles after first drilling with a round bit. I have seen bits for drilling square holes but they were designed for wood, they had chiseled corners to make it square. I guess everyone uses Dremel type tools now.
    triangular file worked the best for me . first one I did took about 1.5 hrs . hold level , hold plum , cut with small dremel wheel / more work than really needed. now I hold switch plate to dash . mark with pencile , drill with 1/4 inch bit inside markings leaving plenty of material for trianguler file , then start filing and fit switch. all the while checking for fit and leval and plum. takes about ten min. now .

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    I have done plenty that are round switch over many decades. Yeah, a round file and/or retangular one helps the extra room needed. Its just such a big cutout and if putting a few rectangular switch etc without a mounting plate the space inbetween would be very narrow.

I feel like I have to get two different setups Especially that I need at least on 12V aux socket added. Maybe I'll do it separately as a big round hole if I find one. Its going to be a spring job when its warm and plastic is easier to work on. This appears to be quite brittle and thin even in the wheel wells!
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    to install my USB port i first laid out some masking tape on the area i wanted to install. measured with calipers for width and height on switch for size to make hole.
    Name:  1cutout.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  64.3 KB
    I wanted switch to be a little lower so i lowered 1/4 inch.
    Name:  2cutout.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  47.0 KB
    drilled holes in four corners with small diameter drill bit then cut out hole using my wood burning/soldering iron with a tip that looks like an exacto knife on high heat.
    Name:  3cutout.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  44.3 KB
    switch was a little to tight so i used one of my wood carving knives to shave side of hole and square up corners ( very sharp ).
    Name:  4cutout.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  64.3 KB
    wired up and put switch in.
    Name:  5cutout.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  68.7 KB
    Skwirl, blast and atkbike like this.
    2019 X2
    oem full windshield
    soft rear window
    KFI stealth 3500 winch