Trail preferences - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Trail preferences

This is a discussion on Trail preferences within the Around the Campfire forums, part of the General Discussions category; Technical crawling is fun, but a mix is nice. Sometimes you just want some trails you can really haul the mail on!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Trail preferences

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    Technical crawling is fun, but a mix is nice. Sometimes you just want some trails you can really haul the mail on!
    kukini, wolvymanx4 and Paul65 like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    OEM Folding Windshield
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    Super ATV 1" wheel spacers in rear
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    I enjoy it all except deep mud. I like the easy trails if the view is good or the destination is something cool to see. I like the technical, butt pucker stuff from time to time. I mainly enjoy running hard on moderate trails. That is why I love coming to the Black hills. The trails range from gravel roads with a great view to small boulder fields that test the limits of the machine. You can ride for days and not hit the same trails. The trails themselves can contain all of the listed things in a few miles stretch and sometimes you never know what you are going to get into. I did manage to fine a mud/ water hole today that was waist deep. Totally unexpected as most are knee deep at best.
    MORSNO, Scurvy, kukini and 2 others like this.

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I like trails that I've never been on, none have names - USFS and/or BLM public land; around every corner is a new adventure... and trails that I have to myself. Partial to Montana and Nevada so far. And a nice fishing hole along the way is always a bonus.
    Last edited by Wooly; 10-23-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    kukini, Paul65 and Scurvy like this.
    New to SxS. '19 Wolverine X4. 2007 Grizzly 450, 2009 Grizzly 550SE EPS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Moon Shiner
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    i love rocky, technical trails with lots of water crossings and elevation changes - not a huge fan of mud holes or endless smooth railbed, i tend to want to just speed through that.
    kukini, Rhinohio and Paul65 like this.
    Wolverine X4 SE | 28x10-12 studded Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 (winter) | 27x9-12/27x12-12 Maxxis Bighorn on OEM wheels (summer) | OEM heater | OEM rear storage box | OEM A-Arm guards | OEM hardcoat windshield | OEM hard roof | Boss audio head unit and speakers | 20” black oak light bar | Front and rear winch | Weller Racing Tune | JBS Machined Sheave with 20g OD Weight’s | assault mirrors | SxS enclosures soft cab | SuperATV Rear Windshield | Walker Evans Shocks

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Any trail is a good trail if I'm on it,but if I had to choose a favorite I'm going with "technical crawling"
    Here in SWPA you get a really good variety and depending on where you're at you tend to crisscross into WV and Western MD a good bit.
    kukini and Paul65 like this.
    " You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”-Wooderson

2019 X2 Special Edition
    27" Tusk Terrabites
    OEM Polycarb Windshield
    OEM Soft Rear Window
    KFI 3500 Stealth Winch
    OEM Rear Cargo Box
    7" LED Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I'll probably sound like a repeat of the above... tight technical in the trees on soft trails or rock, the Wolvy really shines with its power delivery and steering. It also, at 59" wide, can make several trail turns where my fellow riders have to back up. In elevation changes it really shines with the engine braking in 4-wheel drive. Several people have commented they never see my brake lights on really steep downhill grades where they ride theirs all the way down.

I like creek crossings and just going down the middle of creeks for extended periods of time. I don't mind mud, but not deep mud. Mud in the trails because it filled up with water and you go through 6-10" of mud, no problem. Part of it. My local trails have been 4-wheeler or quad trails for 30 years and are just now being converted (or ridden by old guys that switched) to side by sides. As you can imagine they are mostly too tight for side by sides and haven't been cut out yet, so = extreme technical. Hard to fit through the trees with a side by side ROPS cage that is vertical, the RzR's don't have this problem. The grades are steep, lots of elevation changes, creek crossings, and a few bounty holes for the quads with 30" tires. My Wolverine is a challenge to ride on these trails, which makes it interesting. There are other side by sides now, so I mostly follow my buddy on his Teryx. If he can fit, I can fit!!!

Edit: added pics, because without pics... it didn't happen.

Name:  2019-12-28_321 ride_01_cropped.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  918.3 KB

Name:  2019-12-28_321 ride_02_cropped.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  1.92 MB
    Last edited by Paul65; 01-05-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    Boorabee Parker likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec bought new 8/9/2019
    Yamaha windshield & full soft cab, rock sliders, rear fender flares, rear bumper
    Yamaha Warn Winch on EMP front bumper (looks great - not made for winching!)
    Richochet A-Arm guards
    Front & Rear LED pod lights
    Backup Camera
    Seizmik Windshield Vents
    Seizmik mirrors
    Removed all the warning stickers & badges
    Signs from doityourselflettering.com

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    I guess that I'm with the "mixed" trail group. I like a variety, from easy cruising to low range, 4wd-required technical. I'd rather avoid mud holes and deep water. My favorite trails are those where speeds are terrain-limited to low 40s at the top end and crawling on the bottom. Great views are a must, too, but there's no shortage of that in the Sierra Nevada mtns.
    Paul65 and MORSNO like this.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Dragonfire "D" Steering Wheel, Assault Hub Adapter
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Energy Suspension greaseable rear Swaybar Bushings
    Super ATV 1.5" spacers, winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I am a rock hopper from way back. Dislike mud and water. Have driven this track in my full bodied truck. Yet to try it in the wolverine. That is my sons truck and mine is the gold one.

Name:  Toyo 1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  223.0 KB

Name:  Toyo 2.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  204.8 KB
    MORSNO, Scurvy and Budro2 like this.
    X2 R Spec (still on a truck somewhere)
    Stocker with a locker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links