Custom SXS trailer
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Custom SXS trailer

This is a discussion on Custom SXS trailer within the Around the Campfire forums, part of the General Discussions category; There have been a few threads on here lately about people trying to find a good solution's for hauling and camping. After looking for months, ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Custom SXS trailer

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    663 times

Custom SXS trailer

There have been a few threads on here lately about people trying to find a good solution's for hauling and camping. After looking for months, there was nothing out there that fit my needs. I will add that horse trailers with living quarters came the closest. My needs are simple. Well built, 5k capacity, 20 ft of garage, bathroom, not over 30ft long, efficient for off grid camping and capable of getting in the places our hobbies take us with out getting damaged. After working with a local dealer for a week or so I placed an order on 4/24/19. Unfortunately the engine in my buggy seized on 5/11, so I haven't giving this the attention I planned on while waiting for it arrive. Build was supposed to start the 22nd and take 5 days. They didn't start until 6/2 and it's still under construction.

I ended up ordering a United XLTV slant nose. It was ordered 2ft longer than the standard max length, 28' of square box with a 3' vee nose, 8.5' wide and 1' off extra height bringing it to a total inside height of 7'6". I had the 5200lbs drop axle swapped to 6k straight axles giving it 4 inches of lift and 18" of ground clearance. They wouldn't go to 7k axles or move them back any farther even though they are building this on the same 8" I beam double frame they use up to 21k capacity. I have them rating it at 9990 capacity to avoid any potential CDL issues. It will have about 8k of actual payload and 5k on paper so 1 4cyl based crawler or 2 SXS should not be an issue for it. It should be less than 5k empty.

I'm going to build out the inside myself. Bathroom front right, bunks on the left and a wall 22' from the tail. Kitchen will be on the cargo side of the wall with no lower cabinets to get the most cargo room. This will allow use of beds and bath while loaded en route to riding and allow use of a small enough main AC unit to run off a Honda 1000w gen that will go all night a less then a gallon of fuel. Heat will be a diesel fired heater that will run 1-2 days on a gallon of fuel.

Last edited by Jraoffroad; 06-17-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    MORSNO, Tracen8r, atkbike and 5 others like this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    663 times
    A good place to see what can be done with these trailers. Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers ? Index page

A great toyhauler build on there. Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers ? View topic - 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

This will be my third cargo camper style build, So I about got it figured out. 1st was just a few things that could be used to camp, 2nd was full beds, ac, tv and kitchen but no plumbing. There have been a few campers in there and 10 years living out of truck as OTR driver, I've came to understand what I want/need and the things that are just a waste.
    MORSNO, Tracen8r and atkbike like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Nice!! I've considered one of these for food prep/easy storage. https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...able/p/1286535
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Warn 3500 Provantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Hard Coated Windscreen
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Warn #3500 Pro Vantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Folding Windshield
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Are you going to do a thread of your toy hauler build? I plan to build mine in the next 2 years and would love to follow your build.
    atkbike and MORSNO like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    663 times
    I'll keep this thread going with the build. Just waiting for it to show up. I have a garage full of parts now with no where to put them. I still have a few things to order but didn't want more stuff laying around.
    atkbike and MORSNO like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    663 times
    The trailer came in Friday the 14. About 3 weeks behind schedule. They had to special order the skin sheeting and ordered too little. When they ordered the other sheets the paint didn't match so they had to make a third order and reskin the complete trailer. The dealer is throwing in a spare tire for my trouble, that will save me about $150. Now I just need to get a day off to go pick it up. I did stop by and take a look at it and couldn't find any major problems. That seems to be rare with a lot of the new trailers I looked at so I'm pretty happy about it. I found one ding on the nose and 1 small wrinkle at the bottom corner and one panel they let the bonding tape overhang about an 1/8 inch in the middle of the panel. I had to look pretty hard to find those. To me thats pretty good for a trailer with 500 sq ft of sheeting and less problems than any other new trailer I've bought. The specs and dimensions match what I ordered and it even appears square. It's a shame but that is a win when ordering trailers. I got a few bad pics of it for now.

This pic has the ding in it. Right side of nose on the seem.

The man door has the cam lock and RV handle. No one (dealer or MFG) knew for sure if the RV door deleted the cam lock. I wanted it and made them aware of this so not sure if it's standard or not. My friends Look brand didn't have it and more than once it came open. It's a 32" door.

The white wheels have to go. All the other options were alloys and I didn't want them on a trailer and will probably go to 16's at some point anyway. I will paint them silver or gun metal.

The color changes a lot depending on light and angle.

Inside from man door back. White vinyl on walls, 3/4 plywood floor, steel wheel wells.
    MORSNO, Jimbo, atkbike and 1 others like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Looks real good. Amazed at how out of square some new trailers are... Friend of mine went to a trailer factory in Georgia , he swears it was dirt floors in an old warehouse.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    663 times
    It's really scary what passes as new, road worthy trailer. I've been to trailer MFG's in the south west that run out of a few carports set up on a dirt lot.

I looked at a few south GA trailers and even at 50% savings it's not worth it over a quality trailer. By the you add the options to bring make it the same as good trailer comes standard, you really don't save that much and still get junk.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 06-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    MORSNO, Budro2 and atkbike like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraoffroad View Post
    It's really scary what passes as new, road worthy trailer. I've been to trailer MFG's in the south west that run out of a few carports set up on a dirt lot.

I looked at a few south GA trailers and even at 50% savings it's not worth it over a quality trailer. By the you add the options to bring make it the same as good trailer comes standard, you really don't save that much and still get junk.
    I hear you on trailer quality, there is tons of junk being sold out there. I have an Aluma 16' + V nose Snowmobile trailer that has a double welded tube going forward to the hitch one of which has an I beam inserted and welded inside for added strength. This 12 year old trailer has been all over Alaska's backroads and not a single aluminum stress crack anywhere. I can show you brand new budget trailers that have cracks before any real use. It also has double axles with brakes on all 4 wheels, and this is on a "light duty" snowmobile trailer. You pay more up front, but you only pay once!
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Aluma makes good stuff. I have the tilt flatbed.
    The mountains are calling and I must go. 2016 RSpec Spec Ed
    Gorilla winch, Seizmic mirrors, EMP rear shield, Rugged Radio with intercom, 20" light bar, horn plays Dixie, 2"Perfex lift, Kenda Bearclaws ,Trail Tech temp gauge, Yama rear box and bumper, Throttle Max, tow rope to pull Polaris and Canams. TGM doors and door bags, Power Commander V. TCP "Mudder"radiator,Hunterworks high output fan, Superatv split windshield, extra wide homemade flex fenders.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links