Custom SXS trailer - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Custom SXS trailer

This is a discussion on Custom SXS trailer within the Around the Campfire forums, part of the General Discussions category; are you going with a rooftop AC, window unit or small home type?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Custom SXS trailer

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    441 times
    are you going with a rooftop AC, window unit or small home type?
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    560 times
    5K Window unit under the bottom bunk vented through the floor for main sleeping area. Should do great for the small area. Possibility another in the rear if needed. Trying for no holes through the walls or roof. Floor is easy to change if something don't work out. Didn't want the height or power consumption of a roof top.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    560 times
    I picked it up Sat, 6/21. Dealer cut me a deal I couldn't pass for a wheel upgrade to make up the stone dings on the nose. $200 off their normal upgrade price, plus free lug nuts and center caps. That made it $400 plus my factory tires for a set they wanted $1400 plus lug nuts and caps. I'm not sure how I feel about alloys on a trailer, but these things seemed pretty well made, even have steel inserts for the lugs to tighten on. And the look way better on it.

I didn't bother leveling it out on the truck as I'm less then a mile from the dealer.

I got the floor stained with PPG solid stain in the cargo area.

Went to close up for the night and found two issues, the locks I bought didn't fit and something is up with the side door.

Seems like a lot of hinges to me. Looking online it seems 2 is standard, 3 the HD option.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 06-23-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    MORSNO and atkbike like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1468 times
    Nice trailer! Maybe they missed the framing structure with the hinges and just added two more where the structure was located?
    atkbike likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    That had to be it. There is no way they would put that many on a single entry door.
    2016 Rspec EPS, full Yamaha folding windshield, Prefix 2 in lift,TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors , 20 in roof mount light bar, 2 pillar mount cube lights

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    I like the wheels.
    atkbike likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Damn nice trailer
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    560 times
    Thanks for the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    Nice trailer! Maybe they missed the framing structure with the hinges and just added two more where the structure was located?
    Close.

New hasp were cheaper then new locks so I decided to make the locks work. If I failed it would only be $20 to replace all 3 with the correct ones.About 2 hours of bending, drilling and grinding on Sunday and all 3 locks now fit.

Now on to the door. It opened and closed very stiff. I noticed this at the dealer and they said it was pretty common and would loosing up pretty quick. I think he was correct, it's improving real fast after I fixed the other issues. When I went to close up the night before the temps had dropped into the 50's. The skin on these expands and contracts a lot with temp changes. Now the door was so stiff it was flexing the wall to the point a creasing it and the top and bottom corners were being pulled about 1/4 inch from the door seal. I decided to figure out the problem before taking it to the dealer.

After much experimenting and examination I figured out 5 issues. The top and bottom hinge overlapped the door frame, causing them to twist when opening. The hinges were not all exactly the same, they are the same hinge but must have built on different machines. The height to the door was a little taller off the body then these hinges are designed for. This probably would be ok after the weather stripping packed down. There was a little misalignment between them. And lastly there were 5 of them. Remove any 2 and it was a huge improvement.

So after all this and coming with options to fix the problem and knowing what a dealer could do/would be allowed to do, I decided to fix this myself. Cost me about $25 to make sure it was fixed in way I am happy with, sometimes that is better then warranty. I decided 2 hinges needed to go, the remaining 3 needed to match a closely as possible and be in line with each other. I found 3 of the hinges matched perfect and the remaining 2 matched each other. Almost as if hinges are sold in matching sets of 2 or 3. The 3 middle hinges lined up pretty well, kinda like they were meant to be there. So it was easy to decide witch ones were leaving. This solved 4 of the 5 problems. Now on to the height issue and solving the new problem of hiding the eight holes from the removed hinges. A 1/8x2x78 piece of aluminium bar stock under the hinges took care of 4 holes and the height issue. This is when I found the reason for the two extra hinges. They had stripped the body bolts on the top hinge. So they added one above it to take the load and one below the bottom to make it match. A couple of nut certs would have been a quick easy fix that would have worked, but thats too easy. I'm just putting lock nuts inside the wall as I have to take it down anyway and it will be much more secure. 4 bolts fixed the holes in the door.

I may put some diamond plate on the bottom of the door to hide imprint of the hinge.
    atkbike likes this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadSled01 View Post
    I like the wheels.
    So much better then the white steel. Well worth $400.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraoffroad View Post
    5K Window unit under the bottom bunk vented through the floor for main sleeping area. Should do great for the small area. Possibility another in the rear if needed. Trying for no holes through the walls or roof. Floor is easy to change if something don't work out. Didn't want the height or power consumption of a roof top.
    Believe it or not lol, I made a split system out of a window unit on a popup camper several years back. I put the compressor and outdoor coil in a toolbox on the tongue. Drilled some holes and used a louver and small fan to vent the condenser coil. easier than you think, pinched the lines and had an AC buddy extend lines and charge with refrigerant. made it quieter inside too!
    MORSNO and MNDirtRider like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links