Alpine Loop Colorado
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Alpine Loop Colorado

This is a discussion on Alpine Loop Colorado within the Around the Campfire forums, part of the General Discussions category; So me and a few friends are planning a trip next summer to do the Alpine Loop, but I'm having a difficult time finding somewhere ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Alpine Loop Colorado

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times

Alpine Loop Colorado

So me and a few friends are planning a trip next summer to do the Alpine Loop, but I'm having a difficult time finding somewhere to stay for a week. Anyone have any good history with the area? Trying to stay in either Silverton, Ouray, or Lake City.

So far I've found a few good houses to rent but I wanted to be sure we were close enough that we could drive our SXS's to the trails and not have to trailer them around once we get there. We'll most likely have 2-3 SXS's and a Jeep.

Any help y'all have would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    I checked out Ouray and Silverton this year. Ouray had lots of cool brewerys and restaurants, seemed like a nice place. Silverton was dingy and it felt like the snow had just melted off even though it was early September. No idea on the riding from either area, I was passing just through in a car.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS Realtree
    Warn 3000 winch
    20" Kawell light bar - Roof mount
    7" Kawell rear light
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    HW sheave, slug kit, and PCV
    Super ATV 2" lift kit
    Under seat storage box
    27"x9"x14" Sedona Rip Saw tires front
    27"x11"x14" Sedona Rip Saw tires rear
    14" Sedona Raceline Scorpion wheels
    Trucker mud flap mod

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    616 times
    TexaxCoyote, Alpine Loop has some beautiful scenary. We rode out of both Lake City and Silverton this past summer in August, 3rd time for Lake City. In Lake City we have stayed in the cabins at the Texan Resort A TEXAN RESORT-Lake City- southwest Colorado Mountains with Cabins,Lodge,Vacation Homes and Lots of Fun Things to Do great place to stay. You can ride your ATV/SxS anywhere in the town of Lake City, regardless if they are licensed or not, town and county are very OHV friendly. You can ride to restaurants or to the North or South ends of the Alpine Loop (to make the entire loop) from wherever you stay in Lake City. Just obey the speed limits. Southern Vittles is a restaurant we always make plans to eat at, at least once.

In Silverton we stayed at the Red Mountain Motels, Cabins, RV Park https://www.redmtmotelrvpk.com/, because some of our group were in motorhomes and the rest of us stayed in their cabins/motel rooms. Would also recommend it, nothing fancy but very adequate and clean. Right downtown Silverton there are a few hotels you can stay in, pricey but nice is the Grand Imperial Hotel. The town in small, probably 1/2 mile long by 1/4 mile wide, so wherever you stay doesn't really matter as far as going to the restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. In Silverton you can also ride your unliscensed ATV/SxS in town on the designated streets. They have OHV streets signs in town, you can pretty much ride to all the businesses/restaurants/bars, just not in the residential areas.

The riding is great from both Lake City and Silverton. The only thing with Silverton is, if I'm not mistaken there is only 1 gas station in town (on the South West end of town) you can get within about 2 blocks of it staying on the streets that you can legally ride on, but on that last 2 blocks it is illegal to ride an unlicensed OHV. Sort of a dumb law but to get to the gas station you have to get on a State Hwy 550. You might check with someone local in Silverton; a couple of places rent SxS there or the Chamber of Commerce to see if they have a trail where you can ride to the gas station legally. The Bent Elbow has a great breakfast and the Golden Block Brewery has really good wood fired pizzas.

My next trip to that area I want to stay in Lake City a few nights and then take enough clothes and ride to Silverton and spend 2 nights there and then ride back to Lake City. This is what I would actually recommend to add a new adventure to the trip. Just check on the latest information on the gas situation in Silverton.

If you need to stay in just 1 town, then definitely make it Lake City, more to do and you have access to both the North end and South end of the Alpine Loop, or can make the entire loop in a day. Silverton would get old for a full week and Ouray is not OHV friendly as far as riding to the trails from town.

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them for you. Am pretty familiar with the area after 3 trips there.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 12-19-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    Speedracer4 likes this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    445 times
    If you stay in Ouray you will have to trailer to Alpine Loop, you will have access if you get a place on the designated OHV route in Silverton;
    https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/tow...n/ohv-atv-info
    A bunch of our party stayed in houses/cabins at Lake San Cristobal that they booked on VRBO. It is south of Lake City on the Alpine Loop so you will have access to the Loop and town.

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    So it sounds like I'm better off in Lake City. Next problem: have any of y'all had issue with leaving your SXS outside at night? None of the rental properties seem to have a garage.
    Last edited by TexasCoyote; 12-20-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    616 times
    Never had a problem out West, but did have my 10 ft. trailer with 2 4-wheelers on it stolen in 2014. Trailer was locked to vehicle and they stole trailer and all while it was parked in a motel's parking lot in Russellville, AR. That same night a 16 ft. trailer with a Rzr was stolen, too, at a different motel in Russellville. Had it insured with Progressive and they treated me very fairly. Since then I have added a cheap motorcycle burglar alarm to the Wolverine and a cheap motion detector and a trailer wheel lock to my trailer. All 3 items are a good, inexpensive deterrent. For what insurance can be bought for, usually between $250 - $350 for a year, it is good to have and your trailer can be added to the policy for very little extra.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    UPDATE: My RZR buddy and I will be in Colorado in August to ride the Alpine Loop. Anyone have any suggestions regarding gear to pack and whether we should get our OHV permits ahead of time or if we can buy them when we arrive? This will be our first out of state run so we're just trying to make sure we have fun and everything goes well. Any input from Colorado natives would be helpful.
    2016 Green R-Spec EPS
    3500lb Superwinch
    LED bar, cubes, whip
    UTV Inc. 4-point Harnesses
    Bluetooth Stereo
    Koplin Gun mounts

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    445 times
    I would get my OHV sticker once I got in Colorado, check this link to find locations;
    https://www.cpwshop.com/issuerlist.page

Shouldnt need a lot, sweatshirt in the mornings, rain gear, fuel and a map.
    With all the wildfires around, maybe a extinguisher and gas mask and a spark arrestor.
    Stay hydrated, altitude sickness is no fun.
    We are headed up there this week, we're hoping its not too smoky.
    Make sure you run up the short road to "American Basin".
    Oh yeah, a camera/phone so you can share some pics/videos here. and dont roll a machine on "The Wall"!

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Thanks Noload. Let me know how your trip goes and if there's anything else I may need.
    2016 Green R-Spec EPS
    3500lb Superwinch
    LED bar, cubes, whip
    UTV Inc. 4-point Harnesses
    Bluetooth Stereo
    Koplin Gun mounts

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Well our trip was a success. I would highly recommend the Alpine Loop to anyone that wants a fun trail ride. We stayed in Lake city at Lake San Cristobal. The wolverine covered 300 miles in 5 days back and forth across Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass. We even managed to go to see a few "ghost towns".
    Name:  IMG_1534.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  4.55 MB
    Name:  IMG_1714.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  4.84 MB
    Name:  IMG_E1521.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  4.39 MB
    2016 Green R-Spec EPS
    3500lb Superwinch
    LED bar, cubes, whip