Difference in secondary sheave and wet clutch based on year (2014 vs newer years)
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Difference in secondary sheave and wet clutch based on year (2014 vs newer years)

This is a discussion on Difference in secondary sheave and wet clutch based on year (2014 vs newer years) within the Viking General Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha UTVs category; Since the Viking forums are dead I'll post here (and assuming the Wolverine and Viking CVT systems are the same). Between 2014 and 2015 the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dano52

Thread: Difference in secondary sheave and wet clutch based on year (2014 vs newer years)

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times

Since the Viking forums are dead I'll post here (and assuming the Wolverine and Viking CVT systems are the same).

Between 2014 and 2015 the wet clutch pack part numbers changed. Anyone know what they changed?
    Between 2014 and 2015 they also changed the secondary shave part numbers. Again anyone know what they changed?

Just got my 2016 EPS Viking and I'm VERY impressed with the stock clutch setup (despite having to granny it for break in).

Possible that Yamaha addressed\upgraded the CVT components based on poor 2014 clutch performance?

Machined sheave performance increase on a Wolverine/Viking is only like 5 mph vs 12 on a Rhino machined sheave, reading through posts it seams that the stock sheave is pretty good, at least on the top end, but machining still helps low end just as good as it did before?

I've noticed 2017 clutch parts haven't changed (at least those two specific parts)

Thanks

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    Just saw Todd's thread and watched his marker video confirming top end machining is pretty good stock: https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum...l%20#post58049

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What are the break in requirements for a Viking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    0-10 hours: avoid continuous operation above 1/2 throttle. Allow 5-10 minutes cool off for every hour of riding. Vary the speed of the vehicle.
    10-20 hours: avoid prolonged operation above 3/4 throttle

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks.....I'll probably buy one in the next few weeks....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MassiveOverkill likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    556 times
    Thanks for choosing Wolverine forums and Welcome!

The wetclutch aside, the drawback to the Viking is the engine and clutch is basically identical to the later year Rhino, but struggles to push a lot more weight. So when adding a machined sheave, you want to tune for low end and not top. This will put less pressure on the belt and surrounding components. 32mm OD weights are not recommended, round rollers instead.

Lighter weights (14 to 16g) are a big plus since sustained engine rpm will be well into the powerband and maintain ample flow of air through the cvt covers to keep from over heating your sheaves and belts. I have seen belts and cvt weights vaporized in the Viking, in the snow no less. 2" diameter snorkels are a big no-no, if required 3-4" snorkel diameters are recommended.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    Hey Tinken,

This is CityBoyGoneCountry from RF. I've heard that the newer Vikings, they've changed the wet clutch shoe compound to accommodate the even heavier Viking IV and that both the 3 and 6 seaters enjoy the upgraded part, but I don't know how much truth there is to it. I'm sold on the stock-style greaseless weights and when it comes to do my first service, I'll swap the stock sheave for the greaseless setup.

I just bought a 3" bilge pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the CVT exhaust but I'm worried about the noise (new Viking is so much quieter than my Rhino) so I may either put an adjustable fan controller or try to figure some way to quiet it down if it's too loud.

I plan on keeping my Viking all stock as far as tires go.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    556 times
    Stock style? Like with the big hole in the middle?

They did a test on those ventilators for the Rzr's and found that they don't move as much air as the cvt fans, so I would run that thing full blast if you can, doubt you'll hear it. If you have to snorkel, go big as you can.

3-4" snorkels -

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    So I can confirm that the Viking's wet clutch indeed has been beefed up from the 2014 model. The article pertains to the Viking VI, but as you'll see below it looks like the standard Viking got the same clutch improvements:

http://global.yamaha-motor.com/jp/pr...wse/50ss09.pdf

Section 3.1 Google translated (read it like you're Yoda):

3-1. Engine overview

The engine of this model was sold for the first year last year
    Based on the water-cooled 4-stroke SOHC 4 valve single cylinder engine installed in VIKING, in order to withstand higher load, drive
    We made the following modifications mainly for the system.

· To review the lining material and lubrication path of the wet centrifugal clutch
    Realization of CVT with high reliability
    · Low speed due to expansion of CVT gear ratio (Low / Top ratio 4.1% UP)
    Compliant with adequate driving force and maximum speed securing from
    · Shifting by placement of lubrication sliding bearings on shift bearing
    Reduction in operating load (maximum △ 33.3%)
    · Connect engine and front differential gear case
    Increase the number of propeller shaft divisions, pro-prop up under the floor
    It is the same as VIKING by suppressing expansion of the Laşacht diameter
    Realization of the position Positioning machines and accessories (air cleaner and exhaust system) are also VIKING
    In order to ensure the comfort of the second row seating while keeping the same layout,
    The wheel base was extended by 800 mm according to the total length (Fig. 2).

Also confirmed here:

UTV Action Magazine | 2015 Yamaha Viking VI

"The CVT with sprag clutch is re-tuned for the extra 282 pounds of weight, and the middle gear is shotpeened for durability."

Looking at the wet clutches for the Viking, Vikving VI and Wolverine it looks like the Viking siblings share the same wet clutch (Item 10):

Yamaha 2PG-16620-00-00 - Clutch Carrier Assy : Flemington Yamaha

2016 Yamaha VIKING EPS (YXM70VPXGL) Clutch | Flemington Yamaha
    2016 Yamaha VIKING VI EPS (YXC70VPXGG) Clutch | Flemington Yamaha

While the Wolverine does not:

Yamaha 2MB-E6620-00-00 - Clutch Carrier Assy : Flemington Yamaha

2016 Yamaha WOLVERINE R-SPEC EPS (YXE70WPAGW) Clutch | Flemington Yamaha

2014 Viking has the older part number that's the same as the Rhino, once again indicating an upgrade:

Yamaha 3B4-16620-00-00 - Clutch Carrier Assy : Flemington Yamaha

2014 Yamaha VIKING 700 EPS (YXM700PEG) Clutch | Flemington Yamaha

Looking at the secondary sheave (part number 31), it looks like it's been upgraded for both Vikings for 2015 and for the Wolverine for 2016

Yamaha 2PG-17670-00-00 - Secondary Sliding Sheave : Flemington Yamaha

Since this is a Wolverine forum and to keep it somewhat relevant, I wonder if upgrading to the Viking wet clutch would give you added reliability on your Wolverine as well as upgrading the Wolverine secondary to 2016 and later parts.

Sponsored Links