Wolverine vs Rhino? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Wolverine vs Rhino?

This is a discussion on Wolverine vs Rhino? within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; If you love the Rhino and its running well, keep it! My good friend has a rhino 660 and keeps contemplating replacing it but cant ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Wolverine vs Rhino?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    If you love the Rhino and its running well, keep it! My good friend has a rhino 660 and keeps contemplating replacing it but cant bring him self to it because there is nothing wrong with it and it does what he wants. I really hope the wolverine is a solid as the rhino is.
    gip and TINKEN like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    549 times
    Wolverines are a turn-key performers. They need less mods, but are limited in their ability to be modded in some areas. Rhinos are work horses and still perform very well. In some areas can be modded to a greater extent.
    LJ3 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    I had a Rhino for ten years (until somebody stole it). I modded the hell out of it and loved it. A great vehicle.

Now I have a Wolverine, but have only rode it over one weekend. Boy is it nice. It is so technologically advanced over my old Rhino. Most of the mods I did on the Rhino came on the Wolvie. I love the ride, the EFI, the EPS, way less noise and heat in the cab, and way better performance. I HATE the mud EVERYWHERE! I wish the glove box didn't leak so much, I wish the box was bigger, and I kinda miss the dump function and a real tailgate too.

In summary my Rhino is almost my third child, but my Wolvie is like a new girlfriend! She's fun as hell and I really enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by Wolvie Hunter; 11-15-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    jas and MNDirtRider like this.
    Wolvie Hunter

Yamaha - 2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS Hunter Edition, Folding Front Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Bed Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn - Vantage 3000 Winch & Cover
    Sedona - Storm 14" Aluminum Wheels, Rip-Saw R/T Radial ATV Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14, w/ Spare
    Assault - Center Mount Mirror
    Seizmik - Side Mirrors
    EMP - Front & Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV - 2" Lift Kit
    Rigidhorse - 19" Tri-Row LED Light Bar
    Concours - Wolverine Switch Panel
    Battery Tender
    Grab Handles

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    Here's some pics of my Rhino (I had since painted the diamond plate alum roof black), it looks way better. This was before somebody stole it.

Name:  2009_11_05-2_Medium_[1].jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  141.8 KB
    Name:  2009_11_05-3_Medium_[1].jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  2009_11_05-4_Medium_[1].jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  133.6 KB
    Last edited by Wolvie Hunter; 11-16-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    MORSNO, TINKEN and Planetcat like this.
    Wolvie Hunter

Yamaha - 2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS Hunter Edition, Folding Front Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Bed Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Sedona - Storm 14" Aluminum Wheels, Rip-Saw R/T Radial ATV Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14, w/ Spare
    Seizmik - Side Mirrors
    Super ATV - 2" Lift Kit
    Battery Tender
    Grab Handles

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    549 times
    Sorry you lost your Rhino. I'd be beside myself if someone took mine. Yamaha sold 250,000 Rhinos from 2004-2007, a proven work horse.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinken View Post
    Sorry you lost your Rhino. I'd be beside myself if someone took mine. Yamaha sold 250,000 Rhinos from 2004-2007, a proven work horse.
    Tinken,

Thanks! It actually took a few days for me to get mad...I just couldn't believe that it happened. But afterwards I was pissed as hell. I waited about two months to file my insurance claim, got some money from the insurance company, bought me a new Wolverine, and then about a month later the sheriff recovered my old Rhino. I hope they throw those lazy thieving SOB's in jail and toss the key.
    Speedracer4, MORSNO and LJ3 like this.
    Wolvie Hunter

Seizmik - Side Mirrors
    Super ATV - 2" Lift Kit
    Battery Tender
    Grab Handles

Member #
    Member #
    Wolverine advantages: no rev limiter, smoother ride, better more comfortable bucket seats, better acceleration, quieter...all round better machine. Yamaha knocked it out of the park on this one.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    It fits...barely on trucks with 64 inch opening..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    atkbike and Planetcat like this.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I had the Rhino 2008 700 FI, and traded it in for the Wolverine. I love everything about it. Like someone on here. It has a little bit everything the other machines offer. Plus I like the Yamaha reliability
    MORSNO likes this.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    From a thread I started asking the same question about a year ago. We rented a wolvie to run side by side with our tricked out Rhino for several days in the black hills:

My comments are based on Rhino vs Wolverine, not to compare against any other SxS product as I have no experience with those items.

The rental unit was a 2015 with 5000 miles of heavy rental use....still it impressed vs our 2008 rhino 450 with 1700 easy miles, extended wheel flares, piggyback shocks, after market EPS.

Bullets:

1. Shifter is much more fluid and easy to use...which means you use low when you should because it is easy to do so.
    2. Door latches, so much easier to use and intuitive. 5000 miles and they still worked like new on the first try every time.
    3. Door hinges...spring loaded metal rather than rubber straps that constantly break.
    4. Power is plenty for trail riding, steep climbs and getting up to speed quickly on the highway going from trail to trail.
    5. Seats far more comfortable and ergonomic.
    6. Longer wheelbase "beats you up" less...better ride over the long haul.
    7. More room and places to put your feet, especially as a passenger.
    8. Suspension more plush, works very well on high speed and low speed bumps.
    9. Storage is excellent...cab is much easier to "live in" for all day rides.
    10. Seat belts lock and release easier.
    11. Glove box is even bigger.
    12. Far easier to see over the hood and avoid obstacles.
    13. Parking brake level is SO much better and easier to use.
    14. More tie downs in back...very helpful.
    15. Center console storage and arm rest...excellent change.
    16. Not as loud.
    17. Smooth easy acceleration...you are at 30 mph without realizing it.
    18. Torque forever in low gear.
    19. MUCH better selector of 4x4 means you use it more often.
    20. New grab handle rocks.
    21. At the end of the first day I did not realize I did not have power steering until the owner told me.
    (That said, at the end of day 2 I determined I would never buy one without EPS...lots of hard technical trails give you a work out.)
    22. So much more shoulder and hip room.

It is like they sat down and went through every criticism of the Rhino they had ever heard and fixed it. I can't believe how well put together this abused and used machine was...and this was the FIRST YEAR of production for the model I was driving! WOW. There is simply nothing in the UTV/ATV world built like a Yamaha.

If I was in the market for a recreational SxS I would drop 10k on this in a heartbeat. For work the Rhino has the larger bed and dump box...so we are going to keep it for working around the acreage which is 90% of its use. However, I have decided I will never haul it back out here for trail riding again...just going to rent the wolverine. The experience is that much better and the cost of the gas to pull it out and back is over 50% of the rental cost. It is a no brainier.
    MORSNO, JOCKEYBOX and LJ3 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links