Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition? within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I’m not up on the competition in regard to SxS,s but I always had great luck with my Rhino and the kids dirt bikes. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times

I’m not up on the competition in regard to SxS,s but I always had great luck with my Rhino and the kids dirt bikes. I had lots of problems with my last two Polaris four wheelers So Why did you choose the Wolverine??? Over Polaris, Honda Can Am etc.. what are the major differences. It looks like Polaris has the market share.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I needed a 4 seater that is roughly the size of the X4. That narrowed it down to the X4, Teryx4 and pioneer 1000-5. I felt the X4 was the best overall, not the fastest, the most HP, most suspension travel, or the biggest. But it checked all the boxes, and was in my eyes, the best do it all for a family truckster in this size class. Yamaha is obviously known for its quality also so that is a huge plus. Had many over the years and they have been good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Ken Scurry likes this.

Turbo
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    There's a ton of info out in the ether as to why Popo has the market share instead of Yamaha. What it boils down to is Yamaha got sued big time due to injuries associated with rollovers in the Rhino when they first came out. Polaris saw what went wrong with Yamaha's introduction and learned from Yamaha's pain. The Rhino started the SXS wave then fell off the board in the tube of the gnarly wave. Polaris rode the next wave all the way to the bank. Yamaha paddled back out and is trying to snatch another big one with their 5 year model release marketing ploy. Lots more to it in detail, this is just what stuck in my brain.
    Ken Scurry and relhok like this.
    2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    2" Perfex Lift
    Warn #3500 Pro Vantage Winch
    Yamaha Folding Windshield
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

2013 Blue Grizzly 700 EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    Warn #2500 Winch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1346 times
    1. Dependability
    2. SXS That fit my needs
    3. Relationship with my dealer (Sales, service, and parts) support with previous 3 ATV's
    4. Owned plenty of Polaris snowmobiles, didn't want to deal with the constant maintenance and repairs anymore.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    1. Dependability
    2. SXS That fit my needs
    3. Relationship with my dealer (Sales, service, and parts) support with previous 3 ATV's
    4. Owned plenty of Polaris snowmobiles, didn't want to deal with the constant maintenance and repairs anymore.
    Morsno. My dealer was a deciding factor as well. When I first starting buying my kids early bikes and 4 wheelers my dealer recognizes my loyalty and records and understands I have purchased 9 products over the years 4 which were Polaris and they were maintainence nightmares.. he finally discontinued Polaris dealership.
    MORSNO likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    Someone started a thread on the Grizzly forum a while back. I pasted my post from that thread. This reasoning is why I bought my R-Spec. I really like the machine but sometimes I think a Viking would have been a better choice for my family simply due to the extra seat and larger bed.

"My main reason for Yamaha is I trust the brand. I grew up riding Yamaha machines and all of those machines were extremely reliable. Some of them were well taken care of and others were totally neglected and still lasted for 20+ years. My parents still have a Moto4 from 1987 but it isn't safe to ride anymore (no brakes). That machine made it through 15 years of hard farm work before we lost our farm, and 4 kids worth of abuse with little to no maintenance. I frankly can't believe it still runs... Anyone need a parts machine?

I live in Polaris and Arctic Cat country and I researched them all before I jumped back into the ATV world. Some of my neighbors actually work for Polaris and it bugs them when they drive by and see my Yamahas on the trailer. I bought my first Grizzly (used 2002 660 with under 1000 miles) a little over six years ago. I had been out of the game for 18 years or more and I had all the confidence in the world in that machine. That machine ended up being a mistake simply because it had lived a short and very hard life. I didn't know it at the time but the previous owner had run it out of oil after swamping it. That being said, it never stranded me or anything but it had residual issues that surfaced after I bought it. Since I bought that old 660 six years ago (traded for my 2012 Grizzly 700), the rest of my family has gotten back into riding. We (my extended family) now have two Grizzly 80's, one Bear Tracker 250, one Kodiak 400, three Grizzly 660's, one 550, one 700, one Viking, a Wolverine R-Spec, and one lonely Arctic Cat HDX (my Dad's - he's an old Arctic Cat guy from the early 70's). The nice thing about these machines is that they are all very user serviceable and reliable for a long time. There is no need to run to the dealer for the "check engine" light and with a little basic maintenance, they all have performed as I would expect. I need to take a moment and thank my Grizzly Central brethren for all the help they have given me for all the experience and expert advice in keeping these Yamahas on the trail.

Some would call me a "fan boy" but the little bit of work that has needed to be done on all of these machines over the years speaks for itself from my experience. A few axles, seals, wheel bearings, brakes, knuckle bushings, carb cleanings, and basic oil changes are really all any of us have had to do. A couple of them burn a little oil but they have earned the right to drink a little. That, in my opinion, is what makes me trust my Yamaha machines. Your opinion and experience may vary."
    2016 R-Spec EPS
    Superwinch Terra 4500 Synthetic
    KFI Winch Plate
    STI HD3 wheels with 27" CST Clinchers
    Super ATV Flip Windshield
    YXZ Steering Wheel
    Yamaha Rear Window
    Yamaha Accessory Mount Bar
    Sirius Pro 20" light bar
    Auxbeam a-pillar & rear work lights
    Blue Sea Fuse Block
    Rad guards
    Perfex Lift

2012 Grizzly 700 EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    That’s a great tribute to the brand Mndirtrider and I agree as well. I grew up riding Kawasaki and there were no other substitute. When my kids got old enough to ride I wanted to get them Kaws but there were no dealers close by so I met with my local Yam dealer and opted for Yamaha and it has served my family well. So from what you guys are saying for the most part is that you bought most likely for the brands dependability and I’m sure there are other reasons but mainly reliability. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    1. Prior experience with Yamaha dependability with atv and dirt bikes.
    2. Wolverine was spec’d exactly as I would want for a recreational hunting sxs.
    3. You really get a lot in the X1 for the price.

I have never regretted the decision to buy my gen 1 Wolverine. I love every minute I drive that buggy. As much as I like the X2, I cant justify the substantial cost difference.
    2017 Yamaha Wolverine EPS w/26" Sedona RipSaws

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Reliability, Build quality.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I had a bunch of polaris stuff in the last 20 years. I have watched them slowly decline in build quality while increasing prices due to popularity. My first SXS was an arctic cat sport. It has been pretty good but we now have a need for a 4 seater. I was really hoping for an Arctic Cat sport sized 4 seater but I got tired of waiting. I looked and the hondas, didn't like the DCT and the 700 would have been underpowered. Also the rear seats were very uncomfortable. I looked at the Teryx and really thought that would be the machine for me. I demoed one and was completely underwhelmed. Then the X4 came out. I looked at them, watched reviews, got excited about it. I then talked myself out of it and bought my wife an Arctic Cat trail as this was the cheaper option. 2 days later I demoed an X4 and instantly regretted that decision. The X4 was awesome. It was quiet, it was pretty peppy and nimble. Luckily she decided that she doesn't like riding her own. I finally found a good deal on a left over X4 and sold the trail for about event money. I am hoping that the X4 lives up to the yamaha rep for reliabliltiy. I wil be keeping the AC sport for when my son and I go riding but the X4 will be our primary ride I believe.
    wolvymanx4 and atkbike like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links