Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition?

This is a discussion on Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition? within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I just bought an X4, a couple of reasons. It kinda came down to the Pioneer or the Yamaha. I like Kawasaki's, but the Teryx ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Why Did You Buy Yamaha Over The Competition?

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I just bought an X4, a couple of reasons. It kinda came down to the Pioneer or the Yamaha. I like Kawasaki's, but the Teryx has a reputation of hot and loud. Wife wouldn't like that. I love Honda, wife drives and 18 Accord, I've had a dozen of their motorcycles I'd guess, but the seats on the 1000-5 just didn't look comfortable and the thing is too wide. I've also owned a few Yamaha bikes and a Rhino, the bikes were great, and what the Rhino lacked in performance (which was a lot) it kinda made up for in dependability. I paid $3500 for it 8 years ago used in good shape and sold it for $2000 in rough shape to a buddy who thought he got a killer deal. I had to put a few wheel bearings, couple of belts, brake pads, one axle, and a heck of a lot of oil, but thats really it.
    Paul65 likes this.

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Went on my first ride with a buddy that has a Teryx, after about 30 minutes he said he needed a break, it was getting hot in there!
    MORSNO and Paul65 like this.
    2019 X4 (or as my son thought I said "X-Force" and we just kinda ran with it) SE bought new in April 2020. Terrabite tires

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    For me it came down to the Teryx, Pioneer and the Wolverine. Polaris got eliminated because they don’t offer a decent four seater, the general and ranger wheel base is way too long for me.
    The Teryx was eliminated due to rear brake, rear seats are fixed and the tailgate doesn’t fold down. But it does have stock 14inch rims.
    Pioneer, I wanted but the rear seats suck and the lack of just passenger comfort and amnesties are the reason they got cut.
    The Wolverine seemed to be what I was always comparing against.
    I am very happy with the choice. I just wish it had turf mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Wolverine X4 SE Backcountry Blue
    30in Rough Country LED Light Bar
    Yamaha Front Glass Windshield w/ wiper
    Yamaha Hard top
    SuperWinch 4000lb
    Yamaha Soft Rear Window

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Same reason here as DugK.

I lean towards Yamaha but I like what Honda and Kawasaki put out too. Theirs just didn't fill my needs as well.

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DugK View Post
    For me it came down to the Teryx, Pioneer and the Wolverine. Polaris got eliminated because they don’t offer a decent four seater, the general and ranger wheel base is way too long for me.
    The Teryx was eliminated due to rear brake, rear seats are fixed and the tailgate doesn’t fold down. But it does have stock 14inch rims.
    Pioneer, I wanted but the rear seats suck and the lack of just passenger comfort and amnesties are the reason they got cut.
    The Wolverine seemed to be what I was always comparing against.
    I am very happy with the choice. I just wish it had turf mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Add in "heat and noise" on the Teryx and ditto to the rest. The Teryx looks mean, but really just a pussy cat!
    Tripplec and MassiveOverkill like this.
    2019 X4 (or as my son thought I said "X-Force" and we just kinda ran with it) SE bought new in April 2020. Terrabite tires

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    My wife is from a Yamaha family (her dad owned a Yamaha dealership in the late ‘60’s), so they’re pretty biased. However, when she and I got into riding quads about 10 years ago, we bought all Hondas - used - and then proceeded to put thousands of miles on the in Utah. No trouble from any of them. In fact, the only break-down we had was one of the yamahas! (Boy, did I enjoy that!) But when we moved to Utah, we needed a “family truckster” for taking visiting friends on trail tours and hopping between our family homes (we all live pretty close). Only two companies built 6-seaters, and the Viking VI had good reviews, so we bought one. I soon found that it was a good trail runner and we really didn’t need a SxS. And then my brother-in-law upped the ante and bought a YXZ1000R...

Though we tried, we couldn’t go on the same trails as the YXZ, and sand... well, that didn’t work. So, I started looking for an affordable, reliable SxS that could keep up with the YXZ on trails and could still carry some items in the bed. I wasn’t impressed with the Polaris offerings(too many maintenance issues) and a YXZ has absolutely no storage. Then I saw a used Wolverine SE at our local dealer. It fit our needs perfectly and had similar running gear as the Viking. And... I know this is going to go against the current... but I kind of liked the single cylinder engine design; simple and torquey. Time will tell, of course, but so far I’m happy with the Wolvy.
    MORSNO, Paul65 and therebel19 like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    1300 mi/90 hrs
    Metal wrap-around skid plate and A-arm guards
    SuperATV split windshield
    Yamaha vinyl rear window
    Yamaha bed box
    KFI Stealth winch
    27x9x12 tires (Front - stock SE wheels)
    27x12x12 tires (Rear - stock SE wheels)
    Ryco Moto 2102 street legal kit

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I'm so glad I went with the X-Force (my sons name for our 2019 X4). We went for a ride yesterday with the neighbors who bought a Teryx in March and has the same hours as our 6 week old Yamaha (45) and their belt started slipping on the way to the trail, plus they were complaining about the heat. Their father had just bought a new Pioneer a few weeks ago (was on top of my list until I saw the seats) and its been a total disaster, it has more trailer miles than trail miles and its in total pieces in the shop now with transmission and oil pressure issues that they can't seem to diagnose. Our X4 has been perfect, knock on wood!
    Wolvie Hunter and Paul65 like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    968 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsman View Post
    But when we moved...we needed a “family truckster”
    I use the same phrase! I love it!
    2016 R-Spec EPS, Folding Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn-3000
    Sedona-Storm 14", Rip-Saw Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    EMP-Front/Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV-2" Lift Kit
    19" LED Bar

2019 R-Spec X2, Folding Windshield, Cargo Box
    Warn-3500, 72” plow
    Interco Sniper 920's-28x10-14 on SB-3 Wheels
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    JBS-Firewall Shields
    Weller-ReFlash
    HMF-Titan Quiet Exhaust & Rear Bumper
    NGK-Iridium Plugs
    24” LED Bar

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    That sucks to hear about the Honda and Kawasaki. With this run of bad luck on normally reliable brands and the Wuhan virus, I think China is trying to sabotage everyone. There was a time when Japan would never had associated itself with parts from China. Maybe they need to go back to those days.
    2018 X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba tune
    Bunch of other stuff

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by therebel19 View Post
    That sucks to hear about the Honda and Kawasaki. With this run of bad luck on normally reliable brands and the Wuhan virus, I think China is trying to sabotage everyone. There was a time when Japan would never had associated itself with parts from China. Maybe they need to go back to those days.
    Keep in mind that it's the Japanese plants that had to close down along with the assembly plants in GA, not necessarily obtaining parts from China (although that may be a small possibility).
    MORSNO likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4, 124th unit built at Georgia
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 10000 miles and 670 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 20 gram HV weights
    Dynojet Power Vision 3
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Synthetic in everything with Engine/Gear butter by Hunterworks
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links