Wolverine vs commander 800
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Wolverine vs commander 800 within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I think the commander 800 is a pretty close comparison vehicle except the commander has twice the motor. I was shopping between the two and ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Abell34
  • 3 Post By DMcHarley
  • 1 Post By Abell34
  • 2 Post By One2nine

Thread: Wolverine vs commander 800

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    359 times

I think the commander 800 is a pretty close comparison vehicle except the commander has twice the motor. I was shopping between the two and the otd price on the yamaha was 12,200 and the commander 800 xt otd was more like 16,500. Both 2016 models. The xt came with a winch but pretty much everything else was equivelant. I drove and rode both back to back and ive spent alot of time in the commander my close friend has had one a few years. My wife and i chose to go with the yamaha for a few reasons, 1. Cheaper, 2. Quieter, 3. Not so damn hot. That commander boils you in the cab all summer., 4. Supposedly better reliability. My buddy runs his hard when he runs it but thats not that often. Its an impressive machine he has only had an issue with an unfound coolant leak. 5. Im a broad shouldered big armed guy but my wife is small. In the commander its hard to get in and out of quickly and i tend to elbow bump whoevers with me in the commander. The yamaha is way easier in and out and i find it very comfortable although the commanders seats are fantastic and removable and adjustable., 6. I think the yamaha is fast enough. Its nowhere close to the throw you back in the seat thrust of the commander but i think i could hold my own on the better handling yamaha in a tight course. If you open it up much more than 50 yards at a time ill see nothing but tailights. So in conclusion the commander bas its perks with the wicked motor car like interior and insane amount of storage. But for a big guy on a budget especially here in the hardwoods of ne ohio the yamaha is getting my nod.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    You've hit a lot of the same reasons bought the Wolverine. Ride comfort was my #1 had to have, and the Wolverine really delivers.Second would be the comfort and ease of entry / exit of the Wolverine cockpit. I test drove a Commander for a weekend last fall and really appreciated the engine heat on a cool fall day, but concluded it would be brutal in the summer. Another great feature of the Wolvie has to be the power steering, it's almost like a car, I found in the Commander all I did was saw the wheel back and forth, the faster you go...the more you saw the wheel, I didn't like that at all.. More engine power would be nice, but all in all I'm very pleased as well with the Wolvie!!
    MORSNO, atkbike and minnieme like this.
    2016 Wolverine SE
    Folding Windshield
    Home made Mud Guards
    Smittybilt 4000 Lb Winch
    EMP Front and Rear Bumpers
    27" Blackwater Evo's
    Prefex 2" Lift Kit
    Kolpin Rear Window
    20" Light Bar

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    359 times
    you got that right, in fact during my wife and i's back to back test rides this past weekend she even commented how we kept swerving back and forth on the commander when you layed the hammer down. Both machines break loose on demand in the low to mid speed corners but the Yamaha does it in a straighter line
    minnieme likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

September WOTM Winner! One2nine's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    I was in the same situation as these were my two options. I do feel the wolverine lacks in the engine department compared to its counter parts, but the suspension and comfort are what sold me. I have no regrets going with the wolverine.
    MORSNO and minnieme like this.
    '16 Steel blue R spec EPS
    27" ITP Blackwaters on 14" ITP Hurricanes, SSV stereo, Pro Armor harnesses with pass throughs, Fender flares, Facotry windshield, Warn ProVantage, HDM grab handles, 2R billet tip, and some LED lighting goodies

Sponsored Links