Looking to buy SxS in a few months
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Looking to buy SxS in a few months within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Hi all, I'm hoping to purchase a new SxS this spring. It will be our first SxS. I've never actually driven any SxS. But, I've ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Looking to buy SxS in a few months

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Hi all,

I'm hoping to purchase a new SxS this spring. It will be our first SxS. I've never actually driven any SxS. But, I've ridden with my buddy several times in his RZR4 800 Robby Gordon edition as well as his now new RZR4 1000. I was really impressed with his 800. Both power and handling. When on trail rides, I could barely keep up with him on my Grizzly 550. The only time I caught up was when he had to slow down between tight trees or really sharp turns. His new 1000 is obviously insane with power and again handles really well. However, it is quite a bit larger than his old 800.

I had been set on getting the new RZR 570 S (60" wide) until I stumbled across some reviews for the R-Spec. I went and looked at one yesterday and really liked it. It did however "seem" quite a bit larger than the 570. I know the tire width is the same (or within an inch or so). I guess the body just is much wider in the wolverine. At any rate, I haven't seen any comparisons of the Wolverine to the RZR 4 seaters. Just wondering what to expect. I ride in central and north central PA with the occasional trip to Hatfield McCoys. I guess my concern is that I'm used to running trails fast with the quad. I was surprised how well the RZR4 800 could do the same trails at speed. I know the RZR 570 S can do it (however, forums state not to expect the 570 springs and/or shocks to last real long). But, can the Wolverine do it? (All the videos I see are slow rock crawling and easy trail riding)

Thanks,

Jeff

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    With the right driver, the Wolverine can keep up with pretty much anything in the woods. Where the bigger machines gain their advantage is when you get out in the wide open.
    atkbike likes this.
    2016 Steel Blue Wolverine R Spec
    27" Blackwater Evolutions 14" STI HD3 wheels
    Warn ProVantage 3500 winch
    Yamaha overfenders and windshield
    EMP Rear windshield
    EMP Front and Rear Bumpers
    EMP A Arm guards and front skid
    SSV Works Overhead Audio

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Based on your description and how you liked your buddies, you'd probably be a better fit with the RzR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I'll sell you my wolvy. 2016 Special Edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Name:  IMG_2212.JPG
Views: 1336
Size:  2.60 MB

Here's my Wolverine next to my Dads Polaris 570.
    atkbike likes this.
    Wolvie Hunter

Yamaha - 2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS Hunter Edition, Folding Front Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Bed Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn - Vantage 3000 Winch & Cover
    Sedona - Storm 14" Aluminum Wheels, Rip-Saw R/T Radial ATV Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14, w/ Spare
    Assault - Center Mount Mirror
    Seizmik - Side Mirrors
    EMP - Front & Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV - 2" Lift Kit
    Rigidhorse - 19" Tri-Row LED Light Bar
    Concours - Wolverine Switch Panel
    Battery Tender
    Grab Handles

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Your doing the right thing by asking questons before you buy and the fellows on the forum will give you their best answers. I have to agree with Raggdoll that the RZR sounds like it's better suited for you. You can't really compare
    a 700 cc machine to a 800 or 1000. I too have friends with the same RZrs as yours and will tell you flat out - the Woverine can't compare to the speed of the Rzr's. But then again I don't really need to do 65+ on a trail in the woods.
    What you would like about the Wolverine is the dependability - - - The Rzr's go fast but at a price - belts -bearings -axels to name a few. It's true the Woverine would keep up for awhile, but you would be pushing it beyound its design limits and cost yourself a bundle in repair bills. Buy the RZR and keep your checkbook close
    Rebelscum likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1598 times
    Do you want to be a weekend "gas and go" guy or do you enjoy "wrenching"? If you enjoy dependable trail and technical riding I'd go with a Wolverine, if you will be flying on fire roads and open terrain go with a RZR, the two are quite different.
    T-Wiggle and Rebelscum like this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Wow. Thanks for all the feedback. However, I am surprised by the RZR recommendations...

Keep in mind, for purchasing purposes, I'm comparing the new RZR S 570 (60" wide) to the wolverine. Very close in MSRP.

Name:  IMG_0099.PNG
Views: 1352
Size:  140.4 KB

So smaller motor but lighter chassis. (Probably similar power performance I would guess). RZR already has good tires and I would not be looking to replace right away. However, I would need to add a roof, front bumper, and an engine breaking clutch setup (and maybe springs after a year or so).

The 570 supposedly runs with the old 800 (HP is pretty close). My buddies old RZR4 800 was obviously much heavier and longer than a 2 seater. He actually felt it was more stable than the 2 seaters because of that. So I guess I was thinking that would be comparable to the Wolverine in both the handling and power department. In my mind, I'm thinking the only thing the 570 S would do better is jump and take the woops faster ( don't know if I would ever be brave enough to go that fast to notice the difference though).

If the Polaris reliability reputation (deserved? idk) was top notch, I probably would go with that. However, coming from a Grizzly that I had zero problems with, I really enjoy not having to be towed out of the woods :-)

To answer some questions, I don't care about open road blazing at 60 mph (that's the top end of the 570). I just want to be able to do spirited trail riding without having my buddies on quads either waiting for me or being held up. Also, while I am able to work on machines in my garage... I don't really enjoy it. I'd rather clean them, do the routine maintenance and park it until the next ride.

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
    atkbike likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    380 times
    Which version of the wolverine are you looking at? Have to remember the wolverine comes standard with things such as doors and a roof (no roof on base model) that have to be purchased aftermarket with a RZR.

If you want speed go with the RZR. One guy I ride with has one and I can only keep up in the slower technical areas. If you want ride comfort and a true four wheel drive system go with the wolverine.

RZR has a little better aftermarket accessories available compared to the wolverine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    You can't put a price tag on fun!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Scsjeff i have the SE wolverine i ride the outlaw trails of WV. A month ago went on a ride with 2 rzr1000's and a canam 4seat 1000. In the trails the 1000's could not out run my wolverine I was right with them all day long and did actually pass them on tight trails we were at 3/4 to full throttle all day long. Both the rzr guys and the canam guy was extremely impressed with the wolverine. On open roads they could outrun me on top end the 1000 makes gobs of power. I have a friend with the rzr 570 and we have drag raced multiple times and my wolverine spanks him every time whether it's down low or top speed. The wolverine can fly through the trails like no other sxs. Suspension is excellent torque is impressive and reliability top notch.
    MORSNO, atkbike, Hillbilly and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links