Looking to buy SxS in a few months - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Looking to buy SxS in a few months

This is a discussion on Looking to buy SxS in a few months within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I own a Rzr 800 and would much rather the Wolverine for build quality alone. Adding a pcv and machined sheave to the Wolverine and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Looking to buy SxS in a few months

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    549 times
    I own a Rzr 800 and would much rather the Wolverine for build quality alone. Adding a pcv and machined sheave to the Wolverine and there will be no question. In the dunes or open desert floor, I want the Rzr.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Done a lot of research before i bought my first SxS, bought the Wolvy less than a month ago and I'm very happy with my purchase, the Wolvy soaks up the terrain and provides a nice smooth ride. rode with a 1000 maverick and 1000 rzr last weekend and was able to keep up in the technical stuff but they pulled away on the open smooth trails. but as others have said i didnt buy mine for wide open riding anyway, i bought it to hunt with and trail ride, which it does well, i will say that if you do plan on riding fast or side angle riding you will want to buy some better tires, the stock tires are 2 ply up front and 4 ply in the rear and the side walls have way to much flex.

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks for the additional comments guys! So far, I'm not hearing any reasons (that matter to me) not to go with the Yamaha. I agree the cockpit is much roomier as well.
    MORSNO likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSJeff View Post
    Thanks for the additional comments guys! So far, I'm not hearing any reasons (that matter to me) not to go with the Yamaha. I agree the cockpit is much roomier as well.
    Now go post over at a rzr forum and let us know the concesus there!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSJeff View Post
    That's because there isn't any.
    Wolvie Hunter

Yamaha - 2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS Hunter Edition, Folding Front Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Bed Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn - Vantage 3000 Winch & Cover
    Sedona - Storm 14" Aluminum Wheels, Rip-Saw R/T Radial ATV Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14, w/ Spare
    Assault - Center Mount Mirror
    Seizmik - Side Mirrors
    EMP - Front & Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV - 2" Lift Kit
    Rigidhorse - 19" Tri-Row LED Light Bar
    Concours - Wolverine Switch Panel
    Battery Tender
    Grab Handles

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggdoll View Post
    Now go post over at a rzr forum and let us know the concesus there!
    yeah, I know I'm getting biased answers. Part of the issue is that I'm specifically comparing the Wolverine to a brand new model (RZR 570 S). I only found 2 threads on the RZR forum. (And only one was from someone who had actually purchased one) and no professional reviews. If money were not an issue, I would probably be looking more at the 900 or 1000s...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    there is nothing wrong with the polaris 570 engine,i put 6,000 miles on the midsize I had with no issues,it just all the bearing,bushings and ujoint issues I couldn't put up with,turf mode was another good option,but am not a fan of polaris 4x4 system coming down steep slippery hills.
    Heliguy likes this.

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trailcutter View Post
    there is nothing wrong with the polaris 570 engine,i put 6,000 miles on the midsize I had with no issues,it just all the bearing,bushings and ujoint issues I couldn't put up with,turf mode was another good option,but am not a fan of polaris 4x4 system coming down steep slippery hills.
    Yes, that was my impression also. 570 is a great motor. In general, maybe all the Polaris motors are good. My father-in-law has an older Sportsman 800 that I rode a few times after I sold my Grizzly this past summer. His does have EBS. It definitely isn't as smooth as the Grizzly engine braking and sure does make a racket when engaged. Oh, and I've replaced a bunch of misc. parts on his for him too (including an axle and a wheel bearing)

I think Turf mode is only available on the more expensive models as well, (at least I know it is not an option on the 570 S) So that is not a factor for me. (Also seems like it could become an issue to me, idk)

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I posted this in an earlier thread. I have 1500 miles on my Wolverine now and still agree with everything I said-
    I have owned the following-
    2010 50" RZR-Transmission went out at 1k miles, sold at 2k miles.
    2011 60" RZR-The vent hose that polaris puts a slit in to let condensation drain out, split wide open. Engine was still running when I sold it, but I could see dirt/water had got into the engine, and I had no clue how much. That was at 2500 miles.
    2013 RZR XP-Front diff at 500 miles. Sold at 1,500 miles.
    2014 Maverick XXC-No issues, had 1k miles on it, but it was hot and loud. Great for hot rodding around, but got old in the trails.
    ALL of the Polaris would get about 300-500 miles on the factory bushings. About 500 miles on bearings. Other than the major issues I had, was a fairly solid machine.
    The wolverine rides better then any of them. No its not a rocket ship that the Mav was or the newer RZR's, but its just plain fun to drive. Yes, I get smoked on every straight away, but I have no problems in the woods, and I am a little faster when it gets tight. It still goes up and down all the stupid technical stuff we do just has good, if not better in some situations. Overall, I enjoy this machine more than any other one I have owned so far.
    Last edited by jmarx82; 01-10-2017 at 05:20 AM.
    MORSNO, Heliguy, CDNinSK and 1 others like this.

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarx82 View Post
    Overall, I enjoy this machine more than any other one I have owned so far.
    Now that is the best part! I like that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links