Looking to buy SxS in a few months - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Looking to buy SxS in a few months

This is a discussion on Looking to buy SxS in a few months within the Wolverine vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Wi_Rider, Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. Definitely looking at the R-Spec. heliguy, That's awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Looking to buy SxS in a few months

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Wi_Rider, Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. Definitely looking at the R-Spec.

heliguy, That's awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear from someone! Keeping with the big 4 seaters is impressive and that's great info that you can outrun a rzr 570 (surprised about the top speed though...)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Yeah let me expand a little his rzr weighs about 1000lbs and delivers 45hp the SE weighs about 1400lbs and has about 48hp my SE has the PCV and the Hunterworks wet clutch kit and sheave as well. So if you look at it relative we should be about even but I outrun him every time. He has a great machine in the 570 it just rides extremely stiff and he is looking at a wolverine now. I also have 28's on my SE. In the technical tight trails no one can outrun you especially if it's rocky the suspension on the wolverine is second to none. They are both great machines just trying to give you good info for your decision. I had a rzr800 before my SE but the rzr had so many issues it was time to get rid of it. I don't want to wrench all the time I want to ride that's why I bought my SE. I have a grizzly 700 SE eps and it has been rock solid as well no issues at all. Hope this helps with your decision but either way you go they are both good machines the suspension on the Wolverine is excellent and the torque is awesome. My SE tops out at about 62mph.
    atkbike likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    SCSJeff, Don't know where you live, would help to list your State and/or City & State, in your profile. If your anywhere close to East TN, Windrock OHV Park located near Oak Ridge, TN rents the Wolverine R Spec for around $200 for all day, maybe you could take a friend and split the cost. If you do go there, just be sure to make reservations ahead of time. On the pretty days they were renting them all out. You can really give the SxS a thorough test on all kinds of trails there, everything from easy gravel roads to the most technical rock crawling, and everything in between. That might help you decide, to be able to test one in real trail conditions. That's what 1brokeford and I did.

Edit: Just saw in you OP that you ride in PA so Windrock might be to long of a trip.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 01-01-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    PapaSkeeta,

Funny you mention Windrock... My wife and I were talking about taking a vacation to Tennessee. Of course, I looked into spending a day or two at Windrock and noticed they rent Wolverines. That's what got me researching them. Unfortunately, we won't be going until mid-summer and I want to have something by spring.

In fact, that brings up another point in favor of the Wolverine. My wife will be riding with me half of the time and she will definitely not want to be racing through the trails (or even on the roads). So the added comfort and storage options on the Wolverine will be a bonus for her...
    atkbike likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSJeff View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the feedback. However, I am surprised by the RZR recommendations...

Keep in mind, for purchasing purposes, I'm comparing the new RZR S 570 (60" wide) to the wolverine. Very close in MSRP.

Attachment 34562

So smaller motor but lighter chassis. (Probably similar power performance I would guess). RZR already has good tires and I would not be looking to replace right away. However, I would need to add a roof, front bumper, and an engine breaking clutch setup (and maybe springs after a year or so).

The 570 supposedly runs with the old 800 (HP is pretty close). My buddies old RZR4 800 was obviously much heavier and longer than a 2 seater. He actually felt it was more stable than the 2 seaters because of that. So I guess I was thinking that would be comparable to the Wolverine in both the handling and power department. In my mind, I'm thinking the only thing the 570 S would do better is jump and take the woops faster ( don't know if I would ever be brave enough to go that fast to notice the difference though).

If the Polaris reliability reputation (deserved? idk) was top notch, I probably would go with that. However, coming from a Grizzly that I had zero problems with, I really enjoy not having to be towed out of the woods :-)

To answer some questions, I don't care about open road blazing at 60 mph (that's the top end of the 570). I just want to be able to do spirited trail riding without having my buddies on quads either waiting for me or being held up. Also, while I am able to work on machines in my garage... I don't really enjoy it. I'd rather clean them, do the routine maintenance and park it until the next ride.

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
    Well, that's different then. Go Yamaha. I've had you name it since '77, they plain just never let you down!!!

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Go wolvy. Spring for the SE. The added underbody protection is worth the price increase. Plus everything else the package offers. Yamaha has great engine breaking. Better 4x4 system. Better clutch setup. More dependable. Probably bigger bed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Is the additional aluminum skid plates really necessary on top of the full welded steel plate that is already there? That's already far better than the plastic junk the competition puts on...

I agree on the awesome engine breaking (Grizzly was awesome too)

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I own a 16 se and i love it. Alittle more power would be nice, but i would say that even if it was a 1000. Polaris go fast and perform, but are definitely maintenance intensive, something the owners dont like to admit. I have owned polaris, i know. I have ridden with a 570 and it definitely outperforms its displacement. Impressive. Only time it had trouble was in deep mud. Worked the belt hard.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
    2" SuperATV lift
    4000 lb Cheapo winch
    Yamaha Half Windshield
    Yamaha Trunk
    28" Maxxis MudBugs 12" front and rear on SE BL rims
    HW Greaseless Sheave Kit 16g / purple spring
    0.5 mm shim
    HW Slug Kit
    HW Power Commander V
    HW 2R Exhaust tip with modded spark arrestor
    AIS disabled / HW kit
    Concours Switchplate
    17" spot / flood LED lightbar

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSJeff View Post
    Is the additional aluminum skid plates really necessary on top of the full welded steel plate that is already there? That's already far better than the plastic junk the competition puts on...

I agree on the awesome engine breaking (Grizzly was awesome too)
    I don't know if it's necessary but I'm glad I've got it. SE also comes with the nice steering wheel like the yxz has, the under seat storage, better looking color/graphics scheme, orange springs, and true beadlock wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I was also looking at the 570 RZR before I got my wolverine, and something that hasn't been mentioned is roominess in the cockpit. Sitting in the 570 with my wife, we were shoulder to shoulder. In the wolverine all that touches is our arms resting on the center console. That's not why I went with the wolverine, but it is something else to consider.

I LOVE mine too BTW.
    MORSNO likes this.
    Keep the rubber side down!

2016 Wolverine R Spec EPS Green
    Yamaha Over Fenders
    Yamaha Half Windshield
    Wally World Bed Box
    Homemade Front and Rear Mud Flaps
    Homemade Upper Windshield
    Homemade Half Dust Screen (rear)
    Coleman ATV Mirror

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast