Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options? within the Wolverine Purchasing forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I've been shopping for a new sxs for a few months now. Having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm on my 2nd Ranger ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options?

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I've been shopping for a new sxs for a few months now. Having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm on my 2nd Ranger right now and have been really happy with Polaris and have a good local dealer close by. Problem is we need 4 seats and something smooth on the trail.
    The unit will be driven by my wife a two younger kids chasing my older daughter and I on dirt bikes. The 2006 Ranger we have now is pretty rough ride and no power steering. We like having the box as we can put my middle daughters 110cc bike in box when she gets tired of riding.
    So the big dilemma was a Rzr 4 with a small box and fairly long wheel base or Ranger like we have with bench seats and only 3 seats or go full out on a Ranger crew.
    Finally I decided to look at something other than Polaris and saw the x4 which seems perfect for our use. I'm going to go see one next week. Anything in particular to look for?

I'm in Canada and there seems to be a lot of 2018s still kicking around. An SE is going for $18k.
    What's special about the SE? Just the automotive style paint?
    For options I want a winch, roof and windshield. Aftermarket seems to have way better prices than Yamaha. Are there any factory options that you think are a must have or better than then aftermarket.
    I'd like a heater as well but its $1000. I can buy a similar looking unit at Princess Auto for under $200. But I imagine the factory package comes with the ducting and vents and switches to make it all look factory.
    wolvymanx4 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I would go Yamaha, (side note) I myself am currently considering selling my 2 2014 700 eps Grizzlies and 2011 Grizzly 350 and getting an X4, keeping my 2017 Wolverine.
    I am also the type that says if you can afford to go with OEM Yamaha Accessories then do it before aftermarket.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

Super Atv - Front Window
    Kolpin - Rear Window
    Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    You could look at the Polaris Genral 4 seater, but the starting price is $21,799 American. It's a 100 hp. motor, quite powerful for younger drivers, where the X4 has an extra key under the hood to limit the speed for less expirenced drivers. I'm not sure about all the SE upgrades but I think besides atuomotive paint you get alloy wheels two tone seats and a huge list of factory accessories!
    wolvymanx4 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    27x9x12 ITP Blackwater Evos
    ITP C series wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    In addition to the fancy paint, the SE comes with a full aluminum skid plate kit and bead lock wheels. I am a former SE owner and those two add-ons are definitely worthwhile. I'm surprised Yamaha didn't continue to offer that for the Wolverine X2 SE as a standard feature.
    Budro2 likes this.
    Progress is man’s ability to complicate simplicity.

2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-spec SE(SOLD)
    Yamaha front/rear bumpers
    Yamaha Warn Provantage 3500 winch
    Yamaha half-window
    Yamaha storage box
    27" Sedona Coyotes
    Alba Racing ECU reflash
    Two $10 mirrors
    Yamaha High Output 15" HALO LED Light Bar

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Bead lock wheels, really? Are those real beadlocks or just fancy looking aluminum wheels with a ring of fake bolt heads?

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayh View Post
    Bead lock wheels, really? Are those real beadlocks or just fancy looking aluminum wheels with a ring of fake bolt heads?
    The R-Spec SE's have real beadlocks from Yamaha. It is on the outer side only. The bead is bolted into place.

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    But not on the x4, just regular wheels.

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I think it really comes down to where you ride. For me, we ride tight wooded trails. Polaris and Arctic cat 4 seaters were out. The only options were Honda pioneer, Kawasaki t4, wolverine x4 and maybe the can am commander max. The x4 was the best of the bunch for me. It has a tighter turning radius than my wildcat sport. The x4 is great but the lack of a box could be a deal breaker for some. The quietness of the machine is awesome. The biggest gripe about this machine is the 50 mph govorner. It can be eliminated and with larger tires, you can see 55 pretty easily.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks! We ride tight wooded trail in the mountains with tight switch backs. I can't imagine doing some of the switch back without a lot of backing up. Some I can't even get my Ranger around without one backup.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Speeds not an issue. I can't see my wife exceeding that. I doubt our Ranger can hit that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links