Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options?

This is a discussion on Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options? within the Wolverine Purchasing forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; There are no beadlocks on the 2018 X4 SE or special accessories included. I have the 2018 X4 SE and it comes with paint, and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Polaris or Yamaha? SE or not? Must have dealer options?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    309 times
    There are no beadlocks on the 2018 X4 SE or special accessories included. I have the 2018 X4 SE and it comes with paint, and the colored seats. Those are the only differences over the middle end models. Both the SE models and middle models come with the same aluminum wheels and the overfenders (plastic fender guards front and rear). The base model has steel wheels and no overfenders. No models come with aluminum skids plates or anything like that. Not even the hard top. Unless you talk the dealer into throwing stuff in.
    blast likes this.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    STI HD7 Wheels In Radiant Red
    Gladiator ATR 28X10R14 Tires
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield
    OEM Rear Bumper With Reverse Lights Mod
    Seizmik Strike Mirrors With Red Inserts

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    My x4 has a full skid plate under it, I didn't have it put on.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayh View Post
    I've been shopping for a new sxs for a few months now. Having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm on my 2nd Ranger right now and have been really happy with Polaris and have a good local dealer close by. Problem is we need 4 seats and something smooth on the trail.
    The unit will be driven by my wife a two younger kids chasing my older daughter and I on dirt bikes. The 2006 Ranger we have now is pretty rough ride and no power steering. We like having the box as we can put my middle daughters 110cc bike in box when she gets tired of riding.
    So the big dilemma was a Rzr 4 with a small box and fairly long wheel base or Ranger like we have with bench seats and only 3 seats or go full out on a Ranger crew.
    Finally I decided to look at something other than Polaris and saw the x4 which seems perfect for our use. I'm going to go see one next week. Anything in particular to look for?

I'm in Canada and there seems to be a lot of 2018s still kicking around. An SE is going for $18k.
    What's special about the SE? Just the automotive style paint?
    For options I want a winch, roof and windshield. Aftermarket seems to have way better prices than Yamaha. Are there any factory options that you think are a must have or better than then aftermarket.
    I'd like a heater as well but its $1000. I can buy a similar looking unit at Princess Auto for under $200. But I imagine the factory package comes with the ducting and vents and switches to make it all look factory.
    Given what your needs seem to be, I'd go Polaris General 4 or consider the Yamaha Viking 3-seater. I saw one of those General 4's, and I was pleasantly surprised at how compact looking it was. It didn't have that school bus long wheel base that most of them have. It even "looked" shorter than my buddy's Teryx4, which is also a great machine. If you can crack that $21K+ nut, see if you can take a look at one in person. It might be just what you need. Or get 2 Vikings for the same price. LOL.
    Last edited by Planetcat; 04-25-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: I meant Viking, not Wolverine.
    2017 Yamaha Wolverine EPS w/26" Sedona RipSaws

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Really not trying to be a jerk. But Polaris is junk. Powerful? Yes. Quality? No. Not to mention overpriced

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    309 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jrry261 View Post
    My x4 has a full skid plate under it, I didn't have it put on.
    All X4's come with a full welded on skid plate that can't be removed. This is one of the reasons I chose the X4. There is a factory optional skid plate set you could purchase separately though.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks everyone! I went to a local dealer and looked at a few models. I asked the salesman what the difference between the base model and the SE was and he said in addition to the upgraded paint/colored matched seats the SE got upgraded Fox shocks. I think he doesn't know what he was taking about. I could the the Rspec X2 across from it had Fox shocks with remote reservoirs but all the X4s had the same shocks other than the SE's coils were color matched.

All the X4s had full metal welded on skid plates. Very slick!

They had a 2018 blue base model with upgraded color matched alum rims and 28" tires and roof for a decent price, around $20K cdn out the door. Its a hard decision as I can get a base 2 seat General for $17.5 out the door and add a rear cage/bench seat for extra seating for about the same total price. I've ruled out a 4 seat RZR or General as the wheel base is too much.
    wolvymanx4 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    You might check out the Honda Pioneer 1000-5.
    Bench seat for three in front with individual fold down seats in the bed which might have room for the little bike and still use the other seat.
    More power and features and a higher top speed than the Wolverine.
    Also has turf mode.

Name:  2016-honda-pioneer-1000-utvunderground.com017.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  254.6 KB
    Last edited by Rockit401; 05-01-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    309 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayh View Post
    Thanks everyone! I went to a local dealer and looked at a few models. I asked the salesman what the difference between the base model and the SE was and he said in addition to the upgraded paint/colored matched seats the SE got upgraded Fox shocks. I think he doesn't know what he was taking about. I could the the Rspec X2 across from it had Fox shocks with remote reservoirs but all the X4s had the same shocks other than the SE's coils were color matched.

All the X4s had full metal welded on skid plates. Very slick!

They had a 2018 blue base model with upgraded color matched alum rims and 28" tires and roof for a decent price, around $20K cdn out the door. Its a hard decision as I can get a base 2 seat General for $17.5 out the door and add a rear cage/bench seat for extra seating for about the same total price. I've ruled out a 4 seat RZR or General as the wheel base is too much.
    You are right in your assumption about the salesman. LOL. No fox shocks. The X2 does have the adjustable resi shocks but they are KYB. Not FOX. The KYB are nice though. I wish they would have put them on the front of the X4 if not all the way around. But at least on the front with the self leveling in the rear. I don't think that would have been a bad combo at all.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield

Speed Demon
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    I read the spec's on bonafide review sites and OEM spec's they publish to be clear on what the machine is all about and what it comes with. If the sales rep doesn't know the product it maybe its not a powersport focused dealer, but just sells them. Check out the service dept then. Talk to someone there if you can. Otherwise look to see if another dealer is in your travel range. There is a guy on Youtube who bought one over the phone built to order unseen. His main surprise was the tail gate drop in section did not come with the build!! LOL unbelievable Yamaha would do that.

I ran the other way after reading about the CAM-AM rear diff issues and blowing seals of their SxS 800cc machine on their forums.

My wolverine will hit 85 km/hr which is more than fast enough for me. I know the newer series with the twin will go faster. But i am trail riding and how fast do I was to be going dodging maple and pine trees while bouncing through some bumps. I could have opted to a 100HP 1000cc rig but its too much machine. I am not the only one who would drive it either. A person could get into trouble real fast in that class of machine. Its like snowmobiles tearing through trails more than half throttle. (they have a death wish). I have had many sleds even my 1980 370cc sled would hit 60mph on the lake and new machine would blow that away in a heart beat and wrap the driver around a tree or flattened into a rock face. I hear it all the time hear every winter.

Durability, dependability and reliability are the key aspects, comfort as well as features.

Good luck on whatever you decide on and safe riding!
    Last edited by Tripplec; 05-02-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Well, we are going to be prejudiced. This is a Yamaha forum, after all. Having said that, there is a reason we drive Wolverines. They don't break. I'm in a club of 150 members, most of whom transitioned from quads to RZRs eight to ten years ago. The issues they experienced with their RZRs were significant. Now the RZRs have gone by the board in favor of Can Am Commanders and Wolverines. I suspect I'll be seeing a lot of Hondas now that the Talon is out. There are still a few Rangers, even four seaters, and they don't seem to have suffered as much as the RZRs.

I have a friend who lives in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and works in the summer as a deputy sheriff patrolling the forest trails there in a Yamaha Grizzly or Polaris Ranger (which his boss got free). Mostly he rides the Griz, because of the dirty uniforms he gets in the Ranger. Both, by the way, are loaded with red and blue strobe lights. Pretty cool. His personal ride is another Grizzly, but he is looking at a Talon. He told me back in 2007, before I got my first sxs, to get either a Yamaha or Honda. He tows broken down OHVs out of the forest daily, and says most are Polaris. I asked him again recently (after I had great luck with two Rhinos and a Wolverine) what he is towing these days. Same answer. He said that in the 20 years he's been doing this, he has yet to have to tow a single broken down Yamaha or Honda anywhere. Not one. And after owning three Yamaha SxSs, my total repair bills have been---zero. In 2016 got the RSEC EPS for the power steering and reservoir shocks. Added some of the SE stuff like steering wheel and A-arm guards. Mine came with a Warn winch I have never used. I put a windshield on the front and another on the back. And a light bar on top. I'm not sure the SE now comes with all the goodies it did back in 2016. But speaking as someone who was sure I didn't need the EPS, it is sure great to have!
    Budro2 and MORSNO like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links