How To Choose an ATV Helmet
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on How To Choose an ATV Helmet within the News forums, part of the Site News category; With so many options available, figuring out how to choose an ATV helmet can be tricky. Fortunately, we’ve got some thoughts to help you decide ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By VS_Goose
  • 1 Post By VS_Goose

Thread: How To Choose an ATV Helmet

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times

With so many options available, figuring out how to choose an ATV helmet can be tricky. Fortunately, we’ve got some thoughts to help you decide on the right ATV helmet for you.

Whether you call it a skid lid, a brain bucket or a hard hat, an ATV helmet is one of the most important pieces of safety gear you should own. The only thing that should come before it is common sense, which would tell you to wear a helmet. If you want to know how to choose an ATV helmet, is really pretty easy as long as you know the basics of what to look for.
    atkbike and erik like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Not a bad article, I'm glad it was mentioned never to buy a used helmet. I do feel you could have touched on a few more things... helmets aren't good forever, after a number of years the inner foam used for impact dispersion will not do as well as when it was new.

DOT certification was touched on, but perhaps a little more info on other different rating for helmets, SNELL and ECE R22-05, etc.

I was disappointed there was no mention of modular helmets, where the entire face can swing up - my favorite type, hehe. This allows you to get fresh air, talk more freely, have a drink, grab a bite, etc without taking off the helmet.

Something else to mention is having a removable liner makes it much easier to keep clean and from getting the funky helmet smell.

I thought you may be interested in some feedback, this is in no way a slam on the article or your site. Again, thanks for all the great content on your site, I've read much of it.

Cheers.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Oh I really appreciate the feedback. I'll send up some notes to the editor so they can look it over and get an idea of how to improve their article.

Just for clarification however, this is not my article. I post on behalf of ATV.com until we can get some posting sorted. Plus posting them gives me notifications so I can drop in and chat about it - perk of the job.

Thanks! I'm super stoked to go on atv.com and see all the new articles I can bring to the community. Gives you guys something to read and stay up to date on industry news.
    LeadSled01 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    In the mountains of British Columbia, Canada
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Another thing that was not mentioned was helmets for hunting while in your utv. A lot of guys like myself buy the Wolverine for hunting. None of the helmets shown would be at all suitable for hunting- as good as they are. Here is what I use when hunting. I can still use my rifles, especially scoped ones, without issue when wearing mine. They are certified helmets as well. Lots of padding and well ventilated.

You may notice my wife's helmet has padded flaps. She bought us a set of mikes for when we are out and about. As you know, the Wolverine can be noisy. We can talk above the engine when needed. The other thing is that these mikes have a long range. This is nice if we are hunting and she is spotting and we are apart. They fit nicely where the flaps go.

First off, my wife's: Hers has a built in visor which she really likes. Slides up into the helmet when not in use. Hers is a little fancier, she especially liked the logo, but the helmet itself is very functional.

With visor down:

She loves the logo:

Mine is camo, which I prefer. Nice spot for my goPro mount.

Vented:

Also approved:

Sponsored Links