Trash Can Hauler
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Trash Can Hauler

This is a discussion on Trash Can Hauler within the Yamaha Wolverine X2/X4 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; This won't be for everyone, but I had fun building it and it works. I have a sort of long gravel driveway down a not ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Trash Can Hauler

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Trash Can Hauler

This won't be for everyone, but I had fun building it and it works.

I have a sort of long gravel driveway down a not too steep slope with a few gradual curves. Also have a pregnant wife, winter weather coming, and I will be out of town for work some before the baby comes.

I don't want my wife slipping on ice/ snow whole I'm away taking the trash and recycling out. So I built this.

To start out, I have a superATV plow. I love the way the attachment works. It is super simple on/off. So I ordered an extra part from them so I could modify and make my idea work.

I came up with a few ideas, made some prototypes out of PVC and scrap wood to get the measurements close enough to start cutting metal. The weekend before Christmas I wad visiting family and had access to a metal fab shop a family member owns. We finalized the design, cut a few 1/4" plates on the laser table, shortened a few square tubes and welded it together to make the main frame.

When I got back home, l welded on the can hooks (angle iron and smaller square tubes) and tested it.

It worked but the cans rotated slightly and weren't as secure as I liked, so I ground the hooks back off and repositioned and tacked them in place. That's where I'm at now. They work perfectly. I need to finish welding the hooks, clean everything up and put some paint on it, but I'm easily happy with how it turned out.

I can pick up, transport, and set down the trash cans theoretically without leaving the driver's seat. It uses my winch to raise and lower. I say theoretically, because I'm sure I won't be able to train the garbalogist to set the cans back exactly spaced for picking them back up.

The can hauler comes off in less than 20 seconds if I need to attach the snow plow, or do some serious riding. Otherwise, it can stay on. I tried to match the angles of the factory bumper so it doesn't look too out of place. It also acts as a pretty heavy duty bumper itself. I have plenty of clearance, even at full steering wheel lock. It's not even close to the tire. I've rode around my property with it on, and it did drag a little through a steep creek crossing, but not enough to prevent me from making it through.

I'll add more pics once I finish and I'll show the full range of motion. Maybe a little video of it in action.

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    LeadSled01, LJ3, atkbike and 11 others like this.

Black Magic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    I am still carrying my recycling bins out to my road by hand. Sometimes its a challenge, not so much fo the weight but the surface can be slippy (I flipped straight on the back of my head last winter), didn't do a triple lux as I have managed in the past. My driveway and access had nearly one inch of ice on it from the weird winter thaw/freeze/rain cycles we had. I have a rear insert platform I could use but its not near as nice having the bins on the front where you can see them for sure.

Well done!!!
    atkbike likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    I was looking at one of these, but nice DIY:

MORSNO and atkbike like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 8000 miles and 500 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Black Magic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Nice rear solution for them big bins. We have blue recycling bins and green slop bins to haul out. For those garbage ones it works well.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    I am still carrying my recycling bins out to my road by hand. Sometimes its a challenge, not so much fo the weight but the surface can be slippy (I flipped straight on the back of my head last winter), didn't do a triple lux as I have managed in the past. My driveway and access had nearly one inch of ice on it from the weird winter thaw/freeze/rain cycles we had. I have a rear insert platform I could use but its not near as nice having the bins on the front where you can see them for sure.

Well done!!!
    Thanks. I'm happy how they turned out. I fell last winter too. And be being a guy, I have to take both cans at once. With the gravel driveway one can always tries to turn over cause it hit a rock. then I'm doing the weird twisty thing trying to catch one and not knock over the other. I've spilled trash a couple of times. It's a even worse empty when they bounce more.

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Nicely done... now you'll need lighting up top so you can see beyond the bins.

Quote Originally Posted by L3rian View Post
    This won't be for everyone, but I had fun building it and it works.

I have a sort of long gravel driveway down a not too steep slope with a few gradual curves. Also have a pregnant wife, winter weather coming, and I will be out of town for work some before the baby comes.

I don't want my wife slipping on ice/ snow whole I'm away taking the trash and recycling out. So I built this.

To start out, I have a superATV plow. I love the way the attachment works. It is super simple on/off. So I ordered an extra part from them so I could modify and make my idea work.

I came up with a few ideas, made some prototypes out of PVC and scrap wood to get the measurements close enough to start cutting metal. The weekend before Christmas I wad visiting family and had access to a metal fab shop a family member owns. We finalized the design, cut a few 1/4" plates on the laser table, shortened a few square tubes and welded it together to make the main frame.

When I got back home, l welded on the can hooks (angle iron and smaller square tubes) and tested it.

It worked but the cans rotated slightly and weren't as secure as I liked, so I ground the hooks back off and repositioned and tacked them in place. That's where I'm at now. They work perfectly. I need to finish welding the hooks, clean everything up and put some paint on it, but I'm easily happy with how it turned out.

I can pick up, transport, and set down the trash cans theoretically without leaving the driver's seat. It uses my winch to raise and lower. I say theoretically, because I'm sure I won't be able to train the garbalogist to set the cans back exactly spaced for picking them back up.

The can hauler comes off in less than 20 seconds if I need to attach the snow plow, or do some serious riding. Otherwise, it can stay on. I tried to match the angles of the factory bumper so it doesn't look too out of place. It also acts as a pretty heavy duty bumper itself. I have plenty of clearance, even at full steering wheel lock. It's not even close to the tire. I've rode around my property with it on, and it did drag a little through a steep creek crossing, but not enough to prevent me from making it through.

I'll add more pics once I finish and I'll show the full range of motion. Maybe a little video of it in action.

Let me know what you think.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Yea, I probably need something for plowing anyways. I don't have to be up super early to go to work, so I think I'll be ok for now.

I finished welding and painting. I'm thinking I'll pick up a couple plastic caps for the ends of the square tubes and add sine rubber strips to the angle iron "hooks." It tucks almost perfectly to the existing bumper, and I don't want to scratch it any more than it already is.

Anyways, this was a fun project, that turned out better than I hoped and it worked.

Here are a few quick clips of it in action from three driver's seat. I need to get my wife to record it from outside the machine, but for some reason she's not as excited about it as I am.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by L3rian; 01-07-2020 at 12:44 AM.
    atkbike and LJ3 like this.

rlk
    Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    man i love it. How much do you think it cost to build that? A little side business there...
    2019 Wolverine X2
    OEM Glass windshield
    OEM Rear glass
    OEM Arm guards
    OEM Brush guard
    AMS 27" Evil 1 tires
    KFI winch mount
    Warn Axiom 35 winch
    KFI 66" Poly Plow with flap/markers

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rlk View Post
    man i love it. How much do you think it cost to build that? A little side business there...
    Thanks! I already had the plow mount and winch. I spent $60 on the additional part from Super ATV. I don't know what the part I made would cost. Probably $50 in labor. Maybe the same in materials. Then you have to have the standard trash cans with the bars. Ours came from a big box store, but at our old house, thet were provided.

I guess it would just depend on how much of the project you already have. I really like the super ATV plow mount. It's really easy and fast to swap attachments. I have another idea for a light duty hoist. basically an A-frame mounted similarly to the trash can hauler that could lift a deer for cleaning or to just pick it up out of the field. Or putting items in the bed of a truck or on a trailer. Wouldn't be able to lift really heavy items or really high, but could be useful if you don't have any other help around. I'd want to also be able to use the winch to hoist with, so that gets trickier, but I'm sure I can come up with something.

A you can probably tell, I need a small tractor, but I'm working with what I have for now.

Black Magic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Well done, you sure thats enough steel to support them bins?? LOL

Enjoy the ride
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof