Beadlock Wheels on the X2/X4
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Beadlock Wheels on the X2/X4 within the Yamaha Wolverine X2/X4 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Has anyone considered the advantages or disadvantages of such a setup? I like the idea of airing down to single digits without the likelyhood or ...

Thread: Beadlock Wheels on the X2/X4

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Has anyone considered the advantages or disadvantages of such a setup? I like the idea of airing down to single digits without the likelyhood or losing pressure via a rolled bead.

Would steel or aluminum be better? Do they even make a steel beadlock wheel in the 4/110 with the proper offsets?

Would one have to go with a 27” or larger tire to take full advantage of lower pressures?

Any and all opinions welcome of course.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Stock 2016-2018 YXZ bead locks will work! They are 14" 4X110 bolt pattern Front 5+1.5 Rear 6+2 I think I am going to get a set when it is time to do tires. I am thinking I will go with a 27" STI Chicane tire!

HDHP
    2019 X2 R Spec EPS.

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nhupress View Post
    Has anyone considered the advantages or disadvantages of such a setup? I like the idea of airing down to single digits without the likelyhood or losing pressure via a rolled bead.

Would steel or aluminum be better? Do they even make a steel beadlock wheel in the 4/110 with the proper offsets?

Would one have to go with a 27” or larger tire to take full advantage of lower pressures?

Any and all opinions welcome of course.
    I am running 28" tires on 14" beadlocks. The sidewalls on my tires are stiff. Im pretty sure I could cun them flat if I needed to and was careful. I went with beadlocks, mainly because I like the look and wanted to be able to change my own tires more easily. The downside is that they are heavy. If going with a 14" rim, I wouldnt do a 27" tire. I like alot of sidewall and my 28" tires are at the minimum of what I like.

I run douglas ultimate beadlocks on another machine. They are expensive but I found them on closeout and only paid about 40 bucks per rim. You may look and see if there are still some of them out there. They are a spun aluminum wheel. very light and strong.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    649 times
    I am a fan of beadlocks and low pressures. I run steel beadlocks on my Sami and 2-4 psi with 35's. That said, the only real gain on a SXS is serviceability. Atv wheels hold a bead much better than automotive wheels. The SXS is moving much quicker and if you get much below 10 psi you will pinch sidewall. The beadlocks for these do have the advantage of being close to the same price as non beadlocks.

Last edited by Jraoffroad; 09-12-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    138 times

STI rims with ST Enduros XTS 28”. They are steel belted DOT approved. They are NOT the tire you want to have if you want to air down and get a lot of flex for sand. They are great in hard pack desert environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Anyone running the same size wheel/tire combo on the front and rear? I've done that on my ATV (Scrambler 850) and really like it. 4 wheels and tires all the same. one spare tire/wheel that fits everywhere.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 54warrior View Post
    Anyone running the same size wheel/tire combo on the front and rear? I've done that on my ATV (Scrambler 850) and really like it. 4 wheels and tires all the same. one spare tire/wheel that fits everywhere.
    One thing I rarely see mentioned is tire rotation. The rear wheels will wear out on pavement (I drive mine street legal quite a bit) due to the rear differential being locked at all times. I’d love to be able to rotate an expensive set of tires.

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What are the specs on these wheels? I am looking to go to a 14x7 wheel with 28x10-14 tires, but I can't lock down the factory specs, specifically the offset. Some are saying that you need to run spacers on the rear if you get the same size wheels.

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 650pilot View Post

STI rims with ST Enduros XTS 28”. They are steel belted DOT approved. They are NOT the tire you want to have if you want to air down and get a lot of flex for sand. They are great in hard pack desert environment.

What are the specs on these wheels? I am looking to go to a 14x7 wheel with 28x10-14 tires, but I can't lock down the factory specs, specifically the offset. Some are saying that you need to run spacers on the rear if you get the same size wheels.

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I’m not sure. I bought it like this from the dealer. I’ll ask them the next time I’m in there.

Sponsored Links