'19 X2 R-Spec vs '20 Talon X?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on '19 X2 R-Spec vs '20 Talon X? within the Wolverine X2/X4 vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; After being without a SXS for about 18 months the wife and I decided to get back in the game. We last had a '17 ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By dburt
  • 1 Post By InfidelMT
  • 1 Post By dburt
  • 1 Post By Flesh Eater
  • 1 Post By therebel19

Thread: '19 X2 R-Spec vs '20 Talon X?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times

After being without a SXS for about 18 months the wife and I decided to get back in the game. We last had a '17 Wolverine R-Spec but sold it for various reasons. Anyway, in the mean time I had done lots of homework and decided we wanted to get a new Talon X. We sold some stuff, saved up money and I went into our local Yamaha and Honda dealer when they got a new Talon X in. I wanted a real transmission like the Talon had, I was still not sold on belts due to issues we had with a Kawasaki Teryx and it's belt drive back in 2015 or so. I never had issues with the '17 Wolverine, but was still skittish on the belt drive. The wife suffers from a bum leg and when she went to get onboard the Talon she had trouble getting her game leg onboard too. And then the '20 Talon X with no roof was $18,500 out the door. (By the time we added a roof, winch, half windshield and paid the title transfer costs ((no sales tax in Oregon)) we were going to be about $7,000 more then the last new '19 Wolverine X2 R-spec the dealer had with lots of incentives to get the last '19 X2 out the door) Now since we are past the days of having to see how fast we can go, or how far we can fly our SXS, the '19 R-spec X2 with Camo 'paint' and roof was about $12,500 out the door, so the $6,000 savings was a huge factor. Plus the dealer said that Yamaha has a warranty on the drive belt good for 10K miles, I forget the time factor involved but we will never put 10K miles on the X2 in 10 years. We are now senior citizens, and mostly ride logging roads and Forest Service or BLM roads in the mountains where we like to do some rock hounding and metal detecting. So the X2 should be more then adequate for our needs. Some things I liked about the Talon included excellent seats, a real transmission, and little more ground clearance it seems. But we did not like the small cargo box on the back, and as I said the wife had trouble getting her bum leg to go along with the rest of her. The X2 has a quieter engine then the '17 Wolverine R-spec we had, I like the new dump bed, but I don't like the extended door latch that sticks out and makes entry and egress a chore for tired old arthritic bones. I just don't bend where I need to as well as I did 30 years ago!
    Last edited by dburt; 06-24-2020 at 11:46 PM.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec, winch, 1/2 windshield deflector, pretty much stock!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    You made the right choice with your 19 X2 over the Honda.
    Rockit401 likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
    1st Wolverine X2 ECU Tuned by Dynojet with PV3 and HMF QS
    HW w/20's with blow out port
    MSA M25 Wheels w/ EFX 8ply 27x10x14 Motoclaw with SATV 1.5" Rear Wheel Spacer
    SATV Flip Windshield & Half
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Your opinion makes me feel better, that's what other folks have told me too! And the bank account says the same thing too!
    Flesh Eater likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec, winch, 1/2 windshield deflector, pretty much stock!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    322 times
    When I clicked on this I was thinking, "Who even compares the two?" After reading, it makes sense, and those Talons are good looking, good sounding machines, but definitely more for sport than what you need.

The most amazing thing I've noticed about these X2 machines is how easy they are to do a mild build on. The rear bed set up leaves room for much larger tires, with almost no lift requirement at all. Building an X2 to comfortably run 29" tires is much easier than the X4 due to the rear suspension design. The X2 is also a nimble little machine, great for exploring.

On paper, I really can't see any downsides to buying an X2...unless you're need/want is to go really fast.
    Paul65 likes this.
    Run it, break it, fix it.

2019 Wolverine X4 SE with a bunch of junk on it...

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    226 times
    I wondered the same thing. YXZ seems more the competitor to the Talon but the Wolvy sounds way more practical for the OP.

dburt, enjoy your new ride.
    Paul65 likes this.
    2018 X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba tune
    Bunch of other stuff

Sponsored Links