X2 v Polaris General - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

X2 v Polaris General

This is a discussion on X2 v Polaris General within the Wolverine X2/X4 vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Agreed, the pricing is ridiculous! I guess Polaris figures people will pay thier crazy prices....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: X2 v Polaris General

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Agreed, the pricing is ridiculous! I guess Polaris figures people will pay thier crazy prices.
    Mad Dog_037 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    OEM Folding Windshield
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    Super ATV 1" wheel spacers in rear
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Polaris - Way more ground clearance with bigger tires is what I like about them. I’d like to see the Wolverine engineered from the factory with stock 28” tires on 14” rims. The 2020 XTR is a step in that direction, it came out six weeks after I bought the ‘19.
    Last edited by Paul65; 01-26-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
    LJ3 and wolvymanx4 like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec bought new 8/9/2019
    Yamaha windshield & full soft cab, rock sliders, rear fender flares, rear bumper
    Yamaha Warn winch with custom front bumper
    Richochet A-Arm guards
    Front & Rear LED pod lights
    Backup Camera
    Seizmik Windshield Vents
    Seizmik mirrors
    Removed all the warning stickers & badges
    Signs from doityourselflettering.com
    Tablet for GPS Navigation

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    Polaris - Way more ground clearance with bigger tires is what I like about them. I’d like to see the Wolverine engineered from the factory with stock 28” tires on 14” rims. The 2020 XTR is a step in that direction, it came out six weeks after I bought the ‘19.
    They have 12 inches stock, the xtr is sitting at 11.5 so not much in it. I agree factory 28" would have been ideal for the wolverines

19 X2 SE. lots of other stuff

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    The general was easy to knock off my list.
    There was no way in cornbreadhell I would spend my money on a off road machine that didn't give me control of my 4-wheel drive system.

No front diff lock ~ No Deal.

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night....lol
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    STI HD9 Matte Black Machined Beadlock Wheels
    GBC Kanati Terra Master 28x10-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATV’s Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    The general was easy to knock off my list.
    There was no way in cornbreadhell I would spend my money on a off road machine that didn't give me control of my 4-wheel drive system.

No front diff lock ~ No Deal.

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night....lol
    Diff lock makes all the difference. Full control

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    The shifter that is not gated is huge to me. I ride with a Polaris buddy and his shifter got hit while driving in high at about 15mph. The passenger accidentally hit it. The motor grenades. $1800 later is was back running with the same non-gated shifter. WTF.

And back to your point but slightly different, why go into 4wd if you are not going to be in 4wd. The Polaris waits until the rear slips before engaging the front wheels. Why cause turf or driveway damage if you don't need to? Think about downhill... do you want the rears to break traction during engine braking before engaging the front? Then they came out with ADC on the quads to allow you to choose to engage the fronts during downhill. Then they tell you don't use it unless you have to or it will wear out the front diff. So now in the hills you have to manually flip a switch to select Active Descent Control on the way down, then by God please remember to turn it off on the way up or on flat land. WTF.

Yamaha has the best system and that's why I'm in a Yamaha. They just need to address the wheel size and clearance deficits.
    Last edited by Paul65; 01-27-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: More explanation
    jasonlewis995, SKELLEY521 and LJ3 like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec bought new 8/9/2019
    Yamaha windshield & full soft cab, rock sliders, rear fender flares, rear bumper
    Yamaha Warn winch with custom front bumper
    Richochet A-Arm guards
    Front & Rear LED pod lights
    Backup Camera
    Seizmik Windshield Vents
    Seizmik mirrors
    Removed all the warning stickers & badges
    Signs from doityourselflettering.com
    Tablet for GPS Navigation

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    Yes, the gated shifter was also on my list of must haves.

I know a lot of people that don't want gated as they like being able to slap it from forward to reverse when they are hung up.
    I don't see that as a problem myself, what's a second really.
    I guess I'm just use to it from all they years of using Trucks to mud with.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    The shifter that is not gated is huge to me. I ride with a Polaris buddy and his shifter got hit while driving in high at about 15mph. The passenger accidentally hit it. The motor grenades. $1800 later is was back running with the same non-gated shifter. WTF.

And back to your point but slightly different, why go into 4wd if you are not going to be in 4wd. The Polaris waits until the rear slips before engaging the front wheels. Why cause turf or driveway damage if you don't need to? Think about downhill... do you want the rears to break traction during engine braking before engaging the front? Then they came out with ADC on the quads to allow you to choose to engage the fronts during downhill. Then they tell you don't use it unless you have to or it will wear out the front diff. So now in the hills you have to manually flip a switch to select Active Descent Control on the way down, then by God please remember to turn it off on the way up or on flat land. WTF.

Yamaha has the best system and that's why I'm in a Yamaha. They just need to address the wheel size and clearance deficits.
    Mad Dog_037 likes this.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    STI HD9 Matte Black Machined Beadlock Wheels
    GBC Kanati Terra Master 28x10-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATV’s Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I had the chance to log seat time in a general xp 1000 on the same acreage/trails where I put most of the miles on my X2. It certainly shined in some areas- tons of power, fast, super smooth blasting down open trails and logging roads. The deal breaker for me was in the hills. We have a lot of steep, long, and loose descents. Between the belt engagement and AWD system I encountered situations where the rear wheels would lock up and the rear end of the machine felt like it wanted to come around. Feathering the throttle and trying to keep the driveline engaged helped somewhat, but its nothing like the confidence of dropping a Yamaha in 4wd low and just letting the machine do its thing. The x2 has fewer frills, the interior is much more sparse, but that ruggedness and practicality is exactly what I wanted to my usage.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisru View Post
    I had the chance to log seat time in a general xp 1000 on the same acreage/trails where I put most of the miles on my X2. It certainly shined in some areas- tons of power, fast, super smooth blasting down open trails and logging roads. The deal breaker for me was in the hills. We have a lot of steep, long, and loose descents. Between the belt engagement and AWD system I encountered situations where the rear wheels would lock up and the rear end of the machine felt like it wanted to come around. Feathering the throttle and trying to keep the driveline engaged helped somewhat, but its nothing like the confidence of dropping a Yamaha in 4wd low and just letting the machine do its thing. The x2 has fewer frills, the interior is much more sparse, but that ruggedness and practicality is exactly what I wanted to my usage.
    Heck ya man, great points ! I feel the X2 is just so much more refined in its capabilities. 69hp is more than enough for all but the flat, wide open riders. 100hp was difficult to control in the tight twisties of the east coast. Just a small bump of the throttle can send you in a direction you didnt want to go!

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    If the Wolverine had the General's suspension travel no one here would give a second thought to the Polaris. Even the extra power, though nice, is a pretty small issue for most of us: More is always better (in our minds), but enough is fine, too.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Dragonfire "D" Steering Wheel, Assault Hub Adapter
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    OEM A-arm guards
    Driver's side shoulder bolster deleted
    Swaybars deleted
    Hunterworks sheave and exhaust tip
    Super ATV 1.5" spacers, winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion 3,500 lbs winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness