Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000 within the Wolverine X2/X4 vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I'm just curious what made people choose the Wolverine X4 over a Honda Pioneer 1000/1000-5, or if the Pioneer was ever even a consideration? I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times

I'm just curious what made people choose the Wolverine X4 over a Honda Pioneer 1000/1000-5, or if the Pioneer was ever even a consideration? I could understand with the wolverine 700 and the Pioneer since price is so different and the wolverine definitely rides better. After driving the Honda and the X4 and the price between the both I would buy the Honda but just wanted to know other peoples thoughts.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I bought my X4 (our first ATV) without seeing the Honda. I was actually at the dealership to look at a non-current Wolverine and my wife noticed the X4 in the showroom (love at first sight). What attracted us was the rear seating and I liked that it was on the smaller platform with the 850cc motor. I had previously taken her for rides in an AC Prowler and a Ranger - and she hated it - loud, harsh and jerky. The X4 in comparison was so quiet and smooth.

I have never driven a Honda but do have respect for the brand and quality associated with it. A few weeks after we bought theX4 I went to a Honda dealer to look at the Pioneer - my impression was that it seemed huge compared to the X4, and the rear seats were crap - like sitting on the floor - and I did climb in there to make an honest comparison. Yeah the X4 you have to twist to get into the seat but once you are there it is roomy and comfortable, and the great sight line......

So I didn't really choose the X4 over the Pioneer, however after looking at the Pioneer I was satisfied that we made the right choice for our needs. I like that 4 can comfortably sit and socialize and the X4 is so nimble and fun on the trails. The lack of tilt bed is no big deal for us.

We all need to look at our needs and buy the product that best fits them.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    Never drove the Honda but:

-Replacing a $90 belt vs the cost of a Honda transmission
    -Although it's a different model, saw vids of 700-4's crappy climbing abilities
    -FIL's friend has a brand new Honda 500 SxS model that he brought over and that the transmission sounded horrible.
    -Rear seats suitable for stick figures
    -I rarely ever used my Viking's dump bed and trying to secure things in that bed was a PITA
    -Honda is 63" wide and X4 is 60", some trail width restriction gates are strict at 60" in some places
    -Yamaha knows how to do grab bars. Polaris and Honda don't
    -Are there even any hop-ups/upgrades you can do to a Honda?
    -I bleed blue so I'm obviously biased
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/671163569748779/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    I really like my Yamaha I also have a YZ450F but I have always been a big fan of Honda too. The Pioneer Is definitely quieter but the seats in the back are very very uncomfortable. The seats in the back of the Wolverine X4 are definitely more comfortable but there isn't a whole lot of room if you don't have four people, and I sure wouldn't want to haul wood chips or dirt back there or I don't think those seat sliders would work very well. It will be a couple years before I get a new SXS so who knows what all will be different by then(probably everything)!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    311 times
    To comment on an older thread, to many electronics on the honda, and clutch issues. They need to keep the fancy electronics to a minimum, KISS!
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Alpine white

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Well since it's back to the top.

For me it was the P1000 clutch failures. I was told the DCT don't lock the 1st gear clutch until 4 mph. I need to be able to creep at times.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    My brother has a pioneer 5 delux. It’s well built and has good power. The 4 wheel drive system works really good to.
    But it’s to tall and wide for our trails up here and the constant switching of gears at low to moderate speeds is really ackward and annoying. Not for me. Much happier with my wolverine.
    2017 wolverine se
    27" Itp blackwaters,Yamaha folding windshield,cargo box ,grab bar,led taillights with built in reverse lights,Super atv 2" lift , 12" led light bar ,rear view mirror, silver momo shift nob, silver painted dash symbols/shift letters. Night eye led headlight bulbs,fox trailer hitch cover,warn winch 3500,kfi winch stopper,tgm doors with graphics. Quadboss grab handles.SYA snorkel

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Had a 2014 Viking 3 seater for many years...then started having an occasional "plus one". We went and looked at many of the 4 seaters out there and one of the easiest to omit was the Honda, for one specific reason. All you have to do is sit in the back of one of those and you will know what I mean! The seats themselves are very uncomfortable and not very far above where your feet go. When you're sitting in it your knees are up around your chin!
    We went back and forth between the Terry and the X4....once I figured out how I was going to overcome the storage/hauling issue (remedy in progress) , we were sold!
    MassiveOverkill and MORSNO like this.

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    ive never sat in the back of a Honda 1000-5 but then again if i buy the machine i wont be the one sitting in the back lol. I think they are a solid machine and really considered buying one before i bought my wolverine rspec. My biggest turn off for the Honda is the seating position. Its just not sporty enough i think its more in the class of ranger, gator, defender, Viking than the sport utility class. Im waiting patiently for Honda to make a true sport utility.
    2016 green R-Spec, oem folding front shield , front and rear lighting, 27x9 & 27x11 Kenda Bearclaw HTR, Warn 4500 Provantage, KFI plow set up, Custom bash plate, Hunterworks PCV and AIS blockoff, Hunterworks exhaust tip (modified with partial stock baffle)

Paper Boy AppalachianMountainRiders's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I had a 1000-5 that I sold to get the X4. The Pioneer is a great machine that yes, has a few things over on the X4. But overall the X4 is a much better trail machine than the 1000 if you ride a lot of tight wood trails which I do. I will miss the power and get up and go of the 1000 and it rode nicer due to greater suspention travel, but it was also louder, much hotter in the cab, the rear seats were kind of a joke unless you had young kids that were the only ones to ride back there, and the pioneer was a mother bear to ease over technical stuff with as jerky and the clutch engaged. Seriously, I think I gave myself whiplash a time or two from trying to "ease" over stuff...lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links