Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000

This is a discussion on Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000 within the Wolverine X2/X4 vs the Competition forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Originally Posted by AppalachianMountainRiders I had a 1000-5 that I sold to get the X4. The Pioneer is a great machine that yes, has a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Wolverine X4 VS. Pioneer 1000

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMountainRiders View Post
    I had a 1000-5 that I sold to get the X4. The Pioneer is a great machine that yes, has a few things over on the X4. But overall the X4 is a much better trail machine than the 1000 if you ride a lot of tight wood trails which I do. I will miss the power and get up and go of the 1000 and it rode nicer due to greater suspention travel, but it was also louder, much hotter in the cab, the rear seats were kind of a joke unless you had young kids that were the only ones to ride back there, and the pioneer was a mother bear to ease over technical stuff with as jerky and the clutch engaged. Seriously, I think I gave myself whiplash a time or two from trying to "ease" over stuff...lol.
    Do you notice much of a difference between 69 hp and 77 hp? Maybe things will even out after you mod your clutch. Did you hear this pipe? The sound alone has to be good for 8hp.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    27" Big Horn 2s, SuperATV Flip Windshield, Yamaha Soft Cab, Yamaha Cargo Box, Kolpin 3500# winch w/ synthetic rope, KFI winch mount, UPI Inferno Heater, JBL PRV-175 stereo, Polk 6.5 speakers, Garmin Drive 60 with VV Mapping. Lots of other little things.

Paper Boy AppalachianMountainRiders's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I want to hear that Big Gun in person! Sounds good though even through a computer.

I don't notice the power difference at all from a standstill. The X4 is just as quick feeling of the line and pulls just as hard. Where I notice it is at cruising speed when you hit the gas. The 1000 would take off no matter what speed you were in but not the X4. The closer you get to the top end the less guts it has and it begins to feel really sluggish but like you said, I'm hoping some clutch work will solve that.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Try to get one for your review! I have power all the time in the X2 but above 40 the punch isn't there as I would expect. But I don't have a P1000 to compare it to.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    27" Big Horn 2s, SuperATV Flip Windshield, Yamaha Soft Cab, Yamaha Cargo Box, Kolpin 3500# winch w/ synthetic rope, KFI winch mount, UPI Inferno Heater, JBL PRV-175 stereo, Polk 6.5 speakers, Garmin Drive 60 with VV Mapping. Lots of other little things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I looked at the Honda, some neat but poorly implemented features, back seats are terrible for adults, I had a tilt bed on my teryx, never used it accept for maintenance. Honda is to big to load into pickup. Mostly the nightmare stories of Honda refusing to do warranty work turned me off. I have no regrets with the x4, I just wish they made one like it years ago.

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Looks like I'm 6 months late to this party but I narrowed it down to these 2 and figure that someone might someday find my reasoning helpful.

I'm a motorcycle guy so for me it had to be either the Honda or Yamaha. I trust Honda and Yamaha equally for reliability. A lot of my favorite trails don't have cell reception and I'm not a mechanic. I can fix and change tires and solve basic electrical and fueling issues but that's pretty much it, so getting stranded with kids is not an option.

Where I live, there is a max wheelbase limitation to make it street legal, that leaves the Honda and Yamaha as the Polaris General is too long.

A lot of the trails around me are narrow with sharp turns. In the X4 I can get up trails that usually are only wide enough for ATV's. The Honda 4" extra width could be a problem, or at least it would get scratched up a lot worse.

Also, I prefer the front seats of the X4 too, they keep you in place better than the bench seat of the Pioneer. Not sure how I could use that Pioneer center front seat. Don't want an adult pressed up that hard against me (unless she's super hot). Maybe if you have 3 kids older than car seat age but under 12?

I carry 4 people almost every time out. Rear seat comfort for adults matters. The Pioneer just doesn't cut it past maybe 30 minutes, if that. The X4 rear seats are actually more comfy than the front, because they are the same seats but lean back a touch more.

If 2 of those 4 people are my wife and daughter, they have an upper limit. This means that they get out if I'm wanting to get crazy. They also are done after a pretty short ride. My son and I on the other hand can go try to kill ourselves all day. That means that the load is constantly changing, so the self-leveling rear shocks are a huge plus.

Around here, it's harder to get a decent discount on the Honda. For the price difference OTD, I built out my X4 SE exactly how I wanted it for less than the price of the Pioneer stock, which made the X4 that much better. Someday I can add Walker Evans shocks, upgraded ECU and sheave kit, and still be about to the same price.

I think you can't go wrong either way, just need to pick the one that suits your needs better.

I liked the Honda quite a bit, might have chosen it if the rear seats were better. It's probably better flat out in the desert and if you need a tilt bed then it's a no brainer. But for my usage, the Yamaha is just a better machine all around.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AirKuhl View Post
    Looks like I'm 6 months late to this party but I narrowed it down to these 2 and figure that someone might someday find my reasoning helpful.

I'm a motorcycle guy so for me it had to be either the Honda or Yamaha. I trust Honda and Yamaha equally for reliability. A lot of my favorite trails don't have cell reception and I'm not a mechanic. I can fix and change tires and solve basic electrical and fueling issues but that's pretty much it, so getting stranded with kids is not an option.

Where I live, there is a max wheelbase limitation to make it street legal, that leaves the Honda and Yamaha as the Polaris General is too long.

A lot of the trails around me are narrow with sharp turns. In the X4 I can get up trails that usually are only wide enough for ATV's. The Honda 4" extra width could be a problem, or at least it would get scratched up a lot worse.

Also, I prefer the front seats of the X4 too, they keep you in place better than the bench seat of the Pioneer. Not sure how I could use that Pioneer center front seat. Don't want an adult pressed up that hard against me (unless she's super hot). Maybe if you have 3 kids older than car seat age but under 12?

I carry 4 people almost every time out. Rear seat comfort for adults matters. The Pioneer just doesn't cut it past maybe 30 minutes, if that. The X4 rear seats are actually more comfy than the front, because they are the same seats but lean back a touch more.

If 2 of those 4 people are my wife and daughter, they have an upper limit. This means that they get out if I'm wanting to get crazy. They also are done after a pretty short ride. My son and I on the other hand can go try to kill ourselves all day. That means that the load is constantly changing, so the self-leveling rear shocks are a huge plus.

Around here, it's harder to get a decent discount on the Honda. For the price difference OTD, I built out my X4 SE exactly how I wanted it for less than the price of the Pioneer stock, which made the X4 that much better. Someday I can add Walker Evans shocks, upgraded ECU and sheave kit, and still be about to the same price.

I think you can't go wrong either way, just need to pick the one that suits your needs better.

I liked the Honda quite a bit, might have chosen it if the rear seats were better. It's probably better flat out in the desert and if you need a tilt bed then it's a no brainer. But for my usage, the Yamaha is just a better machine all around.
    Super hot chicks prefer the Wolverine over the Pioneer 2-1.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Budro2, atkbike, AirKuhl and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    388 times
    I second that!!!
    Budro2 likes this.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    STI HD7 Wheels In Radiant Red
    Gladiator ATR 28X10R14 Tires
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield
    OEM Rear Bumper With Reverse Lights Mod
    Seizmik Strike Mirrors With Red Inserts

Super ATV Tinted Rear Window

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    At least the hot chicks don't laugh at my X2 like they did my Pioneer 500. Tonight my girlfriend said it was hard to believe how much better this one rode than the Honda.

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I couldn't drive the Pioneer 1000-5 because there was a stop sale on them in my AO, some corrosion issue with the throttle that may have caused it to stick in the open position. The main reason was because the rear seats were not very impressive. Also the reviews favored the Wolverine X4.
    MassiveOverkill and Budro2 like this.
    2019 Wolverine X4 SE in Tactical Black
    Hard sun top
    Glass windshield with wiper
    Glass rear window

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links