Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

New x4 xtr, some dealer charge questions

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dmit 
#1 ·
So I had to go to a dealer I was unfamiliar with to find an x4 in stock.

Full sticker price plus 299.99 setup, 75.00 documentation fees, and 10 tire disposal.

There are no docs as you can’t register it in NY, and I’m not getting rid of any tires.

Not sure what setup is involved as it’s coming stock.

Never had these fees with my regular dealer, just checking to see if it’s normal.

No discount whatsoever, straight sticker plus above.

#2 ·
I would find another dealer. The dealer i bought my X2 from was the highest I found in two states, until he called me one night to ask if I was still interested and I told him I was going to drive an hour and save over $2,000 and he matched it. Then he tried to charge me $1,000 for the YES program and I went some where else and bought it for under $500. I get all my maintenance some where else.

#4 ·
Chances are the service department at the local dealership that is overcharging you sucks so why not drive.

I don’t trust anyone to do maintenance an my machine but me. The YES warranty is eBay for less than 600 it’s posted here.

#5 ·
Found a place locally that was advertising a white 2020 x4 for 13449 after rebates. When I asked for OTD price, it jumped to roughly 17,400 including sales tax and registration. When asked for cost breakdown, they said Yamaha charges 795 to ship it here from their factory and it costs us 1365 in overhead to prep it, set it up, gas, battery, etc. in addition, you’re factoring in sales tax at 7.75% as well as roughly 250 to register it. Didn't seem much of a deal.

#7 ·
I drove 3 1/2 hours to get mine. My girlfriend actually found it online and I had to call to believe the price. It was almost 3 grand less than what dealers around me were asking. Port Yamaha in Port Washington, WI. Great people to work with.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I bit the bullet because I wanted it now. Paid full retail +$299 dealer prep.

They are going to install front and rear A-arm guards, the full HDPE skid plate, aluminum front bash plate, front and rear brush protectors/bumpers, and the rock sliders. Paid retail for the parts, Dealer installation included. The front number requires remounting the witch which they initially balked at, but finally agreed to.

All parts to go on at the first service, hopefully next week.

#9 ·
Why are you paying for skid plates. the XTR comes with those already installed.

"Full Underbody Skid Plates
Skid plates protect the entire underbody of the Wolverine XT-R, from the front differential to the rear gear case, to ensure gnarly terrain doesn’t stop you. The skid plates also include convenient service points to access fluid drain locations without removing the guards."

Reactions: Gottawolforgator
#11 · (Edited)
The metal skids will take a lot of abuse but if you into serious trail riding and rocks (boulders) the plastics help a lot. They'll help keep the factory metal from getting all scratched up and dented. The plastics don't dent but I'm not giving them enough credit buy calling them plastic. They also has some extra cushion around critical parts like the the bottom of the engine and diffs. They also allow you to slid right over boulders. I've been hung up and some big rocks and the carnage scrapping the metal over them was not good. With UHMW or HDPE, its like there is a layer of ice between your undercarriage and rocks. They are not needed by everyone but if your into serious off roading, I highly recommend them.

#10 · (Edited)
The aluminum skid plates are pretty solid. They sell an HPDE set that goes over the top. It’s recommended with the rock sliders if your going to be banging the underside with rocks and scraping over things. The aluminum one is supposed is good deforms when scraped and creases when forced to rest on debris.

Allegedly the HPDE spreads the load/impact much better. I was told the aluminum stock one can dent/deform enough to push against mechanical items under the engine

Dealer has one where the guy hit a cinder block hidden in tall grass in a field. Ripped a hole in the aluminum. Also deformed it enough that it cut some hose, and did something to the transmission. FWIW.

#13 ·
UHMW is awsome for skids. It's used to line the inside of dump trailers. Its as slippery as Teflon and something 10 time more resistant to abrasion than steel. In it's fiber form it's what synthetic winch rope is made of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.