Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Fox Shocks

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  wolvymanx4 
#1 ·
I'm trying to smooth out my ride on my 4 seater Wolverine. A lot of the trails in Utah are very rocky. Last Wednesday I went for the day up by Strawberry reservoir by Daniels summit. The trail was incredible rocky. Any of you have experience with adding fox shocks to your Wolverine? Were you pleased with the addition? Any input on how to smooth out your ride is welcomed.

Thanks,

Rick

#2 ·
What tire pressure you running? I find anything over 8 psi doesn’t absorb rocks very well. It does depend on the tire though. On my gen 1 with the basic shocks, I just reduced the preload. On my 2020 kyb reservoir shocks, I soften the slow dampening setting.

#3 ·
I have no experience with Fox shocks, and found the stock settings of the KYB shocks on my 2020 X2 quite harsh. After reducing the compression damping and lowering the air pressure in the tires to 12psi (15psi stock) I was satisfied with the reduction in harshness.

Reactions: TimBo
#4 ·
They're stock on mine and seem to work as intended with a lot of adjustment. However, I do run my spring tight, more lift and minimize bottoming. This doesn't add too a smooth situation I gather but its not too rough IMO very good on sensible trails. If I solftened the springs my A-arms would be dead level or pitched upward. Thats no good, travel would be less. I had considered a spring spacer insert but I am not sure I can get them into the coils to see. They cheap enough if I can't use them.

#5 · (Edited)
Running the shock fully extended will cause a rough ride too. Granted you loose ground clearance but the travel decrease isn't real as if you are running full preload and shock fully extended your not going to be using full travel either. The suspension must be able to drop out and follow the terrain or the ride will be upset the whole time.

You want the suspension partially collapsed so the machine can float Up and Down within the travel range in both directions. Almost flat A arms and axles is about what you want while at rest.

The shocks run topped out is horrible for the shock itself constantly trying to pull it apart.

If the ground clearance is what you can't lose I guess a lift bracket and take some preload out so shock/suspension can work in both directions. But those are a evil too as many aren't a great design and cause problems.

#6 ·
Ah they're not fully extended. No matter how much it seems to squat lower after compress. I can put a jack on and see it go way way up. LOL A real V pitch.

Whoever makes these springs the steel is very poor for a spring steel application. Too bad there aren't swapable coils for these with better characteristic. Less than the cost of a machine!!! A few extortion sellers I'd seen wanting a fortune

#7 · (Edited)
I run mine; preload all the way up f/r, high and low speed 1 click off max soft, rebound 4-6 clicks from full soft, and I do run my tires typically up around 20psi with swaybars connected, unless I know we'll be on a "slow off-road" ride. Then I'll lower to 12psi and no swaybars.

I adjust according to how we plan to ride. Imo there is no "one setting" for everything.

#8 ·
What year is your X4? The 2020 XT-R is the only stock X4 With adjustable shocks. And that I believe that is only in the front. So if its an 18, 19, or non XT-R 20 air pressure is the only way to help. I'm in Utah as well and felt the same about the rough Rocky Mountain ride out here. Dropped the psi to 11 on my stock tires and it was much better. I only run 9-10 now with my 28's. Does fox make shocks yet for the X4? Last I knew the only ones out there were the Walker Evans and the Bandits. You'll get her dialed in.....

Reactions: Paul65
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.