Winter is Coming! (Plow/Winch)
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Winter is Coming! (Plow/Winch) within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I know it's hot and the middle of summer, but it's past the summer solstice so... I'm looking for a snow plow. I have a ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Winter is Coming! (Plow/Winch)

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

I know it's hot and the middle of summer, but it's past the summer solstice so...

I'm looking for a snow plow. I have a ~100 yard long gravel driveway uphill from the road. I live in eastern Iowa, so usually under a foot of snow at a time, but the occasional bigger storm does come through.

I want something that is strong/durable/sturdy and quick/easy to put on and off. Being able to leave the mount on all year without major drawbacks is a bonus. And as always, cost is a factor, but I don't mind paying a bit more for better quality or ease of use.

I don't have a winch yet.

I was thinking the KFI winch mount and open to suggestions for the plow and winch. I have read through the winch and plow posts, but seems winch recommendations are all over the place.

I just moved from the beach in NC, so any tips for plowing in general are also welcome. I've only done it a few times on my father-in-laws polaris sportsman, and he has a short paved driveway.

Thanks guys,
    Brian

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I have a Kolpin High Rise plow that works pretty well. It is supposed to be quick on and off but can be a bit finicky about lining up all the pieces. It is a very strong system and the chassis mount remains on the X2 year 'round - it does intrude on ground clearance a bit but hasn't been a problem. The stock blade skids are a joke, but Kolpin makes heavy-duty replacements at a reasonable cost. If you are satisfied with manual blade angle adjustment the Kolpin is fine. But, if you want to be able to adjust the angle from the cab look elsewhere. Kolpin's system, which I bought, is a POS. It didn't last one season. The principle behind it is fine, a worm screw powered by an electric motor. But the motor is so weak that a bit of grit in the blade pivot would jam the whole system. A system with a hydraulic ram would be preferable for the added power. Too bad, otherwise Kolpin's system is first-rate.
    L3rian likes this.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Dragonfire "D" Steering Wheel, Assault Hub Adapter
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Energy Suspension greaseable rear Swaybar Bushings
    Super ATV 1.5" spacers, winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I just checked that out. The high-rise feature looks pretty nice. Basically doubles the height you can raise the blade. I didn't see an option for the X2. Or even any 2019 yamaha models for that matter. Did you order the one for the '18 X4?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    STOP and HOLD ON NOW!!!

We barely have a month of summer here, barely and nights already down to 15 or 16C. A delayed winter is a must have now unless you're in Alaska.
    wolvymanx4 likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    The system I ordered came with a defective weld nut on one of the fittings. When I called to get a replacement the parts guy thought I was nuts because he didn't have a number for that piece and told me that they did not have a system for the X2. So I read him the cover of the installation manual that very clearly identified the X2. He finally found the piece I needed. After the installation, I emailed Kolpin to let them know that their instructions were incorrect in a couple of places. I never heard back but your post now makes me think that what I got was a very early pre-production unit that was not quite ready for prime time. Back to my original opinion of the High Rise system, though, it is a strong, robust set up that allows the blade to be carried well clear of obstacles when you need to - you don't have to raise it that high in normal operations. With the exception of the power angle unit, I would install the same system if I had it to do over again.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Dragonfire "D" Steering Wheel, Assault Hub Adapter
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Energy Suspension greaseable rear Swaybar Bushings
    Super ATV 1.5" spacers, winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have the 66" kfi plow,although I don't have it mounted yet. I will say the build quality seems to be very good for the $.
    With the type of mounting plate used it should be pretty easy on & off. The plow mounting plate mounts to the KFI winch mounting plate, so if you already have a different winch, that could be an issue. It did come with the required kfi plow mounting plate along with the plow mounting plate. Not something I needed as I already had their winch.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    537 times
    Damn, I hope not. Im just getting past some snow drifts from last winter. Don't jinx us now.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    STI HD7 Wheels In Radiant Red
    GBC Kanati Mongrel 28X10R14 Tires
    1.5" Wheel Spacers In The Rear
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield
    OEM Rear Bumper With Reverse Lights Mod
    Seizmik Strike Mirrors With Red Inserts
    Super ATV Tinted Rear Window
    UTV Tek Sun Visors

Moon Shiner
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I have a moose 6 ft plow with the additional pulley for added lift height. I have not used it. It does come off easily and the mounting bracket is not in the way. The angle is changed manually.
    4JWV likes this.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    I am really ticked of this summer. I have 2012 Highlander under toyota Warranty. The AC quit and dealer says I need a new compressor and other parts. However they cannot get parts from Toyota anywhere I am told, none show and no ETA for them to arrive. They said their manufacture may have to manufacture them and ship. Its 5 weeks now i am waiting for the parts and no word from them getting it. I called a few times and nothing changed. Toyota customer service is no help in Canada either as its 2 weeks since I notified them. So much for a reputable brand. Its NOT if they cannot get parts when they need them for their customers. Last Toyota for me and family.

A least is cool riding in this open air wolverine. I was up to Kaladar Ontario yesterday. Not a bad ride and dodge a huge thunder storm. Apparent on the way back I found huge puddles and trail fooding on the way back near where I started north of Belleville.
    Last edited by Tripplec; 07-29-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    I have the same RM4 Moose plow system on the 2019 X2, had to modify the mount a bit. I think they used the original Wolverines mount. The pull system does not work so well on the 2019 since the bumper is some what lower to mount the winch hook to.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links