Winch suggestions for x4 - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Winch suggestions for x4

This is a discussion on Winch suggestions for x4 within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I hope the posts about enlight those who merely just on an go expecting the 4x4 to got anything forever. Snowmobile can get stuck, a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Winch suggestions for x4

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    I hope the posts about enlight those who merely just on an go expecting the 4x4 to got anything forever. Snowmobile can get stuck, a lot, SxS aren't any different especially off and established trail for casual riding. Thats when the driver need to know what to do and how things work. Hopefully the fact that the electrical limitations hits home to those who might believe they can winch themselves home, tree by tree by tree until they get there. LOL

How much heat or duty cycle the winch can take. I would expect doing at least a 10ft pull in one run would not exceed the spec's otherwise its a poor winch.
    338weatherby likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    I hope the posts about enlight those who merely just on an go expecting the 4x4 to got anything forever. Snowmobile can get stuck, a lot, SxS aren't any different especially off and established trail for casual riding. Thats when the driver need to know what to do and how things work. Hopefully the fact that the electrical limitations hits home to those who might believe they can winch themselves home, tree by tree by tree until they get there. LOL

How much heat or duty cycle the winch can take. I would expect doing at least a 10ft pull in one run would not exceed the spec's otherwise its a poor winch.
    I agree. Good points. I will add that there are almost as many winches as there are axxholes. There are bigger differences between some, and not so much between others. I've had Warn, Superwinch, Gorilla, and Vipers in the past. All worked when needed. Some didn't last. The Warn VRX 4500 I'm running now worked great when I needed it a few weekends ago. I would say I had to be close to the duty cycle and it never missed a beat. The engage/disengagement worked great as well. I also didn't pay top price for it. It was $350 with synthetic rope. I wouldn't have paid more for the name.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE Matte/Orange
    OEM glass windshield
    OEM rear glass
    OEM front/rear A arm guards
    OEM front bash plate
    OEM front brush guard
    4500lb Warn VRX
    EMP side mirrors
    28"x 10" x 14" Carnivores w/ MSA M39 wheels with 1-1/2" spacers in rear
    2” Super ATV lift
    HMF Titan slip on exhaust
    Weller ECU reflash
    Hunterworks sheave w/18gr weights

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    I have the "Yamaha Warn Provantage 3500" winch. It was pre installed on the SxS. I would not have paid the listing price. I have to believe and/or hope its a top duty quality model. Otherwise Yamaha is putting their name on crap!!!

Anyone with experience on this specific model. Kinda curious now...
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    650 times
    I'll also add, Dont buy junk straps. You don't need to spend alot, but at least get some thing with brand name. We broke a guys cheap amazon $12 2" strap and a cheap 3" treesaver last weekend. He thought he didn't need to get something good because it's only a 1500lbs SXS and they were rated for 20,000 and 30,000lbs. Turns out my 1" 10k rugged ridge strap was stronger. It only cost $7 more.

And no straps with metal hooks. They are about the most dangerous you will find in the woods.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 06-18-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Tripplec and jimclemjr like this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
    Attachment 76154

Here is whats in the box along with the plate.
    Thanks for posting the mount wiring pic
    2019 Wolverine X4 SE in Tactical Black
    Hard sun top
    Ryco turn signal horn kit
    Full Cab
    Heater
    Light Bar
    Spare Tire Carrier
    Stereo & Subwoofer
    Deluxe headliner
    Rock Sliders
    3500 Winch

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drom5 View Post
    So I have heard of the Canadians having problems with the Warn Provantages because crud gets into the planetaries and the spools are breaking. They recommended Superwinches instead. So what mount did you go with to make it all work?

I went with the KFI mount. Works great. Just used it twice Saturday to get through some deep snow.
    2018 X4 Camo with roof. LED dome lights, Reverse lights, Superwinch Terra 45, Midland micro mobile MXT115, Weller reflash, HMF exhaust

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    510 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraoffroad View Post
    I'll also add, Dont buy junk straps. You don't need to spend alot, but at least get some thing with brand name. We broke a guys cheap amazon $12 2" strap and a cheap 3" treesaver last weekend. He thought he didn't need to get something good because it's only a 1500lbs SXS and they were rated for 20,000 and 30,000lbs. Turns out my 1" 10k rugged ridge strap was stronger. It only cost $7 more.

And no straps with metal hooks. They are about the most dangerous you will find in the woods.
    Can you offer some thoughts or experience on the 'metal hooks' comment? P&TY
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    I know that I didn't make that comment, but I feel a bit the same. In my opinion, I don't think that those hooks actually fit anything properly. I feel like the loop is a much more positive connection and less prone to give a false sense of connection.
    Budro2, 338weatherby and atkbike like this.
    2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Matte Silver)
    -JBS Sheave and Springs, Weller ECM Flash, 14" ITP Hurricane Wheels/28"Terrabites, Lots of OEM Accessories...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    Loops, snatchblocks, and clevis hooks, period exclamation point
    Last edited by Budro2; 06-26-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Rigging 101
    2016 Rspec EPS, full Yamaha folding windshield, Prefix 2 in lift,TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors , 20 in roof mount light bar, 2 pillar mount cube lights

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links