My 2019 is plenty fast - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

My 2019 is plenty fast

This is a discussion on My 2019 is plenty fast within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Mine only has 4.5 hours and not many miles on, still treating it nice but wanting to get it on it more and see what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: My 2019 is plenty fast

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mine only has 4.5 hours and not many miles on, still treating it nice but wanting to get it on it more and see what it will do. I think it is an awesome ride but I am coming from a Pioneer 500, there is just no comparison between those two machines
    Ken Scurry likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog_037 View Post
    While working on my build of the x2 I've topped out at 47 mph but that's just going around the block at home so to me having a higher top speed compared to the Rhino is going to be fun as we not only ride trails but also a lot of back country roads at the lake.
    The group I ride with all have Rangers and Rzr's and with the Rhino topping out at 38 mph I was always "catching"up to them, wont happen anymore with the x2.
    Btw I was either winching them out of a mud hole or towing one back to camp on a routine basis with the Rhino and expect to continue doing the same with the x2!
    Lol, classic!
    wolvymanx4, Skwirl and Ken Scurry like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog_037 View Post
    While working on my build of the x2 I've topped out at 47 mph but that's just going around the block at home so to me having a higher top speed compared to the Rhino is going to be fun as we not only ride trails but also a lot of back country roads at the lake.
    The group I ride with all have Rangers and Rzr's and with the Rhino topping out at 38 mph I was always "catching"up to them, wont happen anymore with the x2.
    Btw I was either winching them out of a mud hole or towing one back to camp on a routine basis with the Rhino and expect to continue doing the same with the x2!
    Thats great, I love to hear that. I agree as well. My X4 is plenty fast. I've seen 51 on my dash many times and thats with 28's so I know it's doing a little more than that. On the street with the DOT approved radials it feels fantastic but going that speed on the dirt gets scetchy. LOL. I try to keep it around 45 max most of the time on a long straight in the dirt. We ride right from our houses most of the time out here and have long straights to get to trail heads so the foots to the floor til I get there and then its cruisin time. Oh ya and my Rhino pulled its share as well and always made it home on its own. YAMAHA ROCKS!!!!
    Skwirl and Ken Scurry like this.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    STI HD7 Wheels In Radiant Red
    Gladiator ATR 28X10R14 Tires
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield
    OEM Rear Bumper With Reverse Lights Mod
    Seizmik Strike Mirrors With Red Inserts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    My X4 is my daily driver and I don't trailer because I don't have to as South Dakota is a very friendly OHV state. To get to the more remote trail heads I have to get on the highway (not interstate) and keeping up with traffic is important so 65 MPH is my goal and I've achieved that. I would have never gotten into off roading\SxS had I had to choose between a toy and a daily driver. Luckily, living in a small town I don't have to. We have 1 car and my SxS. Having to buy a $35K or higher truck and larger trailer just isn't in the budget.

Trail riding I'm usually under 20 MPH and forest service roads I'm usually under 40. It's only the highway that I need to go fast. Figure I can get a new SxS every 4 years at $16K or so and it's not a bad deal.
    wolvymanx4, MORSNO and Ken Scurry like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/671163569748779/

Silver Bullet
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    My X4 is my daily driver and I don't trailer because I don't have to as South Dakota is a very friendly OHV state. To get to the more remote trail heads I have to get on the highway (not interstate) and keeping up with traffic is important so 65 MPH is my goal and I've achieved that. I would have never gotten into off roading\SxS had I had to choose between a toy and a daily driver. Luckily, living in a small town I don't have to. We have 1 car and my SxS. Having to buy a $35K or higher truck and larger trailer just isn't in the budget.

Trail riding I'm usually under 20 MPH and forest service roads I'm usually under 40. It's only the highway that I need to go fast. Figure I can get a new SxS every 4 years at $16K or so and it's not a bad deal.
    Well going anywhere near 65mph is too fast for these even on pavement. They not built like cars/suv's for stability. I certainly have enough high speed noises I am told due to all the parts not 100% messed or CVT design. Here I maybe able to drive on pavement on certain highway single lane roads but I focus being off on the shoulder as much as possible. Especially if there vehicles approaching from behind.

I have tried with my ATV and even a 90km/hr on pavement is too fast for the irregularities of the rural roads. It clearly evident even taking a shallow turn this its not remotely like any true road vehicle. Its so easy to spill and flip if it gets out of control on any turn. The much wider Wolverine maybe better. But how far are you comfortable pushing it and for how long at that speed/ Then throw in that other vehicles are behind or passing etc at this high speed. You have to know it will end up bad!

I doesn't matter how fast you're going, at the speed limit etc. There are always a group wanting to pass you and enough will cut you off as well. Where allowed I use the shoulder unless knowone is on the pavement in narrow shoulder areas with irregular driveway entrances and mail boxes too close for comfort passing them.
    Ken Scurry likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    Well going anywhere near 65mph is too fast for these even on pavement. They not built like cars/suv's for stability. I certainly have enough high speed noises I am told due to all the parts not 100% messed or CVT design. Here I maybe able to drive on pavement on certain highway single lane roads but I focus being off on the shoulder as much as possible. Especially if there vehicles approaching from behind.

I have tried with my ATV and even a 90km/hr on pavement is too fast for the irregularities of the rural roads. It clearly evident even taking a shallow turn this its not remotely like any true road vehicle. Its so easy to spill and flip if it gets out of control on any turn. The much wider Wolverine maybe better. But how far are you comfortable pushing it and for how long at that speed/ Then throw in that other vehicles are behind or passing etc at this high speed. You have to know it will end up bad!

I doesn't matter how fast you're going, at the speed limit etc. There are always a group wanting to pass you and enough will cut you off as well. Where allowed I use the shoulder unless knowone is on the pavement in narrow shoulder areas with irregular driveway entrances and mail boxes too close for comfort passing them.
    I actually cruise at 55 MPH when no traffic is immediately around me, I would not do 65 MPH the whole time and would primarily do that if I'm holding up traffic to where I could safely turn off or pull over or reach a passing zone. Stock width is 59" wide. With my 9" wide tires up front, it brings it up to ~62", which feels more stable than stock. If I did 1" spacers like everyone else to bring my rear tires out to 62" as well it would be even more stable. The plastic skids and rock sliders lowered my center of gravity as well. It's not like I'm going to do 65 or even 55 MPH around a bend or in rainy conditions (I'd pull over and wait for the storm to pass or take the back roads). Both my anti sway bars are installed and I'm sure guys who are 64" wide have much better stability (I'm happy being 62" compliant).

You are preaching to the choir. I don't feel safe going beyond 60 MPH and it would have to be a straightaway with no crosswinds. Having that extra power to occasionally go 65 is nice. Also keep in mind that if I can do 65 from clutching, doing 55 brings my RPMs much lower with a machined sheave than if I had a stock one.
    Ken Scurry likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/671163569748779/

Silver Bullet
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Good to hear you're ok at that speed. I currently haven't pushed it that far or very long.

Drive Safe!!
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Silver Bullet
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    UNEVENTFULL RIDE WE TOAST TO (My Son & I)

We've been snowmobiling together for near enough 15 years, and myself around 40. On our outing down snowmobile trails which are filled with maple and pine trees or when deemed safe by our testing standard, lake crossings to contend with. Breaking down is not as key as making it back. Once we return directly and/or after having trailered back the rest of the way to our home.

We break open a beer and clank the bottles together, toasting the "Uneventful Ride". Any ride we spent the day out one and returned without an incident is deemed very good and worthy one. We had a good time even if the weather wasn't which is important.

Not so long on an ATV ride we bothgot caught in a massive thunderstorm where the clouds turn black coming over, not dark but black. We tried out outun it but no way. Daytime turned to night and we need full lighting on and the rain coming down filled our boots full of water running down our legs on our hurried treak back down the trail. We were dodging puddles on the way up the trail but back down we just drove through it all. There wasn't anywhere else to go and the trail became a stream in places. Yeah we got back and despite the somewhat scary ride and being so soaked we did enjoy being out. We toasted the safe return home after drying, showering to warm up.

We drive to the conditions and our abilities as best we can. Returning with both of us intact along with the machines we're out on is the most important part of getting out on the trails. No matter what you're driving and who you're with. I have had my share of close calls for various reasons over the decades.

Being retired and been there and done that so to speak. THE UNEVENTFUL RIDE is what everyone I expect is looking to achieve whether you know it or not at this time. Summer will hopefully dry things up for us all and we'll be seeing others on the trails, smiling as we pass and wave. The SxS offers us more protection and stability that the ATV (still have one 750 Kingquad) which is one reason I got it.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Tripplec.. you mentioned snowmobiling. I don’t get on them very often but rode one for a week on a hunting trip. Being in a couple feet of snow is a workout and trying to turn them around in deep snow takes a ton of effort from a couple of guys to turn that thing around.
    2019 Camo X2 with a bunch of junk I probably don’t need!

Silver Bullet
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Scurry View Post
    Tripplec.. you mentioned snowmobiling. I don’t get on them very often but rode one for a week on a hunting trip. Being in a couple feet of snow is a workout and trying to turn them around in deep snow takes a ton of effort from a couple of guys to turn that thing around.
    Yeah, if you have good track lugs shall we say they'll push better. But in deep power you need to be moving to plow through or float over. Contrary to some people ideas. they don't go through everything or over anything. When you're stuck moving the front around is what you want to do and align the back little by little. For what you did you'd need a sled ahead to break the trail you then follow. That need to be one that is well adapted to the task though. Long track sleds are best as is other aspects. It is more complex than many realize. For example i have access through a farm road to a trail. It can have 5-7ft drifts on it and odds are most sleds would get stuck. When that happens the sled is 3-4ft in the snow and you step off and you are almost to your needs and need the get it turned around to go back since forward is impossible. I personally have spent 3-5hrs getting out at least twice from them. What you see on pictures and video's is mostly on groomed and packed trails. Not fresh powder only mountain sled handle the powder adequately but are special build entirely and not viable for trail riding.

LOL Enjoy
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links