Is this X2 Actually a better SxS than it predicessor?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Is this X2 Actually a better SxS than it predicessor? within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I am seeing a fairly high number of people bringing up various issues which all appear to revolve around the bigger twin engine. The Gen ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Is this X2 Actually a better SxS than it predicessor?

Speed Demon
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times

I am seeing a fairly high number of people bringing up various issues which all appear to revolve around the bigger twin engine.

The Gen 1 708cc has been around the bushes a few times and most know what to expect. The great majority agree its quire reliable apart from a few components.

I saw an X2 at the dealer when I went in looking for shock adjusting tool for my springs. What they had was way too small. But the cameo machine had the SE type shocks but did not have the other SE addons. I don't know what model it was.

Its nice to have more HP and quieter running which are plus's for the x2. But issue are not what many want to buy into. Power at cold (after a few minutes of running since I let it warm up in the winter before going out) isn't a problem. It starts very quickly as well. I know from older threads the x2 inherited a modified motorcycle yamaha engine fitted for this purpose. I guess the summer HD running will say more on this new build.
    Last edited by Tripplec; 03-21-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    I am seeing a fairly high number of people bringing up various issues which all appear to revolve around the bigger twin engine.

The Gen 1 708cc has been around the bushes a few times and most know what to expect. The great majority agree its quire reliable apart from a few components.

I saw an X2 at the dealer when I went in looking for shock adjusting tool for my springs. What they had was way too small. But the cameo machine had the SE type shocks but did not have the other SE addons. I don't know what model it was.

Its nice to have more HP and quieter running which are plus's for the x2. But issue are not what many want to buy into. Power at cold (after a few minutes of running since I let it warm up in the winter before going out) isn't a problem. It starts very quickly as well. I know from older threads the x2 inherited a modified motorcycle yamaha engine fitted for this purpose. I guess the summer HD running will say more on this new build.
    What issues are you speaking of?

Those older threads were all crystal ball predictions. This is a brand new engine from the ground up. It may have inherited Yamaha design but to go so far as to say 'retrofitted', I don't know if there's evidence to support that.

No need to wait until summer. Plenty of X4's out on the road for over a year using the exact same engine.

Last edited by MassiveOverkill; 03-21-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    blast likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Like Massive said, the X4's have been out there for quite a while and if there were any obvious short term problems they would be showing up and I haven't seen any.
    So far they look like really good vehicles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    At one time I tried to count the improvements or additional nice features that were added to the X2 over the Gen 1 and I came up with close to 20 items. I was trying to convince myself I needed an X2, LOL, but just couldn't stand the thought of how many hours I had spent making my Gen 1 just like I wanted it with all of my 30 plus additions I have made to it and I am not ready to do it all over again.

With any new engine there will always be surprises/problems that have to be worked out and those initial problems always get a lot emphasis because something we pay so much money for we expect it to be perfect and that just isn't the case ever. With the Gen 1 the few problem machines that have had oil consumption issues, engines running hot from minimally sized coolant systems/radiator, and a few failed water-pumps really stick out in everyone's mind and then with the X2/X4 the accessory heaters not getting hot is a biggie for the severe cold climate guys (but this has such a simple solution for 4 months out of the year) it is almost a no brainer. You can't really say the X2/X4 coolant system is defective or badly engineered unless you also want to say that every 18-wheeler big truck that partially blocks their radiator in the winter is also defectively designed and we know this is not the case, just part of severe cold weather preparation. Besides the door kidney killer and a little less leg room I haven't really read of anyone that has had any significant problems with their x2/x4 machines, most problems appear to be more due to not following the Owner's Manual or just getting use to a different new machine. All in all the X2/X4s sound pretty trouble free.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 03-21-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Speed Demon
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Well they're probably one or two off incidence of an issue someone has posted about. Certainly not a trend by any means. EG heating issues, dirty valves, knock, power on startup, and some other posted. The only one seems by design is the power appears restricted until warmed up which is fine. It keeps some people from flooring it before the oil is ready to work properly with the systems.

Maybe I am reading too much....LOL Spring is here and I can get out when it warms up.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1066 times
    And we have a solution to killing the kidney killer:

https://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...y-project.html
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box

Speed Demon
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    I don't believe I have that on mine. Kidney's are fine also... still.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1066 times
    I don't believe I have that on mine. Kidney's are fine also... still.
    So are mine, watch the video (the second one). Kidneys may suffer for few days after you buy it, after that it's like riding a bike.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box

Speed Demon
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    So are mine, watch the video (the second one). Kidneys may suffer for few days after you buy it, after that it's like riding a bike.
    Ok, i am up against the side support when driving (catching a lot of crud from the rear tire. I am going to figure out how to close off those gaps at the corners to stop it from covering my jacket. Its a must do.

I haven't had a problem with the latch. Interesting as it appears it is more pronounce in the x2 than Gen 1. Not an improvement it appears.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1066 times

I am seeing a fairly high number of people bringing up various issues

Well they're probably one or two off incidence of an issue someone has posted about. Certainly not a trend by any means. EG heating issues, dirty valves, knock, power on startup, and some other posted. The only one seems by design is the power appears restricted until warmed up which is fine. It keeps some people from flooring it before the oil is ready to work properly with the systems.

Maybe I am reading too much....LOL Spring is here and I can get out when it warms up.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm betting most of the early 'issues' were posted by yours truly seeking other owners to verify if the issue was unique to myself or if it was a viable trend\issue to be concerned about.

The fact that you shouldn't be stomping the throttle to the RPM limiter on any cold engine is universal. Just because Yamaha chose to incorporate a feature on the X2\X4 to prevent one from doing this doesn't mean they advocate doing it on the Gen 1 or that the X2\X4 engine is somehow delicate. The engine actually has forged pistons and connecting rods, just a couple of the vast improvements over the 708cc engine.
    MORSNO and John like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives