First problem with 2019... The Tail Gate Won’t Open - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

First problem with 2019... The Tail Gate Won’t Open

This is a discussion on First problem with 2019... The Tail Gate Won’t Open within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I fixed mine. Real simple, remove the Allen head bolts, there is 4 in the middle that you can leave in. One you have it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First problem with 2019... The Tail Gate Won’t Open

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I fixed mine. Real simple, remove the Allen head bolts, there is 4 in the middle that you can leave in. One you have it apart you release the arms by popping the plastic tab on the end. To fix mine I took out all the slack in the arms by manually spreading the center mechanism and rotating the threaded arms until they fit snug. Then I lubed the center plastic slide and the end latches.
    I imagine this sounds real confusing. I guess I could actually do a how-to with photos.
    TimBo, chrisru and Paul65 like this.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I think mine is toast, looks like I'll need a new handle assembly.

The flat metal piece that actuates the mechanism bent, I don't see any way to salvage it. Looking at the design I'm surprised this isn't a more common issue. This looks like it will be the first piece to fail anytime the latch system binds up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    I was having a problem with my X4 tailgate falling open while riding. When I took it apart I was surprised to see the chintzy plastic handle mechanism. A thorough coating with silicone spray solved the problem, but I am very disappointed in this cheaply designed mechanism.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I haven't had an issue on my X2. (Yet). But I also took some fluid film and sprayed everything good and it operates very smoothly ever since I did that.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    My tailgate was stuck once, it looked like the bottom pivot point had worked its way out of the pocket it pivots on. I pushed the bottom of the tailgate in and it seemed ok. Also no sitting on the tailgate.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I was able to resolve my issue a few days ago. My local dealer was able to get me a replacement handle/latch assembly quickly. The part number is BG4-F389F-01-00. $37 and about a 10 minute DIY to swap out.

While I was in there I lubed everything up as suggested. I also adjusted out any free play in the rods and the tailgate seems better than new. I know now to take it easy on the handle.
    blast likes this.

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times

HMF and Weller Reflash

Quote Originally Posted by jrry261 View Post
    I fixed mine. Real simple, remove the Allen head bolts, there is 4 in the middle that you can leave in. One you have it apart you release the arms by popping the plastic tab on the end. To fix mine I took out all the slack in the arms by manually spreading the center mechanism and rotating the threaded arms until they fit snug. Then I lubed the center plastic slide and the end latches.
    I imagine this sounds real confusing. I guess I could actually do a how-to with photos.

That's all it took on mine also. Lubed everything and it works better now than it did the day I bought it.
    2018 X4 Camo with roof. LED dome lights, Reverse lights, Superwinch Terra 45, Midland micro mobile MXT115, Weller reflash, HMF exhaust

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chrisru View Post
    I think mine is toast, looks like I'll need a new handle assembly.

The flat metal piece that actuates the mechanism bent, I don't see any way to salvage it. Looking at the design I'm surprised this isn't a more common issue. This looks like it will be the first piece to fail anytime the latch system binds up.
    Hey chrisru, did you ever fix this problem? Mine is bent too. I lubed everything but with the bend I expect I'll need a replacement.

TIA

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey chrisru, did you ever fix this problem? Mine is bent too. I lubed everything but with the bend I expect I'll need a replacement.

TIA
    He later posted:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisru View Post
    I was able to resolve my issue a few days ago. My local dealer was able to get me a replacement handle/latch assembly quickly. The part number is BG4-F389F-01-00. $37 and about a 10 minute DIY to swap out.

While I was in there I lubed everything up as suggested. I also adjusted out any free play in the rods and the tailgate seems better than new. I know now to take it easy on the handle.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares & bumper. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation . Andy Mello Parking Brake Seizmik Vents & mirrors. SuperATV half shield in front and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S bluetooth sound system. Sway bars deleted. 27" GBC Dirt Commanders. 2" cage chop, Hunterworks w/ 20-g.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links