Startup Problems-HELP PLEASE!
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Startup Problems-HELP PLEASE! within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Hey everyone! I just recently bought my wolverine x4. I put on about 115 miles so far. Once in a when I start it up ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimbo
  • 1 Post By Piston Yamaha
  • 1 Post By Planetcat
  • 1 Post By k7iou1

Thread: Startup Problems-HELP PLEASE!

Member #
    Member #

Hey everyone! I just recently bought my wolverine x4. I put on about 115 miles so far. Once in a when I start it up it will idle on and off and turn off. When it turns off the EPS light comes on. It’s not doing this because it’s cold. I live in SWFL and it’s 85 degrees out and I keep the wolverine in my garage. It doesn’t do this all the time but from time to time it does.

Has anyone ever come across this issue and if so what do I do? I have extended warranty on the wolverine for 4 years but I just bought it so I’m hoping I can just fix it if is something minor.

There’s plenty of gas in my wolverine as well. Once I go for a drive I don’t have any issue again.

I would appreciate all the advice and help! Thanks so much!!
    2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE Limited Edition
    Super Atv Half Windshield
    Yamaha Hard Sun Top Roof
    Super ATV 3 Panel Rear View Mirror
    (2) Dragonfire Youth H-Style 2 inch Wide Harness w/ Memory Foam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    I would suspect bad gas on a new unit. Ethanol fuel sits, then water separates to the bottom, maybe some water in tank. More fuel might not matter as water may still be there on the bottom of the tank. I would drain and put fresh fuel in, and eliminate that first, or maybe the spark plugs are fouled. Lots of times the machines are started and not allowed to warm up while being moved back and forth at the dealer, and plugs get fouled, I'm sure others will chime in with other stuff to check.
    atkbike likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Alpine white

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    615 times
    think about what changes from "time to time". Gas. Fuel pressure if there is a bleed down leak until up and running. A bad wiring connection that affects ECU info signals. Just some of what comes immediately to mind...…. think if there are any other common denominators on when it happens.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Make sure you're giving your fuel pump time to build pressure before you try to start it. You can hear it buzzing for a few seconds when you turn the key on. I wait until the buzzing stops, then start it up. And it still stalls every once in a while, but that's because it is cold here.
    Planetcat likes this.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Alba Racing ECU, 27" Big Horn 2s, SuperATV Flip Windshield, Yamaha Soft Cab, Yamaha Cargo Box, Kolpin 3500# winch w/ synthetic rope, KFI winch mount, UPI Inferno Heater, JBL PRV-175 stereo, Polk 6.5 speakers, Garmin Drive 60 with VV Mapping. Lots of other little things.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    ^This. I think the fuel pump takes about 15 seconds to pressurize. It is worth the wait.
    Piston Yamaha likes this.
    2017 Yamaha Wolverine EPS w/26" Sedona RipSaws (Sold), 2020 X2 XT-R mostly stock for now.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    agreed. Mine died 3 times not waiting for the fuel pump. Once I waited for the fuel pump to fully prime the lines it never happened again.
    19’ Wolverine X2 R-Spec, White on Black (no stickers)
    • 32” Motohavok
    • 18” MSA SWITCH
    • Super ATV 4” Portals
    • HighLifter 3.5” Signature Series Lift
    • HMF Titan XL
    • Weller Reflash
    • Black Out Half Windshield
    • Homemade 4” Black Eye Brow
    • Terra 45 Winch (Homemade Plate)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I would suspect bad gas on a new unit. Ethanol fuel sits, then water separates to the bottom, maybe some water in tank. More fuel might not matter as water may still be there on the bottom of the tank. I would drain and put fresh fuel in, and eliminate that first, or maybe the spark plugs are fouled. Lots of times the machines are started and not allowed to warm up while being moved back and forth at the dealer, and plugs get fouled, I'm sure others will chime in with other stuff to check.
    Ethanol separates and starts turning in less than 2 weeks. I wouldn’t use automotive fuel in any Yamaha, lawnmower, chainsaw, backpack blower etc....
    Use Recreational fuel, here is a website where you can locate a pump nearby in Florida. If you’re in a different state or Canada you can select the different locations and cities.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL
    I can tell if the fuel is bad by the odor of the exhaust.
    Rec fuel will also cold start better too. I couldn’t believe the difference it made in the chainsaws.
    Good luck.
    jimclemjr likes this.
    2018 R-spec EPS

Sponsored Links