Tablet for GPS Nav - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Tablet for GPS Nav

This is a discussion on Tablet for GPS Nav within the Wolverine X2/X4 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Originally Posted by VTpoolman MotionX-GPS Maps | MotionX one of my rides. download as kmz Thanks for sharing, that is one heck of a ride! ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Tablet for GPS Nav

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VTpoolman View Post
    MotionX-GPS Maps | MotionX
    one of my rides. download as kmz
    Thanks for sharing, that is one heck of a ride! In case anyone is wondering, the kmz file I downloaded opened with Google Earth on my Windows 7 pc.

I'll try the app on my iPhone today!
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Today I purchased Back Country Navigator ($14.99 at the Playstore) and installed it on a Galaxy Tab A T320 8" tablet. If you going to add Bob T's maps to BCN, do yourself a favor and plug it into a PC to load the files. I'm not the most proficient guy when it comes to handheld devices (although I can usually fight my way thru) but for the life of me could not get the files moved to where they needed to be. It literally took about 30 seconds using Windows Explorer after more than an hour of swearing and frustration while attempting to do it on the tablet. You phone savvy guys might have no problem but I sure did.

I used pretty much the same Ram Mount components as Papaskeeta. They were left over from a fish finder I had on my pontoon boat. Of course I haven't had a chance to use BCN but it seems like it's stable without any quirky surprises. Now I just need some decent weather.

Mike
    Paul65 likes this.
    2019 X2 SE BC Blue
    28X10X12 Blackwater EVO's All Around
    OEM Folding Windshield
    OEM Cargo Box
    4500 lbs. Winch
    26" Chino Light-bar
    Siezmik Pusuit Mirrors
    HMF Rear Bumper
    Midland MXT115 GMRS Radio
    Samsung 8" Tab A with BCN Toppo Mapping

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    815 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    I need to set up Bob T’s maps on a tablet. This is an older thread, what’s a recommendation for a tablet?

Does the tablet GPS work without cellular or wifi?

Will this work: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Tab-8...967500&sr=8-17

Thanks in advance.
    Paul 65, The tablet you are referencing is the 2015 model, since then the Tab A 8" has been made in 2017 and 2019 models. The 2015 is what I am using but the 2017 and 2019 are improved. I don't think you can get an Otterbox Defender Series case for the 2015 model anymore. About 1 1/2 years ago I had all kinds of trouble finding one for a friend. Doubt any are available now. Sometimes the only way to tell the difference in the 3 different Tab A 8" Samsung Tablets is by the model number, the 2015 is Sm T350, the 2017 is Sm T380. I would make sure you can get the Otterbox Defender Case for the 2015, sm T350 before I went and ordered one. I am pretty sure that you can still get the Otterbox case for the 2017 model. The 2015 and 2017 and different dimensions and require different Otterbox cases. I would also be careful with used tablets that are RENEWED, this is not the same as factory refurbished where they are actually thoroughly gone through and tested by the factory. I have setup and recommended about 8 of the factory refurbished tablets bought from Walmart online. If buying from Walmart online you just need to make absolutely sure the add says SOLD and SHIPPED by Walmart and not some 3rd party vendor. This is very important if you have a problem with the tablet. None of the 8 individuals using the factory refurbished ones sold and shipped by Walmart have ever had any problems with them and we are all going on 3 years.

This is new tablet with a 1 year warranty, sold and shipped by Walmart. It is the 2017 Tab A 8", model T380, 2 Gb of Ram as compared to 1.5 Gb for the 2015, a faster processor - 1.4 Ghz vs 1.2, longer battery life - 5,000 mah vs 4,200 mah, better screen resolution, and a few other things just slightly improved.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-G...SAAEgKxzPD_BwE For the $28 more dollars definitely go with the 2017 instead of the 2015 model, but still make sure you can get an Otterbox Defender Series Case for it. This you will be very glad you did in the long run. Other cases are available but not near the quality. Mine get used in all kinds of weather - rain, snow, dust, etc. and never a problem with it.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 01-25-2020 at 09:20 PM.
    Jimbo likes this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs, CVT Blow Out Port
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x,
    60W Front Cubes Pillar Mounted, Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn,
    Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals, Street Legal/TN Tag, Midland MXT115 Radio,
    Custom Bed Overhead Storage Carrier

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Excellent info PapaSkeeta! Much appreciated. I have used the Defender cases on mine and the wife’s iPhones for years so I know how good they are. So your tablet is in the Defender case and you are using Ram mounts? What mounts?
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 650pilot View Post
    I looked at the Yamaha Adventure Pro. Too much money for what it does. What’s everybody using? How is the gps signal? Mounts etc?
    I've been using GPSes for 24 years now and the best thing I did for navigating in my 2016 Wolverine R-spec was switching to a Tablet.

I experimented with the tablet mounted on the Passenger Grab Bar (a little to far away for easy of use and got very dusty, had to keep it in a gallon zip lock bag), then used it on the dash to the right of the steering wheel for a very short time (still got very dusty and blocked view when looking right in front of the Wolverine at the ground), then mounted it overhead and this is by far the best place to mount a tablet in the 2016-2018 Wolverine, I suspect it would be the same in the 2019 X2.

Until you have tried using the tablet down at dash or grab bar level and then try it mounted up on the roll bar it is hard to convince someone how much more convenient it is overhead. You can tilt it so that the tablet does not block any of your view. The advantages of it being overhead right in front of you are that it stays clean and practically dust free, it won't get wet in rain/wet conditions, it is closer making it so much easier to see, and also being closer it is easier to operate. The only disadvantage is that your passenger can't do the navigating, but you can easily rotate the RAM cradle/mount for the passenger to see it, if needed. Sometimes the full Stereo enclosure that mounts in the roof can present problems for mounting things to your front cross-member of the roll cage. As you can see in my picture below, my overhead gun rack still works with the tablet mounted.

I like the 8" tablets, 7" are a little small (not any bigger than the latest model smartphones (Samsung Note S9 is 7" diagonally), 9" is a little to big for the close quarters. Most any Tablet now days has a dedicated GPS and does not need cell service to work. Very good tablets that can be used for GPS navigation can be bought for around $100, some of the factory refurbished models are great to use. Personally I like the Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 8" with the RAM Cradle and mounts, using a 1 1/2" Bull Bar Mount, mounted to the roll cage to mount the tablet. This 8" tablet can be bought for around $150.

You don't need any type of signal booster for the tablet and most of the GPS Navigation Apps are as accurate as automotive and hand held GPS for recreational use. You won't have Trimble GPS accuracy but then you don't need it or want that type of expense.

Attachment 71908Attachment 71906
    I went back and found this earlier post. Interesting mount, please elaborate.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    I bought this one, 2016 model.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Paul65; 01-26-2020 at 06:33 AM. Reason: More info

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    815 times
    Excellent info PapaSkeeta! Much appreciated. I have used the Defender cases on mine and the wife’s iPhones for years so I know how good they are. So your tablet is in the Defender case and you are using Ram mounts? What mounts?
    Starting at the roll cage, parts attached together in this order - eBay 1.5" bull bar mount with RAM 1" ball alum. diamond mount to a 3" RAM alum. extension arm to another RAM 1" ball alum. diamond mount mounted to the back of the tablets RAM cradle. Your tablet will require a different cradle. Later today , I can provide links to RAM parts, if wanted. In the RAM ball mounts and ext. arm be sure to use the alum. parts, not the plastic composite ones that are identical to the alum. ones.

Gpscity.com is a good source for RAM parts, usually about the best prices, free shipping over $25, ship very quickly, can call them on the phone with questions, can get any RAM parts.

Yes, tablet is in Otter box Defender Case all the time. I use the tablet a lot, even typing this reply with it, then it goes in the Wolvy for trail riding.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 01-26-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs, CVT Blow Out Port
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x,
    60W Front Cubes Pillar Mounted, Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn,
    Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals, Street Legal/TN Tag, Midland MXT115 Radio,
    Custom Bed Overhead Storage Carrier

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Thanks again PapaSkeeta! Here's what I ordered for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016 model). The prices are from the RAM website. GPScity.com, eBay, or Amazon is less.

RAM-231Z-2U
    RAM® ATV/UTV Rail Ball Base
    $24.49
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-231Z-2U
    Note: this is the one with the 1.5" ball, the "C" ball. When searching for this part you will mostly find the RAM-B-231Z-2U which is the 1" B ball.

RAM-103U
    RAM® Double Socket Arm with Round Ball Plate
    $36.49
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-103U

RAM-HOL-TABL20U
    RAM® Tab-Lock™ Holder for 9" Tablets with Heavy Duty Cases
    $74.49
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TABL20U

RAP-S-KNOB5U
    RAM® Pin-Lock™ Security Knob for C Size Socket Arms
    $10.99
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-S-KNOB5U

10.1" tablet total: $269
    I've got $117 in the tablet (lightning deal on Amazon), $30 in the base (eBay only one I could get in less than 7 days), $33 in the arm, $67 in the locking holder, $10 in the security knob (these three on Amazon), plus $12 in a knockoff case (eBay). I could not find an Otterbox Defender case for this older 2016 model, as you warned me.

Surprise surprise... another $300 spent, LOL
    Last edited by Paul65; 01-26-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added pricing

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Thanks again PapaSkeeta! Here's what I ordered for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016 model). The prices are from the RAM website. GPScity.com, eBay, or Amazon is less.

RAM-231Z-2U
    RAM® ATV/UTV Rail Ball Base
    $24.49
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-231Z-2U
    Note: this is the one with the 1.5" ball, the "C" ball. When searching for this part you will mostly find the RAM-B-231Z-2U which is the 1" B ball.

RAM-103U
    RAM® Double Socket Arm with Round Ball Plate
    $36.49
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-103U

RAM-HOL-TABL20U
    RAM® Tab-Lock™ Holder for 9" Tablets with Heavy Duty Cases
    $74.49
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TABL20U

RAP-S-KNOB5U
    RAM® Pin-Lock™ Security Knob for C Size Socket Arms
    $10.99
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-S-KNOB5U

10.1" tablet total: $269
    I've got $117 in the tablet (lightning deal on Amazon), $30 in the base (eBay only one I could get in less than 7 days), $33 in the arm, $67 in the locking holder, $10 in the security knob (these three on Amazon), plus $12 in a knockoff case (eBay). I could not find an Otterbox Defender case for this older 2016 model, as you warned me.

Surprise surprise... another $300 spent, LOL
    Same setup on 8" Tab A 2019. Ram mount on grab bar. Have yet to use it. Considering an Android backup camera to use on the same tablet.
    Paul65 likes this.
    '19 Wolverine X4 SE Blue
    Sedona Coyote 27"in
    OEM Folding Windshield
    OEM Soft Rear Window
    OEM Roof
    OEM Sliders
    OEM A-arm Guards
    Rear View Camera w/7" Monitor
    Kenwood TK-880-1 V2 GMRS Mobile 2-way, 8" 1/4-wave.
    EMP Side View Mirrors
    ThrottleMax
    Custom Roof/Kakak Rack
    Weller RotoPax 2 gal gas & water mounts
    Generic Rear Roof LED Pods. "Work lights"
    Generic Reverse LED Lights
    Generic 20" Front LED Bar
    Generic LED Dome, Side view "work lights", and Rock Lights
    Supplemental 12v Outlet and Dual USB Outlet on Dash
    Concours Wolverine Switch Panel
    Painless Wiring Relay/Fuse Box
    RIVAL Footwell Protectors
    Hornet Chainsaw Mount
    Custom Rear Bed Platform/Tire Rack.
    Power Up NNL-690G Diff Additive (http://powerupusa.net/index.php/prod...ducts/nnl-690g)
    Tagged for Nevada, Idaho, and Montana.

2007 Grizzly 450, 2009 Grizzly 550SE EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1097 times
    This is a GREAT thread. I need to get a tablet for my X2 by spring. I'm starting to research this same topic and don't have the time (or ability) to do as good a job as many of you that have posted.

Thank you to all who have shared their knowledge and experiences!!!
    Paul65 likes this.
    2016 R-Spec EPS, Folding Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn-3000
    Sedona-Storm 14", Rip-Saw Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    EMP-Front/Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV-2" Lift Kit
    19" LED Bar

2019 R-Spec X2, Folding Windshield, Cargo Box
    Warn-3500, 72” plow
    Interco Sniper 920's-28x10-14 on SB-3 Wheels
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    JBS-Firewall Shields
    Weller-ReFlash