Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ??
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ?? within the Audio, Lighting and Electrical forums, part of the General Discussions category; Anyone have any feedback on any of the portable hand sized battery jump starter/boosters. You guys with Electrical knowledge what would i bee looking for ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ??

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times

Anyone have any feedback on any of the portable hand sized battery jump starter/boosters.

You guys with Electrical knowledge what would i bee looking for as far as specs

Thanks
    Greg

Small update:

I found this on You tube and it had some real results .

Last edited by Greggo; 02-08-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    MORSNO and jimclemjr like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R Spec SE
    OEM Full Front Brush Guard
    OEM New Style- Fold Down Windshield
    OEM Spare Tire Rack
    OEM Yamaha Cargo Box
    PRP 4.2 Harnesses
    Seizmik Halo Rear View Mirror
    Factor 55 Rear Hitch Link 2.0
    WARN Axon 35-S with Rocker & Cable Remote/ Factor 55 UltraHook
    Midland MXT 115 GMRS Radio
    Sedona Sparx Wheels - Sedona Rips Saw - 27.9.14 F & 27.11.14 R

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    271 times
    I watch project farm all the time.
    Greggo likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2017 Hunterworks - AIS Block Off Plate
    2017 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plug
    2019 Yamaha - Windshield
    2019 Yamaha - Rear View Mirror
    2019 Yamaha - Roof
    2019 Emp - Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv - Rear Window.
    2019 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2019 NGK - Laser Iridium spark plugs

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Yeah he has great videos.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R Spec SE
    OEM Full Front Brush Guard
    OEM New Style- Fold Down Windshield
    OEM Spare Tire Rack
    OEM Yamaha Cargo Box
    PRP 4.2 Harnesses
    Seizmik Halo Rear View Mirror
    Factor 55 Rear Hitch Link 2.0
    WARN Axon 35-S with Rocker & Cable Remote/ Factor 55 UltraHook
    Midland MXT 115 GMRS Radio
    Sedona Sparx Wheels - Sedona Rips Saw - 27.9.14 F & 27.11.14 R

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Ripsaw
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    There are likely quite a few makes and model options available. Thing is the great majority of the spec's are deceiving and misleading. Most won't work at all when you need it. You got to remember that the videos created and especially those supporting key manufactures like NOCO are only positive and controlled conditions. Such as when they got it to work.

The condition for a booster where it must work.
    -Battery very low < 10 VDC
    - Battery cold near 0 F or -15C
    - the Booster pack also very cold at the same temp. (knowone is going to have one stored inside a warm house, retrieving it when needed)
    - gauge of cables sufficient with clamps that can make good surface contact (if thin metal (non copper) without a good area clampling all the hundreds of cranking amps going to burn through a single point burning sputtering to high resistance.
    - Cranking Amps!!! CCA is only specification which means anything. Peak Cranking or Peak amps is usless. You loose the surface boost potential the moment to make connect to the battery which is shunting the current off the booster. There is no peak in the real world. you'll see 600 -1000 Peak advertised. But that CC (cranking amps is usually 200 to 300 few are higher but its the Cold Cranking Amps you really want. Lithium batteries don't perform near as well when very cold as when warm in a house!!! If you vehicle does not start normally in one second turning the key, a sustained cranking of two to three seconds going to need a good unit with no less than 400 CCA

I have read and looked at many tests done and of the many models tested none pushed even 200 CCA in the test done in on controlled independent tester did. NOCO would not even work but shut down from the load entirely doing nothing. You'll see a lot of reviews on them but overpriced garbage.

Some pack boast 12000 to 20000 mAH capacity which is the storage rating of the cell. As per many Chinese cells the number are fake if you look for Lithium 18650 or larger on ebay for lights etc. Some said 5000mAH, not such capacity was ever achieved by the best companies in the business. You have to beware an skeptical.

If in doubt just get a good LEAD ACID Booster as the have sealed batteries but do work when you need them. Just as above confirm the CCA since it the current you need to turn over your engine.

If its for an SxS a function set of cables will do when riding with others, and if a SUV etc. Cheaper just getting CAA as it will cost at least as much for a working unit if you can find one. Many feed back on the boosts on store sites show buyer finding the units did not work when they went to use them. LOL So the security was false in having one.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Ripsaw
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    I just watched the video. My post above was based on research I had done over that last two years looking for one. I never bought one. YET!!

NOTE: In testing, in all but three the voltage dropped below 10VDC at their max current. When starting from you auto battery your voltage rarely drops below 11VDC, you can test it yourself easily. Also a lot of electronics may not operate properly at or below 10VDC. Odds are its not dropping quite that low when cranking so its a very key spec. Note: Nothing is going to turn over a 4VDC at whatever current nor the electrical circuits function either.

The cold booster performance dropped as expected especially the NOCO (I had the chuckle throughout the tests where it failed miserably). The one point I'd say is the situation would be worst if the truck and tractor were ALSO at or near 0 F (-15C) as the booster was in the load test. The Adew and other may do the jobs for many and SxS with lower CCA requirements. Would I trust them on my SUV. Not sure and would depend on price here.

The reviewer did a very good all round review and condition set emphasizing some points. Although few error when it was not crank on one said "no enough volts, it should be not enough current" but minor detail

If you are required mainly for above freezing temps > 32F the first two sounds good.
    Greggo likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    I agree with Tripplec, with one addition. A few years back I purchased a middle of the road brand jumper pack. This was one of those units that had jump-start capabilities plus air compressor plus light plus inflater plus plus plus back scratcher.... you get the picture. It was hit and miss on if it worked or not. Had to be in perfect conditions to function. Well, about a year after I bought it, my stepson backed over it with the tractor and mashed the crap out of it. Most people would have just tossed it, but guys like us don't do that, we take shit apart to see whats in there! Long story short, I took the cables and hooked them directly to the battery tossed the rest (including the housing). I charged it up with my battery tender, and now this thing is a BEAST!!! I believe I could jump-start a D-9 CAT Bulldozer with it!! It's small, holds a charge for a long time, and works every time. Removing all the extra crap from this unit left all the power doing the one job that I really bought t for. Been thinking about installing some wiring to be able to charge the unit from the Wolverines system while riding. If that is possible...
    Tripplec and Greggo like this.

2019 X2
    Yamaha one piece windshield
    JBL Sound System
    LED Interior Lights
    1.5" wheel spacers
    SxS Enclosures Soft Cab

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    I use this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whistler-...icles/52628069

it has worked every time for me, has started my F-250 V-10, lawn mowers, dead for weeks car batteries, etc. They DO work. And if you're out by yourself and have an issue, it will save your bacon.

Here's the bigger one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whistler-...ll&athena=true

Whatever you get, make sure it has reverse polarity protection, so it doesn't blow out the diode in the cable assembly if you get it crossed. I know, I have a positive ground tractor I blew another one out on...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-09-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    atkbike likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Alpine white

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

Ripsaw
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    Hmm using it in the summer I expect. Quick look at the spec's (limited) it low current. The bigger one is 400A Peak so the actual is usually less than half at best. They claim 240A, on a sunny day with lightning to boost to boost you. LOL

They can save your bacon, when they work.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    I have the NOCO Boost Plus GB40.
    I had to use it to start a Can Am that had battery issues on a ride this weekend.
    Someone else had a off brand. He got it out, but only had 11.5 volts showing and it wouldn't jump him.

5 minutes later, a RZR died and for whatever reason, it wouldn't jump him. It showed that it was fully charged.
    We had to get jumper cables to get him going, but we used the light from the NOCO to see as it was dark out.

Bottom line, I still pack cables <<<< This
    Wolverinegramps likes this.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    STI HD9 Matte Black Machined Beadlock Wheels
    GBC Kanati Terra Master 28x10-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATV’s Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Ripsaw
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    Any pack needs to be charged/topped up every so often. Some say 3 month, 6 months or 12 months. I'd do it more often than they say, especially before a big outing, to be sure or as sure as one can be. From all I have come across the GB40 is the worst of the lot in the advertised class. Even the sealed lead acid boosters need topping up and to keep sulfating at bay as well but the most reliable generally speaking if they have enough Crank Amps to start easily. U1 are too bad to get cables to connect to unlike ATV batteries.

As for topping up or charging SxS or ATV and other batteries. I have had good luck with the NOCO G1100 Smart Charger. I also have a G3500, but let me down a number of times. I am on my 3rd one. They came with 5 year warranty so the store just replaces them.
    Last edited by Tripplec; 02-10-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links