Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ?? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ??

This is a discussion on Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ?? within the Audio, Lighting and Electrical forums, part of the General Discussions category; Disclaimer, I didn't hook it up to the RZR. I gave it to him and went to go do something. When I got back it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Battery jump starter/booster recommendations ??

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Disclaimer, I didn't hook it up to the RZR. I gave it to him and went to go do something.
    When I got back it was connected under his dash inside. He doubled checked the clamps, but I couldn't see if the boost light was on either.
    It did show a full charge when I handed it to him.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    STI HD9 Matte Black Machined Beadlock Wheels
    GBC Kanati Terra Master 28x10-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATVís Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    I have the NOCO Boost Plus GB40.
    I had to use it to start a Can Am that had battery issues on a ride this weekend.
    Someone else had a off brand. He got it out, but only had 11.5 volts showing and it wouldn't jump him.

5 minutes later, a RZR died and for whatever reason, it wouldn't jump him. It showed that it was fully charged.
    We had to get jumper cables to get him going, but we used the light from the NOCO to see as it was dark out.

Bottom line, I still pack cables <<<< This
    I considered a battery/booster pack but decided against it. I carry a set of booster cables with me. It may be old school but I know it will get the job done if required. I rarely ride alone and my friends would have no problem giving me a boost or I would happily boost them.
    I purchased them years ago when I bought my first 4 stroke sled. Iíve only used them once but donít go anywhere without them. I also carry a set in each of my vehicles.
    SKELLEY521 likes this.
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27Ē Bearclaw HTRís
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Ripsaw
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    Disclaimer, I didn't hook it up to the RZR. I gave it to him and went to go do something.
    When I got back it was connected under his dash inside. He doubled checked the clamps, but I couldn't see if the boost light was on either.
    It did show a full charge when I handed it to him.
    It should have worked a 2nd time for sure. For me any charger has to be able to work in the Winter Period. Charger cold, vehicle cold, a warm engine and one sat in the summer sun takes much less to crank over to start. That GB40 should be tested later to be sure its actually working. It maybe under warranty and the stores can't repair them but just send them back. I would bother me thinking it might not work carrying it. I have a digital voltmeter in all my vehicles SUV (light socket w/USB charge ports), SxS in dash one replacing the console one which is not accurate, ATV (also lighter socket one) I need to know that the charging system is working and if I see the voltage at or under 13VDC I begin to worry, some times its just from a lot of winch use plowing and I watch it don't drop too low. The engine will quit.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Experienced
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    I carry one of the lithium powered booster packs in the Wolvy and my SUV. I have used them for both with no problems. I charge them every 3 mo. But the need only a 1/4 charge to top off. I will always have one with me. They are great tools.
    atkbike and Tripplec like this.
    The mountains are calling and I must go. 2016 RSpec Spec Ed
    Gorilla winch, Seizmic mirrors, EMP rear shield, Rugged Radio with intercom, 20" light bar, horn plays Dixie, 2"Perfex lift, Kenda Bearclaws ,Trail Tech temp gauge, Yama rear box and bumper, Throttle Max, tow rope to pull Polaris and Canams. TGM doors and door bags, Power Commander V. TCP "Mudder"radiator,Hunterworks high output fan, Superatv split windshield, extra wide homemade flex fenders.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    A few years back when these things were new, I remember the gist of a story on another forum about a rider in a large Razor in a group, who's battery was down and not able to start and when another group came by, asked if anyone had some jumper cables. Instead of jumper cables one guy offered his small booster to the guy to use. Razor guy said it would not start his big unit and the discussion wound up with a $100 bet it would. The guy started his Razor, and sheepishly presented his $100. The good hearted Samaritan took his money, but gave him the booster seeing that Razor battery was not in good shape and he would need it again on the trail. Both drove away happy.
    Personally I believe a big advantage to these units is that, even though I want to help someone, I do not want some inebriated or inexperienced clown on the other end of some jumper cables connected to my Wolv, inadvertently frying my electrics/electronics.
    Edit: Greggo thx for the post on video, surfed Amazon last night after watching review. One of the top-rated units had a $30 off coupon and I was hooked lol. I have a 400 size and went with a 2000 that should do my small diesel OK. I liked the points made about the cold temperature and I always carry mine in the cab under the seat so I guess a better opportunity to have it warm when needed.
    Last edited by jimclemjr; 02-10-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Doc T likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I use them all the time, at my place of work and personally, primarily for small engines. I have had great success with them and would recommend to anyone. I also believe that as they are a tool, they need maintenance and care like anything else. This is what I'm currently using and has started snowmobiles at -20C and SxS's at 35C.

Schumacher SL1314

Just my 2 cents. I also carry cables, but for the solo missions this is great.
    Last edited by Stroodle; 02-10-2020 at 10:52 AM. Reason: screwed up my sentence!
    atkbike, Wolverinegramps and Doc T like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 SE
    Yamaha Warn 3500 Provantage w/synthetic
    rope and wireless remote
    22" curved LED bar
    Stroodle Aluminum box rails
    Kolpin Stronghold rifle and chainsaw boot
    26" Maxxis BigHorn 3.0
    Hunterworks Sheave/weights
    Weller Racing flash
    On my second roof - don't ask!
    More to come...

Experienced
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    I carry the battery jumper in the rear cargo box which is always heated by the exhaust anyway. The reason for the jumper in the first place was battery drain over a week. I finally found it was due to my rugged radio. I have since put in a line switch to solve this.
    Last edited by Doc T; 02-10-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    jimclemjr likes this.
    The mountains are calling and I must go. 2016 RSpec Spec Ed
    Gorilla winch, Seizmic mirrors, EMP rear shield, Rugged Radio with intercom, 20" light bar, horn plays Dixie, 2"Perfex lift, Kenda Bearclaws ,Trail Tech temp gauge, Yama rear box and bumper, Throttle Max, tow rope to pull Polaris and Canams. TGM doors and door bags, Power Commander V. TCP "Mudder"radiator,Hunterworks high output fan, Superatv split windshield, extra wide homemade flex fenders.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc T View Post
    I carry the battery jumper in the rear cargo box which is always heated by the exhaust anyway. The reason for the jumper in the first place was battery drain over a week. I finally found it was due to my rugged radio. I have since put in a line switch to solve this.
    I never really thought about the cargo box being heated but so true when you consider the location....thx
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Wolverinegramps I pack cables in all my vehicles also. I even gave a set to all the kids for their vehicles this past Christmas as one of their presents....lol.
    Quality set and I feel better knowing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverinegramps View Post
    I considered a battery/booster pack but decided against it. I carry a set of booster cables with me. It may be old school but I know it will get the job done if required. I rarely ride alone and my friends would have no problem giving me a boost or I would happily boost them.
    I purchased them years ago when I bought my first 4 stroke sled. Iíve only used them once but donít go anywhere without them. I also carry a set in each of my vehicles.
    Wolverinegramps likes this.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    STI HD9 Matte Black Machined Beadlock Wheels
    GBC Kanati Terra Master 28x10-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATVís Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Ripsaw
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    Many of those linked aren't available in Canada at least not on Amazon.CA
    Anyone buying one you need to ensure you buy a make/model that WORK. Test it after purchase as well to be sure as well. False confidence won't help when you need it. It appears more reliable ones are appearing now. I don't know about a heated cargo box. The one between the front seats likely the warmest area. But the boost won't warm up for quite some time riding IMO. A COLD test is important which is the worst case scenario. A 12VDC charging option with you (might be just a cable) could also be a beneficial carry with (although most are 16VDC approx. so an adapter maybe needed) I can be recharged on the trail riding if so. Just a thought.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links