I need an intercom that supports two headsets and also connects to a handheld radio
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

I need an intercom that supports two headsets and also connects to a handheld radio

This is a discussion on I need an intercom that supports two headsets and also connects to a handheld radio within the Audio, Lighting and Electrical forums, part of the General Discussions category; In the winter while we are doing a lot of riding on the Arizona border, my wife and I find we don't get to communicate ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I need an intercom that supports two headsets and also connects to a handheld radio

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times

In the winter while we are doing a lot of riding on the Arizona border, my wife and I find we don't get to communicate much, even though there is a lot to talk about. The scenery is spectacular. But it is hard to talk over engine noise, especially since my bad ear is on her side. I'd like to be able to use headsets to cut down on noise, and an intercom to allow us to talk back and forth, In the summer we ride with a club in the high mountains and forests. That group wants you to be on a CB or Family Radio channel while you ride. Does anyone know of a headset-based intercom system that will also let you plug in a handheld radio? And talk via VOX rather than using a push-to-talk switch. I've been over all the posts here and haven't seen this covered. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    I believe you would have to get to a sophisticated system like Rugged Radio has and reprogram the radio to FRS channels, if that is possible with their frequencies (probably is) (UHF 462.xxxx MHz) . You are talking about some big bucks (big to me). Alternatively I have two Fodsport motorcycle helmet sets (Amazon) that work VOX and have used a CB with an extension speaker mounted on rear roof bar above my right ear that is easy to hear and grab the microphone to respond when needed. Make sure you want a lot of group chatter in your ear and sharing thoughts with/from your wife shared with all. The Fodsport are bluetooth and can link up to 16 riders together and get about 1/2 mile range and they daisy chain to the whole group if properly set-up. There are also systems by Sena and others reputable companies. Can look and buy some of those at Cycle Gear stores/website. Hope this helps.
    Desert Pete likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harn, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Autocom will do this... I've been using it on numerous motorcycles since 2008. It's a small box wired to the bike, with harnesses to plug the helmets in. Pairs with bluetooth for phone and gps, and you plug a radio into said box via a seperate harness. For the 2 way radio it can be auto vox or a push to talk button on the handlebar.
    The intercom and speakers are great. Several times I've ridden on the bike and my kids would have walkie talkies in the car driving nearby. Crisp sound from helmet to helmet and no-one could tell I'm even on the bike when talking to them. Gets difficult for me to hear them though, when 140 kmph or more.
    Desert Pete likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    How about an aviation intercom? They use VOX for passengers and PTT to transmit on the radio. I wouldn't use VOX for the radio since other vehicles don't want to listen to chit chat between your passengers. Newer intercoms have Bluetooth and aux audio inputs so you can listen to music.

Here's the setup in my '47 J3 Cub which has no electrical system. I have a small 12v battery to power the intercom and radio. Ignore the extra crap in the 3D printed case - a voltmeter, hour meter, and power switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    jimclemjr and Desert Pete like this.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Been researching this a little more... Bluetooth GMRS radio and should be able to pair with any helmet Bluetooth headset. Can get both for 50 bucks.

I have a bluetooth helmet headset now, along with a separate autocom system. I'll pick up a Bluetooth radio.
    Desert Pete likes this.

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    thats a great idea , i think this system will work . I don't wear a helmet so i would some sort of headset .I have a system similiar to this i use on the motorcycle . That system fits inside our helmets and it works really well .

Sena Tufftalk, Over-the-Head Earmuff with Long-Range Bluetooth Communication
    Last edited by fjrmurph; 01-08-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Thanks to all who responded. I've been following the discussion via my iPhone Max but wasn't able to log in and reply. Not sure why. But I'm back at my computer now so here goes: The Sena Tuftalk suggestion from fjrMurph sounds like a great option, but they cost $400 apiece! Yikes!. Maggot's suggestion of a motorcycle helmet system sounds good if I can find a system that doesn't involve a helmet. We ride slow with harnesses in a roll cage, so no helmets. I had the same idea as Punkinhead, and dug out the old portable system I used to use in a rental Cessna 172 that had no intercom. But I really don't wan to use my Dave Clark headsets, they'd get too dirty. But that's still on the table. JimClemjr's suggestion about reprogramming a Rugged Radio is probably beyond my skill set and the "big bucks" comment makes it less attractive. So after digesting all your comments, I'm thinking I need to find a couple of noise canceling, over -the -ear headset with mic booms and VOX capability, that will connect to each other and also with a radio through a system like the one Maggot described. Then I just need to make sure VOX works for the intercom function but not for the radio. I"ll report back where when I find all that. Thanks again to all, for your support and suggestions.
    Maggot likes this.

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    i've been doing some reading/research . yes i agree that the Tufftalk system is a bit steep more than i want to spend SO
    https://www.amazon.ca/Sena-Bluetooth...8S2691668QWW23
    I have this set up i use with my motorcycle , it fits inside the helmets we use and it works great . We have been using it for a few years now . We rode across Canada using this system it is bluetooth and will link to a cell phone and i was able to link it with my GPS for prompts and directions. My plan is take this system out of the motorcycle helmets , buy a reasonably cheap set of head phones and install that system in the headphones . I want to go with headphones because they will help with the engine noise on long runs but will still be able to communicate with the boss. She will be able to tell me to slow down without having to raise her voice !!!! I will have control of the volume for when she tells me to slow down one too many times LOL. I have a set of headphone ordered on Amazon $25.00 each i think , we'll see if this all works out .

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
    Been researching this a little more... Bluetooth GMRS radio and should be able to pair with any helmet Bluetooth headset. Can get both for 50 bucks.

I have a bluetooth helmet headset now, along with a separate autocom system. I'll pick up a Bluetooth radio.
    I'm struggling to find GMRS radios that will pair with headphones AND allow the headphones to keep their intercom role. One said this: Bluetooth compatible -allows radio to pair with Bluetooth headset for “hands-free” operations. So I guess it means we can both talk on the radios via bluetooth. But not use the bluetooth headsets as an intercom. Unless the secret is the autocom system. So far, searches for "Autocom" have taken me to a company that makes clutch parts. I did, however, find the Sena SR10-10 Bluetooth Adapter for Two-Way Radios or Mobile Phones. But I believe users said you had to leave it set to radio or to intercom but it couldn't do both at the same time.

So far the best intercom I've found seems to be the Eartec UL2D UltraLITE Full Duplex Wireless bluetooth units, a pair (or more) of self-contained headsets. They provide muffs for sound dampening and noise cancelling boom mics. All battery operated, so no wires. About $400 for two. But unless I can get some other system to pair with it they won't give me the radio capability.
    Last edited by Desert Pete; 01-12-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Here's the autocom stuff.

Autocom | Bluetooth & Wired Helmet Communication Headsets

No experience with the bluetooth/radio interaction but I'm not understanding this.. The radio interaction will still come thru the Bluetooth headset.

""So I guess it means we can both talk on the radios via bluetooth. But not use the bluetooth headsets as an intercom""

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links