second battery
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

second battery

This is a discussion on second battery within the Audio, Lighting and Electrical forums, part of the General Discussions category; hi guys I want to install a second battery the right way it's for a 4500lbs warn winch,a200w front light bar and a small light ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: second battery

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question second battery

hi guys I want to install a second battery the right way it's for a 4500lbs warn winch,a200w front light bar and a small light in back went thru all the threads my head is spinning looked at the oem one 350$ wow there isn't 200$ in parts there has anyone did it them selves any help would be great thanks tex.

rlk
    Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Its $276.00 from Yamaha sports plaza and they don't charge tax on some states. Its pricey, but the part thats really critical, is the device that sends power to the battery that needs it. If you can red neck that. then other parts are easily had. Have to make your own brackets to hold it down thou.
    Haven't purchased anything from them yet, but OEM doors are on the list.
    2019 Wolverine X2
    OEM Glass windshield
    OEM Rear glass
    OEM Arm guards
    OEM Brush guard
    AMS 27" Evil 1 tires
    KFI winch mount
    Warn Axiom 35 winch
    KFI 66" Poly Plow with flap/markers

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    You can get a battery isolator from various sources which handles the current for isolation. Use a buss bar terminal from A battery to power the add ons. Another feed through a 30-40A auto relay for those you want to go off if the engine isn't on. I take it you will run the winch from the AUX battery side of the isolator such that it won't run down the primary battery. A battery tray etc for a location will take some thinking (beers help figuring it out, in the summer anyway)!! E-trailers has various battery boxes cheap if thats what you're thinking. https://www.etrailer.com/

Good lug crimped connections are key. I like to solder as well those exposed to the elements when possible. Most likely good with 8 gauge wire. I butched an old booster cable set for the wire once as it was all copper, some of todays cable are only plated copper or aluminum. I wouldn't use either.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I am NO electrical wizard, actually have very little electrical knowledge but,,, Isn't the point of a second battery to eliminate (or reduce) the chance of draining the main battery so low it will no longer start the vehicle? If so, why wouldn't you just use a split charger relay with a switch to charge a second battery? Cut-in the second battery while riding (charging), cut-off when the machine is off and using accessories. If you use too much power and deplete the main battery, just cut-in the backup, start you rig, and be on your way while both get recharged!

Side note, Finding a place to mount a second battery may be a challenge. One way to minimize this challenge would be to source the smallest battery that has the amps to start our rigs. My ZX10 has a battery that is about the same size as a can of corn (tiny), and I'm sure it would handle starting a Wolverine easily if used in the method above. Just thinking out loud....

2019 X2
    Yamaha one piece windshield
    JBL Sound System
    LED Interior Lights
    1.5" wheel spacers
    SxS Enclosures Soft Cab

rlk
    Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    the second battery goes under the drivers seat, the X2 and the kit are made for each other. Yamaha eliminated the red neck stuff for you!
    2019 Wolverine X2
    OEM Glass windshield
    OEM Rear glass
    OEM Arm guards
    OEM Brush guard
    AMS 27" Evil 1 tires
    KFI winch mount
    Warn Axiom 35 winch

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I wouldn't call skipping the OEM price tag "redneck". You can buy good quality components a lot cheaper and if you don't have the skills to fabricate a simple bracket you probably shouldn't be working on your own vehicles.

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    hi guys I want to install a second battery the right way it's for a 4500lbs warn winch,a200w front light bar and a small light in back went thru all the threads my head is spinning looked at the oem one 350$ wow there isn't 200$ in parts there has anyone did it them selves any help would be great thanks tex.
    You should not be winching without the engine running. Depending on load and winch spec's you could be pulling 100A or more on some. The Stator I believe is either 600 or 900 watts and will keep the engine running during the winching. Its going to be a lot harder to get the machine started if you run the battery down or not at all. it depends on what situation you might find yourself in. Certainly not need for normal plowing situations.

Carrying another battery in the back, U1 or automotive with cables is a lot cheaper than these kits etc. A battery based booster pack is another option but I'd stay away from those small lithium booster. Many times I have read they don't work when people have needed them. You have the space for any of these options, just strap them down/in tight.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

rlk
    Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    If one has spent $14,000 for a Wolverine, then what the hell is another $300 for something that works? Buy the kit! Sheezz
    SKELLEY521 likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2
    OEM Glass windshield
    OEM Rear glass
    OEM Arm guards
    OEM Brush guard
    AMS 27" Evil 1 tires
    KFI winch mount
    Warn Axiom 35 winch

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rlk View Post
    If one has spent $14,000 for a Wolverine, then what the hell is another $300 for something that works? Buy the kit! Sheezz
    Oh my, its an expensive option not really needed. PS They start over $21,000 here FYI and even in the Winter the money trees aren't growing!!!
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

rlk
    Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #