Riding in Hatcher Pass Alaska
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Riding in Hatcher Pass Alaska within the Wolverine Pictures / Videos forums, part of the General Discussions category; What a beautiful ride we had on Saturday. Also some challenging riding trails with large rocks, off camber trails and steep hills. We ended up ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 9 Post By AlaskaGriz
  • 1 Post By kukini
  • 1 Post By Open Trails Alaska
  • 1 Post By MORSNO
  • 1 Post By Tracen8r
  • 3 Post By AlaskaGriz
  • 1 Post By AlaskaGriz

Thread: Riding in Hatcher Pass Alaska

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times

What a beautiful ride we had on Saturday. Also some challenging riding trails with large rocks, off camber trails and steep hills. We ended up on top of a mountain with the Highest Mountain in North America laid out in front of us. Also picked a few containers of Blueberries. I'm looking forward to some blueberry pancakes - lol

btw: The new custom bed top (like a boat canopy) works great and looks great.

Here's some pictures.

Dave

Name:  IMG_3152.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  2.53 MB
    Name:  IMG_3154.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  2.59 MB
    Name:  IMG_3091.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  2.07 MB
    Last edited by AlaskaGriz; 08-19-2019 at 12:26 AM.
    2019 Wolverine X2 Special Edition (Blue); 28” Blackwater Evolution Tires; 3500 lb Winch; SuperATV Split Windshield; Custom Bed Canopy; ATVTech Mirrors, Throttle Max

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Right on! Kinda takes your breath away, don't it!
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Warn 3500 Provantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Hard Coated Windscreen
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Warn #3500 Pro Vantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Folding Windshield
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    I would love to ride there.
    Tracen8r likes this.
    Progress is man’s ability to complicate simplicity.

2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-spec SE(SOLD)
    Yamaha front/rear bumpers
    Yamaha Warn Provantage 3500 winch
    Yamaha half-window
    Yamaha storage box
    27" Sedona Coyotes
    Alba Racing ECU reflash
    Two $10 mirrors
    Yamaha High Output 15" HALO LED Light Bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member Open Trails Alaska's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Great pics!!!!!

I thought you couldn’t ride that far east in the pass. Is it all the way to the lake?
    Tracen8r likes this.
    Blue 2016 R Spec EPS
    Warn 3500 winch
    Yamaha 1/2 windshield
    ITP Blackwater Evolutions 27x9x12 27x11x12
    ITP Hurricane Wheels
    Seizmik Pursuit Side Mirrors/Seismik Rear View Mirror
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Bed Box/Yamaha Rear Grab Bar (Bumper)
    Yamaha Overfenders
    Hunterworks PC V Controller with AIS Block Off Plate
    ThrottleMaxx/YXZ Steering Wheel
    TGM/Konstruktor Doors w/Graphics and Door Bags
    Hunterworks HO SPAL Radiator Fan
    SuperATV 2" Lift Kit

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Trails Alaska View Post
    Great pics!!!!!

I thought you couldn’t ride that far east in the pass. Is it all the way to the lake?
    There is a gate and a sign where the off limits area is when coming from the West towards the Summit Lake pass. I don't think he was that far up the main road, but he may be up the valley to the left just before that point on the road that goes up to the mine (tons of switchbacks). I used to ride snowmachines up there and hated dealing with the park rangers on the East side.
    Tracen8r likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    I've rode 4wheels up a little bit on the trails off the main road coming up from Willow. I don't remember where it is, but there is one that takes off the left hand side and goes over the mountain. About halfway up or so there is a memorial headstone/marker for the man that Ft Richardson was named after. From there I didn't go any farther cause I was chicken. 3 point turns on 2 or 3 of the switchbacks scratched my itch for seeing what was on the other side. I'd bet you guys know where I am talking about.
    MORSNO likes this.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    There is a gate and a sign where the off limits area is when coming from the West towards the Summit Lake pass. I don't think he was that far up the main road, but he may be up the valley to the left just before that point on the road that goes up to the mine (tons of switchbacks). I used to ride snowmachines up there and hated dealing with the park rangers on the East side.
    We did ride up to the gate but didn't go past it as it is clear that is not allowed. Just before the gate there is a trail that goes back to a mine shaft but it is blocked by a gate as it is private property. There are some pretty wild switchbacks carved into the mountain but they cannot be accessed due to private property. Picture is attached.

The next trail/valley headed back down the road is called Cragie Creek Trail. It's in the next valley back towards Willow and below the Mining Operation and is the 3rd picture I posted. It goes up to a cool waterfall that runs flat over the rocks. Picture attached.

The pictures on the top looking at Denali are from a trail way down in the Willow Creek Valley where the camping pullouts are next to Willow Creek. The trail goes up the left side and is a bit challenging but not tooooo bad. Have to pick your path and skirt around/over some good size rocks. Nothing to hit the skid plate though. Anyway this trail goes over the top and down to Purchess Creek and then it does go up the next mountain on the other side. I've only been part way up that next mountain but the group I was with was ready to call it a day a few years back. You can go back up over the top and back down to Fishhook Road or go through 3 swamps that come out at the Willow Creek Bridge.

I would love to go with a group back up there rather than just the wife an me in our Wolverine alone.

Dave

Name:  IMG_3032.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  1.55 MB
    Name:  IMG_3125.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  2.94 MB
    Last edited by AlaskaGriz; 08-19-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Tracen8r, kukini and MORSNO like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 Special Edition (Blue); 28” Blackwater Evolution Tires; 3500 lb Winch; SuperATV Split Windshield; Custom Bed Canopy; ATVTech Mirrors, Throttle Max

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Well Dave, I'm thinking you have a whole bunch more experience than me on any trail/area around here. I'm up for the whole block and tackle double winchfest why the hell did we do that and now how do we get back fest. It's not by any means my normal riding style, but typically get into at least one like that every year. Depending on the fire, riding up there may not be doable for this weekend but next weekend is open for me. I had a thought of heading to Eureka for a last shot of pleasure riding before the angry hordes descend for hunting season, but that can always be changed.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    3 1/2 " Highlifter Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Stock Steel Rims
    Mudlite II
    2" Perfex Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1551 times
    We are headed back up to Eureka this weekend as it seems like the only place not on fire at the moment. The wife wants to hit the Fair Friday morning and then head up around lunch time or early afternoon. I almost went to P-Ville last weekend, glad we had a change in plans, we'd have been stuck on the other side of the fire for a day or so.

I'm like AlaskaGriz and don't wan't to get in too many situations when riding alone. Hatcher Pass, nicknamed Crasher Pass in the snowmachine world, has big ass rocks everywhere and things can get bad quick! I've only rode ATV's on the lower Willow Creek end of the road and that was with a decent size group where we had many more winching options/anchor points.

Be safe guys!
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    @Tracen8tr and MORSNO~

I hear ya on riding outside of capability and taking risks whether being stuck or worse. I try to assess the situation and when riding alone definitely take less risks. I am thinking of going up to Eureka this weekend too because of the smoke everywhere else. Maybe we can meet up?? I was thinking Belanger Pass would be a reasonable ride on down to Albert Creek. Also looking at scouting/finding one more connecting trail from there to Cameron Pass. I know how to do it via the high ridge line overlooking the Glenn Highway, but there is a middle trail that looks promising too. I know where it starts but need to go far enough to see that it connects and not going all the way to Cameron Pass - just to a Mining Camp and airplane runway.

btw: When we were on the top of that ridge at Willow Creek, we saw the start of the fire on the Parks Highway. Here is a picture of it.

Dave

Name:  IMG_2616.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  1.37 MB
    MORSNO likes this.

Sponsored Links